Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
25T Pulley Installation (Read 121 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 25T Pulley Installation
Reply #15 - 02/05/23 at 02:14:46

When I went to mount the longer spline pulley I made for myself....I also discovered the need to taper the splines.

I don't know if this is the best method for machining the Kawasaki pulley for the general public. - but it does provide a longer spline for the pulley and I thought that was a good idea.  I took pulley spacers off two engines - and they are really stuck on the shaft and getting them off was very difficult.  There is a rubber O-ring inside the spacer that keeps oil from flowing out between the spacer/shaft - and when it is hard and has congealed oil and rust gluing the spacer on.....it required a lot of yanking and wiggling with big Channel Lock pliers to get it loose. (I don't have any spares).

I like the reduced rpm that the pulley allows - my engine upgrades and lighter Cafe' bike have offset any acceleration drop caused by the pulley.....I am also running a lighter 18" aluminum rim and a 130/70-18 rear tire.  

« Last Edit: 02/05/23 at 03:19:44 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 02/05/23 at 12:31:41

Dave , Do you know your final drive ratio ? Did you do both pulleys ? Did you or Ryca mod the swingarm to fit that 130/70-18 ? The 120/90-18 is tight , now you got me thinking ! I’ve been afraid to try 130/70 on my 2.5 rim , I think you’re running a wider rims ? What do you think?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 02/05/23 at 13:02:18

Ruttly:

The 130/70-18 does not fit a 2.50" rim properly....I have a 3.50" wide rim on my Cafe' bike.  I did the RYCA thing with my first tire and put the 130/70 on a 2.50" rim - and the sidewalls are pulled in too far and the tread profile becomes overly rounded.  I wore out the middle of the tread in 6,000 miles, and the tread on the sides was impossible to reach no matter how far you lean over.  You did good by using a 120-90.

Yes, I am using a 25 tooth front pulley and a 65 tooth rear pulley.  Stock is 68/23 (2.9565) and mine is 65/25 (2.6). In 5th gear my engine is turning 3,500 rpm at 60mph, and 4,000 rpm at 70mph.  The double pulley setup is not for everyone - currently only Badwolf and I have that gearing on our bikes.  The double pulley setup moves the axle way back in the swingarm slots - I have plenty of room for the 130/70-18 tire without modifying the swingarm for clearance.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 02/05/23 at 14:19:59

Then I think your 101 mph is conservative , with a 2.6 ratio and what ever mods it should march right past that. Mine wound up at 2.77 and the 120/90-18 is a tall tire too. It depends on the brands too , the same tire size but not the same height. Continental was taller than the same size Dunlop. What is overall height of the rear tire ? Dunlop 404  is 26 5/8 +/-
I think me , you & badwolf need a long straight road. I don’t think DBM can attend but we extend the invitation. Someday the planets will align for us.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 02/05/23 at 14:47:55

After that we hit the twisties ! ! !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #20 - 02/05/23 at 15:03:20

By the way-I have some 25T pulleys machined up and ready to ship!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 02/05/23 at 16:50:47

Ruttly wrote on 02/05/23 at 14:19:59:
Then I think your 101 mph is conservative , with a 2.6 ratio and what ever mods it should march right past that.

My 101.1 was confirmed by my GPS speedometer....but the bike just wouldn't go any faster.  The accuracy of the GPS is confirmed by the Garmin - but they both are likely using the same satellites!

I believe my 38mm carb , stock header and double baffled muffler are likely a bit of a hindrance for my terminal velocity.  My fastest mph is obtained in 4th gear - in 5th the engine stops pulling at around the 85-90 mph range.  The smaller carb and restrictive muffler do however run really smoothly, and the neighbors appreciate that the bike is pretty quiet (they have all their fingers up when they wave at me).

Most of my riding is done at 50-60mph on the back roads and I seldom need more than half throttle to stay at the speeds the roads can allow.  I will be removing the 95mm pop top Wiseco and installing a 97mm flat top before long, installing the MAC header and a muffler that I got from DragBikeMike......and installing a steering damper as the darn bike gets wiggly as you approach triple digits!

« Last Edit: 06/30/24 at 04:07:40 by Dave »  

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 02/06/23 at 16:48:30

Hey Armen, I have an extra spacer.  I will send it to you.  Do me a favor.  There are two 6mm tapped holes in the 25T pulley.  They are adjacent to the internal splines.  Can you check to see if they can be used to lock the pulley nut (ala Harley Davidson).  I never checked and I'm too lazy to remove the nut and lock tab washer.  If a socket head cap screw or set screw can be installed against a flat on the nut, we can ditch the lock tab washer.

Dave, I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one to struggle with that spacer.  Those suckers are quite a challenge.  I hate grabbin on to those things with pliers.  It chews them up good.  A method that works well for me is to use a hose clamp.  You can then grab the clamp without chewing up the spacer.  It also allows the use of a screwdriver to pry the spacer loose.

Pulley_Spacer_Removal.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 02/06/23 at 16:51:05

A small hose clamp works great on the dowels too.  Just make sure there is a bit of clearance between the worm-screw and the deck so you don't mar the critical sealing surface.

Must_Have_Clearance.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 02/06/23 at 16:58:02

Thanks for the invite Ruttly.  You are correct, that excursion would be outa my tax bracket.  Alas, I am also gettin too old for those sorts of shenanigans.  Over here, there's no place to stretch its legs.  Ya run outa road long before you can reach terminal velocity.

:'(

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 02/06/23 at 17:42:05

Yeah I’m a bad influence to all I meet ! But that’s the whole point of the gps speedo & rewire. Get data , well I think it only does 0-60 , 1/4 mile , WFO/ top speed. After all that you can bet , I’m gettin some numbers to post. I just want to know if it’s worth a Dyno session. It would really have to impress me before I did that. I don’t think it’s all that fast. We will see.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 23:30:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 25T Pulley Installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.