Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Keihin PWK Main Air Bleed Mod (Read 115 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Keihin PWK Main Air Bleed Mod
02/13/23 at 16:03:44

Spring will be here before you know it.  The Savages will be coming out of hibernation.  I thought the few of you running a Keihin PWK might find this information helpful.

What I am about to describe worked good for me.  If you decide to try this stuff on your own, you assume responsibility for the outcome.  If you don’t have the skills, don’t do it.  If you don’t understand something, STOP and get help.  Get a manual.  Read up.  Comply with ALL the safety requirements outlined in the manual.  Make sure you know what you are doing before attempting any of these modifications.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Keihin PWK Main Air Bleed Mod
Reply #1 - 02/13/23 at 16:05:56

My Big Bore 4-Speed project was running good but it seemed to lack the low-end punch I’ve come to expect.  I’m running a 97mm pop-top with a short cylinder.  So, the compression ratio is bumped up a bit more than a standard Wiseco pop-top (from 9.5:1 to 10.5:1).   Even with the higher CR, it just didn’t have the part-throttle response that you get with a Wiseco flat-top.  It didn’t feel nearly as responsive.

Except for the main jet, the PWK was set up exactly the same as it was on the 97mm flat-top engine.  I was running a DGK slide needle and a 7.0 slide.  It had this killer hit about 3500 to 4000 rpm that made it seem really fast, but after riding it a bit I could tell that the hit was masking the lack of mid-range.  Even with a 145 main jet it seemed light on fuel.  So, I decided to switch from a DGK needle to an EGK.  The DGK has a 1°45’ taper; the EGK has a 2°00’ taper.  The tapers start at the same elevation and the basic needle diameters are the same, so low speed ops should not be affected.

With the EGK needle, part throttle ops were spectacular but now WOT was grossly rich.  That’s a valuable tidbit of info.  The only way that can occur is if the needle is metering fuel at WOT.  Reducing the main jet all the way down to a 132 brought the mixture at WOT to acceptable limits, but now it was light on fuel at part throttle again.

Time to look at the main air bleed.  On the PWK, the main air bleed is located behind the idle mixture screw (idle air screw).

Mix_Screw_Air_Bleed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 02/13/23 at 16:06:41

If you remove the idle mixture screw, you see a .075” hole.  It’s a fixed jet.  Make that hole smaller and the main jet picks up earlier and feeds more fuel as the engine speed increases.  Make the hole larger and the main jet picks up later and feeds less fuel proportional to engine speed.

Air_Bleed___075_2_003.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 02/13/23 at 16:07:19

The Mikuni VM has an adjustable main air bleed.  That would be a nice feature on the PWK.

Mikuni_MAB.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 02/13/23 at 16:08:01

I was reluctant to drill & tap the carb body, so I simply made some inserts from old main jets.  I used a #50, #60, #70, #80, #90 & #100.  It’s way easier to turn down the OD and length of the main jets than it is to drill those teeny weeny holes.  I ended up with a set of air bleeds that had holes ranging from .020” to 040”.

The OD is .221”.  The length is .150”.  The original jet is shown on the left, finished product on the right.

Mikuni_Main_to_PWK_Air.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 02/13/23 at 16:08:34

I used an old needle jet as a holder so that I could turn the main jet in my lathe.  You could easily do the same thing with a hand drill and a file.  Once you reduce the OD to .221”, just cut off the threaded portion with a hacksaw and dress it down with a mill-smooth file until you achieve a finished length of .150”.

Holding_Tool.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 02/13/23 at 16:09:11

The new air bleed slips into the hole behind the idle mixture screw.

Air_Jet_in_Place.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 02/13/23 at 16:09:53

When the mixture screw is reinstalled, the air jet is captured.

Air_Jet_Captured.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 02/13/23 at 16:10:57

Swapping out the air jet is a breeze.  Just pull off the air boot, remove the air correction screw, and snag the air jet with a large needle.  I prefer a rusty needle; it grips the jet better.  I made this tool from an old chop stick and a rusty sewing needle.

