Send Topic Print
New bike? or Not ! (Read 221 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: New bike? or Not !
Reply #15 - 01/25/23 at 07:29:05

I think it’s not what I want. It’s strictly having space , I will not leave any of my bikes outdoors. I got to sell some and then fix some and sell those too.
Tracker , BSA and maybe the sportster will stay. But I guess if I sell one I could buy one , I sound like MM.   Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 01/25/23 at 09:34:43

I sound like MM.  

Hay THANKS Ruttly

There are so many Bikes I'd love to "TRY-OUT" for a year .   Tongue

Of late ... the one that I don't have that I really liked was the W650 Kawasaki.     The rear fender was cracking (side to side) and to fix it would have evolved patching the weak spot on the back side then re-chroming ... or ...
using a aftermarket fender that would have destroyed the "restoring" of the bike.  
but
Between the W650 and the Guzzi V7 ... I kept the Guzzi , its one of the best thought-out machines I've ever seen.   So they should be , mine (2016) was the 49th year anniversary of their "V" design .

I'm trying hard to keep the bikes down to two !

« Last Edit: 01/26/23 at 06:20:52 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 01/25/23 at 10:11:43

Keeping the number down can be difficult.  It’s taken me 13 years to get back down to just one, but even so I find myself looking at more bikes every day…it’s just hard to not look at all those I would LIKE to have.
Yep.
My list of desired bikes:
An original  BSA Goldstar is just out of my price range; but a Yamaha XS/TX 650 twin; Kawasaki 750 twin; BSA B50; BSA/Triumph 750 triple; 1967  BSA Lightning/Hornet 650; Suzuki Titan 500 twin 2-stroke; and LS650’s of course.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #18 - 01/25/23 at 12:06:47

When you bring price into the mix, a lightly used S40 moves up near the top of the list. A few mods and it moves up more. I curse the day I sold my second one !
Cheers!  Cool
ps: my best mod? 18" front wheel !

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 01/25/23 at 12:41:11

If I didn't have my current bikes and needed to go buy something new - what would I buy?  If the description includes the words "Hypermotard, Naked, Street Fighter, or Urban Assault"....it isn't something I am going to want to own (I likely would eagerly take a ride on yours).  My Savage Cafe' solves my sunny day local ride on the backroads, my Sport Touring bikes fill my need for longer rides where I would like a windshield and some luggage....and a place for Deb to sit when she wants to ride along.

I just went and looked at the offerings from Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki......about the only thing that looked like something I would own is the W800.

So I looked at BMW...nothing in their current lineup I would buy.
I looked at Ducati - nothing.
I looked at Royal Enfield.  Maybe the Scram411 would do for the local and off road adventures.  The Interceptor is nice....but it has a chain.
I looked at Moto Guzzi.....they have the most potential to entice me to buy something with their new v100 Sport Touring bike.

It appears that if I want a "new" motorcycle I am going to have to buy an older one.  Some of the old BMW bikes are appealing to me.

I like the looks of the older BMW R1100RS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_R1100RS

The older Moto Guzzi Norge is a nice sport touring bike.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/moto-guzzi/norge/2006/

A Moto Guzzi Quota might be nice.
https://cadrecycle.com/2000-moto-guzzi-quota-1100es-w-9500-miles-7500/

As you can see.....my current interest is for mid-size sport touring bikes that have 2 cylinders sticking out the sides....and a drive shaft!

Currently my F800GT is the bike that fills that need, and it does it very nicely.  I bought it used and got a pretty good price, and the belt drive is carefree and lasts 50,000 miles or so.  I currently have 27,000 miles on the bike and I wear out a set of tires every year!  It is staying in my garage for a long time.
https://www.rideapart.com/reviews/255278/rideapart-review-2013-bmw-f800gt/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 01/25/23 at 15:00:36

A very very personal decision. Some years back I was shopping , found nothing that even came close. Tracker was built from that frustration. Still lookin ! Cookie cutter bikes are hard to buy it’s a compromise , something close but not what you really want. Someone on your block has one too ! Clearly the tracker makes me feel like an individual not like you or the guy down the block. I’ve been that way since I was young , I was thrown out of cub scouts cause I wouldn’t wear the uniform.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #21 - 01/25/23 at 16:29:43

OK guys, lets bring this to a close by throwing 400lbs into the mix: the Oscar goes to "lightly used S40".
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 01/25/23 at 19:23:42

Hay Lancer

I had one of the early Yamaha SX650 twin's .    It's brush type alt. fried its self at the first sign of a weak battery.   It did have more power than the W650 did ... but the fuel millage sucked.

The Kawasaki 750 twin would be one I'd like to ride if ya get one !   Smiley
I had a chance to buy one in the early 80's but I got a Honda 500 four instead .   I might still have the Kawasaki if I'd got it ?  

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_z750%2077.htm

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #23 - 01/25/23 at 21:20:10

This one will be leaving the stable when it's broken in and ready.

242269934_10217921026792333_4885342697591121775_n_001.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #24 - 01/25/23 at 22:33:07

ELR: one of my all-time favourites! Now let's see it in Z400RS form !
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 01/26/23 at 10:44:09

The BIG Gun , The MEAN Green , Very Nice

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 01/26/23 at 11:19:37

MMRanch wrote on 01/25/23 at 19:23:42:
Hay Lancer

The Kawasaki 750 twin would be one I'd like to ride if ya get one !   Smiley
I had a chance to buy one in the early 80's but I got a Honda 500 four instead .   I might still have the Kawasaki if I'd got it ?  

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_z750%2077.htm

In 1978 when at Pensacola FL for Naval flight school, I was shopping for a new bike and it came down to the Yamaha SR500, the Kawasaki 750 and a lightly used Norton Commando 850.  The SR500 was the sentimental favorite since I already had a  BSA Goldstar 500.  It won out.  I would like to have had all 3.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #27 - 01/26/23 at 15:16:49

OK guys, here we go (to the dealer!):
HD X350: and it's a twin!
https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-preview/what-we-know-about-the-2023-harl...
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 01/26/23 at 15:40:45

First good, dependable bike I had was Kawasaki 750 LTD? vertical twin. It was comfortable and light enough for me to take out on the dirt roads of West Texas. If you've ever been stuck waiting for cattle to get out of the road in a car, you know how long it can take. If you're on a bike, it's kinda unnerving, alone, nobody knows where you are and cell phones don't exist yet.

If I could find another one, I'd like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 01/27/23 at 09:42:02

And Harley is about to jump on the parallel twin band wagon with a 350 with a couple of models. Not sure if the pic were pic or artist rendering. Trying to keep it afloat. Foreign made IDK , more than likely.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 01:46:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › New bike? or Not !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.