New bike? or Not ! (Read 221 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
New bike? or Not !
01/21/23 at 11:35:43

I've seen almost every U-tube vid regarding the RE Meteor 350, but I haven't yet loosened my wallet.
As attractive as this bike may be, on a comparative basis, a used, low-mileage S40 is lighter, faster, cheaper and belt drive! The two advantages the Meteor has are Tubeless Tires and cheaper insurance!
I am tempted, but cannot overcome the 'logic' of the S40. Am I wrong?
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New bike? or Not !
Reply #1 - 01/21/23 at 11:56:17

I've suffered from the same temptation. I'm just not comfortable believing it would have the performance I want, and I know what to expect from the Suzuki, and where to go for expert advice for anything. If I had never had a Savage, then the RE would be out in front.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/21/23 at 15:41:22

I don't know what kind of roads you ride in Surrey, BC....and how suitable the RE350 would be for you and your roads.

Last fall MMRanch and I rode around in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina.......a place we have been going 2-3 times every summer for the last 10 years (more for MM).  I rode my Savage Cafe' and MM rode his Meteor 350.  We traded bikes for a little while - there is a considerable difference in the bikes (especially since my Savage is no longer set up as a cruiser).

The Meteor is incredibly comfortable and quiet to ride.  The handlebar position is very relaxing and feels higher than any stock bike I have ever ridden.  It feels like I am reaching nearly straight out from my shoulders to reach the bars - the very low seat is likely part of this (it could be that I am tainted by the fact that all my other bikes have the handlebars set pretty low).  The footpegs are forward - but not as far as the Savage.  The little engine has a noticeable lack of power - when you twist the throttle you don't really feel any kind of surge forward.....it is more of a calm suggestion.  MM did a great job of keeping up with my Savage on the mountain roads - we did not attack the roads in any aggressive manner on that trip.  Only after I rode the bike did I realize what a HP handicap MM was working with.  When we rode up the Cherohala Skyway there is a very long climb up the mountain and MM was ahead of me - we were behind a long/slow line of about 10 Harleys having a slow parade up the mountain.  The big line pulled over at a scenic area and only two Harleys stayed on the road ahead of us.  The lead rider was a bit quicker than the second rider - they would ride at a good pace on the straights and the back rider would slow down for the corners - and we would catch up to the back rider at most corners.  The rider behind waved us around - but MM signaled that we were going to stay behind as he knew we would not get past the front rider with his lack of passing power.....he really was working to keep 60mph and he didn't have enough power to attempt a pass of the front rider (we didn't want to get between them and ruin their fun).

So - for the US roads I am convinced that you need  minimum of 30 HP to be able to ride comfortably and keep pace with traffic.  You can get this HP from the 650cc Savage - or a good 250/300 twin like the Ninja.  A 250 or 350 or even a 400cc single just doesn't have enough power to keep up with traffic on major roads.....I feel the Yamaha SR400 would be just as handicapped as the Meteor 350.

If you only ride country roads or city streets where speeds are 60mph or less (100kmh) - the little Meteor does just fine.  It is a very nice looking and comfortable bike - it does have a noticeable lack of power compared to a Savage.    I am glad that MM let me ride his - it is a nice bike if your riding style can get  by with a small dose of HP.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 01/21/23 at 22:57:53

My bike hasn't been a cruiser for a long time, except for the pegs. Seat height now is about 31-32".  My favorite road is "hill n' dale' curvy for about 30 miles or more. But to get there, it's 30 minutes on the superslab.
 From what I can see from here, I'm going for a newer (2014-2019) S40 and repeat what I've done on my '08. RE is still tempting!
Cheers!  Cool
ps: https://www.straight.com/files/v3/styles/gs_feature/public/2014/09/MusicThera...

https://images.dailyhive.com/20181106094611/shutterstock_128574104.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9-SMSAPJhjg/TDvf8IHWf8I/AAAAAAAADNE/btnfU38ckcc/s1600
/sea+to+sky_edited-1.jpg

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 01/23/23 at 12:06:44

Hay zipidachimp

Where I live it's 40 miles to the interstate and our "Hills" are not over 300 yards long.   The Meteor's fly-wheel carries enough energy to run up those short hills holding 60+ mph , our speed limit is 55 so "All is Well"  Wink

Going west from NC. the skyway goes uphill for miles before ya get to level out and "Run-the-Hills" ...
So
The Meteor max power is at 4100 rpm and running along in 5th gear at 4100 is about 60mph.   Going up the west end of the Skyway I had to hold it open to maintain 60mph , but life isn't always UPHILL .   Wink
I replaced the 15 tooth F-sprocket with a 16 tooth , but even before replacing it the - Meteor would run the interstate at 70mph at about the same rpm as the Savage/S40 does.   It's only got 2/3 the power of the Savage.