RR_Tool.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 02/13/23 at 16:16:52

After a little bit of fiddling, I got the Big Bore runnin like a top.  Perfect throttle response, loads of mid-range.  It’s a beast.  I know that not many of you are runnin the PWK.  For the few who are, this air bleed trick might be helpful.  You end up with a significantly smaller main jet.

Final jetting ended up as follows.

Pilot jet:            32     Ooooops!  My bad.  #35

Main Jet:            135

Main Air Bleed:            80 (.032”)

Slide:                  #7

Slide Needle:            EGK clip in center groove

Idle Mix Screw:            1.5 turns

I can’t explain why the same setup that I used on the flat-top engine didn’t work as well on the pop-top.  I do know that the pop-top uses a lot more fuel, and it runs best when the A/F is in the mid 11s while the flat-top seems to prefer mid 12s.  The pop-top is not nearly as efficient as the flat-top.  It’s always nice to have another tool to attack a problem.  Having the ability to adjust the main air bleed comes in handy.

Hope your weather warms up soon and all of you can get back in the saddle.

Best regards,

Mike

« Last Edit: 02/14/23 at 21:12:31 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #10 - 02/13/23 at 21:27:03

Professor DBM chimes in with another amazing post.  I still wish I had a lathe! Great info as always, Mike!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/14/23 at 09:29:49

Very interesting DBM.  I'm running the PWK40 (ok, it's $45 knock off) with a Jardine pipe and stock air box/filter.  I'm at a 45 primary jet and 160 main jet with the e-clip in the middle slot.  It's about right given crazy Houston winter weather (warm and humid one day and dry and cool the next).  I'm wondering why such a big difference between your jetting and my jetting (I don't have any air leaks.)  

Also -- I always get this confused....  if I am WOT in say 3rd/4th, I accelerate well but RPMs will actually rise with better power if I gently roll off the WOT throttle.  Is that a sign of being too lean or rich on the main jet?  

(I'm about to move the e-clip down 1 notch richer on the needle in an attempt to alleviate a little afterfire I usually get when closing the throttle completely on deceleration.)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/14/23 at 10:04:22

Copy from Mikuni Inc. website:

“ROLL-OFF:

The Roll-Off technique is the quickest and is almost as accurate as the Roll-On method. First, one gets the engine warm on the way to a safe roadway. If there is room, use fourth gear as this allows more time to assess the result.

Now, get the engine rpm high enough that it is on the cam and in its power band. This may need to be as high as 4000 rpm with some cam choices. Apply full throttle. Let the engine accelerate for a couple of seconds until it has settled in and is pulling hard. Quickly roll the throttle off to about the 7/8ths position. When you do this, the mixture richens slightly for a second or so.
If the engine gains power as you roll the throttle off, then the main jet is too small and you need to fit a larger one.
If the engine staggers slightly or has a hard hesitation, then the main jet is too large and you need to fit a smaller one.“

Basics:  pilot jet…idle to 1/4 throttle; needle…1/4-3/4 throttle; main jet…3/4-WOT

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 02/14/23 at 11:07:09

Thanks Lancer!  Exactly what I wanted to confirm!  Looks like another bump up on the main jet for me.  Let's try a #162.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 02/14/23 at 20:55:17

Paul, you are definitely runnin some seriously BIG jets.  The knock-off carbs come in a variety of configurations with all sorts of screwy parts. The ones I have run are faithful to the original Keihin design.  When I look at an illustrated parts breakdown (IPB), all the parts in mine look like the parts shown in the illustration.  This link will connect you with an IPB of a genuine PWK.

https://www.jetsrus.com/carburetor/carb_keihin_PWK33-41_carb_exploded_view_pa...

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 03:31:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Keihin PWK Main Air Bleed Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.