Send Topic Print
Carb Rebuild Kit - 2012 (Read 47 times)
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Carb Rebuild Kit - 2012
03/05/23 at 08:03:52

The search function isn't kind to me, so please forgive a question that's often been asked.  

1.  What is a source for a good carburetor rebuild kit for a 2012?  Many of the "OEM" parts sites don't list the LS650 at all after a certain model year, and I don't know anything about the carb differences throughout the years or the E28, E33, etc., variants.  Most of the kits I see seem to stop compatibility after 2009.  How could they not know the bike was produced until 2019?

2.  Is the float valve assembly included in a rebuild kit?  I see something that looks very much like the needle of the "VALVE ASSY/NEEDLE" (#19 in a carburetor microfiche) in the cheap rebuild kits, but that assembly from the OEM suppliers costs $78.00.

Please point me to other threads if it's easier.  The search function just times out for me if I go beyond a year.  Thanks.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Carb Rebuild Kit - 2012
Reply #1 - 03/05/23 at 08:56:07

1. oem suppliers buy fiche for 100's of bikes and I doubt they know what they've got until a customer tells them it's not there.

the only good source of info is a factory service manual with all the updates.

2. cheap rebuild kits vs. oem (you get what you pay for)
may fit/work vs will fit/work
sometimes it's worth it but you gotta know the difference between sh!t and shineola.

WWW   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #2 - 03/05/23 at 10:00:31

I understand your points.  What I was saying about the needle assembly was that *this part alone* was $78.00 from an OEM place.  However, rebuild kits I've seen in various places are a fraction of this and seem to contain that float needle (but may not).  It just doesn't make sense that that little part is over 10% of the price of a new Suzuki carburetor.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 03/05/23 at 14:47:22

The carb kits are a crap shoot.  This post provides good details on what to look out for.  Pay particular attention to the idle mixture screw.  It's a dead giveaway.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1641171298

The kit offered by Parts Unlimited looks like it is legit, but I have not personally tested one.  They cost about $45 bucks and I'm not willing to shell out that much cash just to do an inspection and test. But the photographs indicate that the parts at least appear to be correct.  It's one of the most expensive kits that I see.  You get what you pay for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294538328097?epid=251719771&hash=item4493da3821:g:3i...

Looks like you get free shipping off eBay.

In the event that you purchase a kit, please be sure to do a post and let us all know what kit you buy, how much it costs, and how good (or bad) it is.

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #4 - 03/05/23 at 15:57:42

Thanks, DragBikeMike.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/06/23 at 16:48:57

Partzilla has OEM carb parts.  

I also ordered OEM jets from Jets R Us a few times.  They are crappy dickheads* but they have the OEM stuff. They make it very clear that they do not take returns because people can drill jets out and send them back.   But when they send you the wrong parts, they expect you to return the parts...and pay for the shipping!  

It was a $3 jet, that I couldn't return had I ordered it because I could have tampered with it.   But they asked me to send it back??  

I asked them to send the replacement and a label for return shipping.  They said the jet wasn't worth what it cost to ship it back.  I said, "Fine, just send me the correct jet".   They said only if they get the other jet back.   Shocked

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #6 - 03/06/23 at 18:51:01

Sending you the wrong part and making you pay to ship is idiotic.  Speaking of Revzilla, last time I ordered from J&P, the box was labeled Comoto.  They have gobbled up Revzilla, J&P, and Cycle Gear.  This is old news to many on here I'm sure.

Speaking of returning used or damaged parts, that reminds me of the trick some scumbag customers would pull when I worked at a K-Mart automotive department as a kid.  They would buy some seat covers, for example, and stuff their old seat covers in the box and return it, hoping some returns clerk wouldn't bother checking inside the box.  I'm sure it was done with plenty of other items.  My memory has faded, but it seems like we sold some honest to goodness auto parts there, like rotors and points and such.  Everything was out on pegs.

---------

ohiomoto wrote on 03/06/23 at 16:48:57:
Partzilla has OEM carb parts.  

I also ordered OEM jets from Jets R Us a few times.  They are crappy dickheads* but they have the OEM stuff. They make it very clear that they do not take returns because people can drill jets out and send them back.   But when they send you the wrong parts, they expect you to return the parts...and pay for the shipping!  

It was a $3 jet, that I couldn't return had I ordered it because I could have tampered with it.   But they asked me to send it back??  

I asked them to send the replacement and a label for return shipping.  They said the jet wasn't worth what it cost to ship it back.  I said, "Fine, just send me the correct jet".   They said only if they get the other jet back.   Shocked

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #7 - 03/10/23 at 08:10:41

Speaking of gobbling up...  The nearest to me motorcycle shop was Mike's Cycle Works in Carson City.  They underwent a huge remodel, but stayed open for business during the construction.  When it was completed is was relabeled Ridezilla.  Yup, same parent company as Partzilla, Revzilla, etc.  The one saving grace in this situation, imho, is they kept all the original employees after the ownership change.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 01:15:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Rebuild Kit - 2012

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.