Saying all that , I should also say that riding any roads the Meteor always get over 70mpg and sometimes in the summer a nice easy Sunday afternoon on backroads - can return near 100 mpg and it feels good to ride it.

I'm thinking the Super Meteor comes to North America this summer.   The  RE-650 twin gets about 70mpg.   I like the looks of the Touring Super Meteor (Red / White) and my Guzzi V7-II on it's best day only gets 55mpg  and 47-48 mpg if I ride like "I don't care" --- it handles great BUT !!!.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 01/23/23 at 19:02:26

That BSA Goldstar would be a great choice if it ever makes it to the USA , save your $$ Zipi , I think this might be the year we see it. RE does have some cool bikes , even the Super Meteor 650. A exciting lineup for sure with competitive prices. I’m waiting to buy. I at least want the BSA as an option before buying anything.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 01/23/23 at 20:41:38

As a previous owner of a '68 BSA Thunderbolt, I really had high expectations, only to be disappointed again.
I really believe I'm the embodiment of Joe Btfsplk, the guy who walks around with a cloud over his head. I really had high expectations for the Rebel 500, it turned out to be the ugliest bike ever!
The new BSA is overweight blablabla etc.!
My next expectation and a possible buy is the yet unannounced Kawi Z400rs. My hope is it will be a twin, but rumour says it's 4cyl.
here:
https://young-machine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/013.jpg

https://www.motoo.com.br/fotos/2022/1/960_720/kawasaki-z400-rs-ym_02012022_48...

https://www.echo.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/joe-btfsplk-768x1361.jpg

Cheers!  Cool
ps: imagine if Honda brought out a bike like the z400rs, but with the Rebel500/CB500f engine? The withdrawal from my chequing account would be smokin' !!!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 01/23/23 at 20:44:35

The RE Hunter may not have the speed limiter that the Meteor does ?   I'm not sure ?   But the Hunter is a "Standard" version of the Meteor w/tubeless wheels and a lower price and weight.

Yes , the Meteor has a speed limiter that cuts it off at 120kmph.  Something about gradulated license in different parts of the world.    With the extra front tooth its got gearing for about 90mph , but power for 80mph on flat ground.
I understand the SCRAM and HIMALAYAN (411cc) have big bore kits , super cam kit , and near 25Hp to begin with ... so yes the 30HP would be within reach.   But they both have spoke wheels .  Tongue    Same thing is wrong with the Yamaha SR400 !  Sad

There are two different Super Meteors , the Touring Model catches my eye.

Gosh !  I sound like a RE sales person ... I've got no excuse except that its WINTER outside and I can't go out to play !   Undecided

« Last Edit: 01/24/23 at 08:02:21 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 01/23/23 at 21:05:17

This guy has a reputation for reflashing ECUs and defeating speed  limiters (CB1100) etc.
https://guhlmotors.com/
Whether he'd work on RE is yet to be known.
Hunter 350 is attractive!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 01/23/23 at 22:55:30

Don't have you guys knowlege, but there was a Hyosung 650 that was limited by a throttle stop held in place by two bolts. Removing these bolts and the plate they held raised hp from 57 to 80 plus.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #10 - 01/24/23 at 00:38:08

That Hyo 650 was on sale up here, but no one knew anything about Hyosung, like early Hyundai Pony crap. No one wanted to take a chance.
Cheers!  Cool
ps: MM: give you BC winter for TN winter!
pps: Suz GR650 https://i1.wp.com/www.bike-urious.com/wp-content/uploads/Suzuki-Tempter-Left-...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 01/24/23 at 04:18:53

MMRanch wrote on 01/23/23 at 12:06:44:
Hay zipidachimp

I'm thinking the Super Meteor comes to North America this summer.   The  RE-650 twin gets about 70mpg.   I like the looks of the Touring Super Meteor (Red / White) and my Guzzi V7-II on it's best day only gets 55mpg  and 47-48 mpg if I ride like "I don't care" --- it handles great BUT !!!.  

MMRanch wrote on 01/19/23 at 19:13:55:
I find myself interested in more MPG  now and power don't seem to matter so much (like it used too) !

I understand it's motor has been getting 70's ish mpg (650cc twin) ?

So far everything I have read about the Super Meteor says that it is the same engine as the Continental GT and the Intercepter models:

Soul of a Royal Enfield Super Meteor

The Super Meteor 650 is the third model built on Royal Enfield’s 650 Twin platform. The first two were the Continental GT and INT650, both of which debuted for 2019. All three share an air/oil-cooled 648cc parallel-Twin with large cooling fins, SOHC with four valves per cylinder, and a single-piece forged, counterbalanced crankshaft with a 270-degree firing interval. The engine has a 9.5:1 compression ratio and runs on regular fuel, with injection and engine management supplied by Bosch. For the Super Meteor, the Twin gets new engine covers and darker finishes.

The Super Meteor is a premium cruiser model of the Continental GT.....it is more properly a replacement for your Moto Guzzi than your little Meteor 350.  The Super Meteor weighs 536 pounds........100 pounds more than your Moto Guzzi!

Here is a link  to the "Fuely" mileage for the Interceptor 650 - this is the same engine they are putting in the Super Meteor.  Most folks get mileage in the high 50's to low 60's with that engine.  (One fellow shows 79mpg average - but there must be a math error when they totaled his average - when you look at each tank the mileage average is down in the 60's.).
https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/royal_enfield/interceptor/2019

It is a great looking and nice motorcycle and I fully support you buying one - just don't get your hear set on every tank bringing you 70mpg at highway speeds.   It is my guess that you might get close to 70mpg while you are breaking the engine in and riding gentle - but normal riding will put you right in the 60mpg average that most folks are getting.

The only way to get that kind of mpg on a big bike is to slow down.......I once got 67mpg on my Savage Cafe' on the day I went riding with a group of guys on V-Twins.   (They never passed anyone and slowed down for every corner.......I likely averaged 30mph on the ride).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 01/24/23 at 04:55:46

zipidachimp wrote on 01/23/23 at 20:41:38:
My next expectation and a possible buy is the yet unannounced Kawi Z400rs. My hope is it will be a twin, but rumour says it's 4cyl.
here:
https://young-machine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/013.jpg

https://www.motoo.com.br/fotos/2022/1/960_720/kawasaki-z400-rs-ym_02012022_48...

https://www.echo.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/joe-btfsplk-768x1361.jpg

Cheers!  Cool
ps: imagine if Honda brought out a bike like the z400rs, but with the Rebel500/CB500f engine? The withdrawal from my chequing account would be smokin' !!!

Zippy....I am with you - The Honda Rebel500 is a huge waste of that wonderful engine.  If Honda where to put the 500 twin in an updated version of that resembled their original Honda CB450 - I think they would have a winner with us old guys (kids seem to like the transformer looking naked bikes).  The Honda CB500F is likely a really nice bike to ride - I just don't like the looks.

One listing seems to show the Kawasaki may be a twin - but more are reporting it to be a 4 cylinder.  

https://www.rushlane.com/kawasaki-z400rs-likely-to-debut-at-eicma-india-launc...

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 01/24/23 at 08:30:45

Hay Zip
The two pictures : https://images.dailyhive.com/20181106094611/shutterstock_128574104.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9-SMSAPJhjg/TDvf8IHWf8I/AAAAAAAADNE/btnfU38ckcc/s1600

Are for sure 4th gear 100kmh hills with the RE-350 engine .  Wink
Yes Dave  Smiley

That 400cc Kawasaki looks close to an old Honda CB450 that I remember .  Smiley
If I could curl-up to a liquid cooled bike it would be something like the Kawasaki 400.    The Kawasaki 300 Versey looks good too , BUT THOSE DERN TUBE-TYPE WHEELS !  Sad     IMHO.
https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/versys/adventure-touring/versys-x-3...

Ridding with the V-Twins  Roll Eyes

I had a simular experence with the CMA group ... The Guzzi got 63 mpg for that trip .   It was really hard not to "just leave them - for DEAD"  Grin

I had missed the weight of the Super Meteor , that's a boarder-line deal killer.     I can just keep the Guzzi if the RE feels heavy.    
The Guzzi already has a lot of "Extra" stuff ,
I took a ride to brothers house near BELL MOUNTAIN this week and the interstate traffic was running 85 mph --- so I did too.   That ride returned 48 mpg.    In all fairness , I should add that I'm pushing a Memphis shield windshield and dragging a pair of HB30L bags and a 30L trunk also.
« Last Edit: 01/24/23 at 09:34:19 by MMRanch »  

Guzzi2mpJan23.jpg

ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 01/24/23 at 17:53:23

What's that old saying??   "If you have to ask... "

Yeah, that one.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 03:24:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › New bike? or Not !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.