IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Group Rides
Reply #2 - 01/11/23 at 21:02:46

As long as you realize group rides are some of the most dangerous rides you can do on a motorcycle.   Google it and be safe out there!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/12/23 at 02:48:01

I am very comfortable riding with experienced riders....(fellas with gray hair and wrinkles and many years of riding behind them).  Once you get more than 3 people it starts to become harder to stay together when you get into town or traffic.  Group rides work best in rural areas with little traffic and few intersections.

I went on a "Poker Run" event at a motorcycle show in my home town.  The event starts at a bar and you get a poker card........folks are drinking before we left.  Then you ride to another bar and get another poker card and some more beers.  You repeat this until you have a full poker hand and a serious buzz!  There were about 60 riders of various skill levels and we slowed to a crawl around every corner......it was the most dangerous and frustrating ride I have ever been on.  I will never to on another ride that includes bars and drinking as an integral part of the event.

« Last Edit: 01/26/23 at 14:31:22 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/12/23 at 05:44:16

get the details on the group ride before showing up. The sport bikes like to take really technical routes at an uncomfortable rate of speed. Some of the cruiser rides buster down the freeway at 90 mph. Best to find out ahead of time.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/12/23 at 06:42:33

Agree with all the previous comments and add - it depends on the type of group ride.  Shorter rides that don't require 70+mph for extended periods would be ok.  We have a relatively small gas tank (more frequent stops), and I personally get exhausted maintaining 65mph for more than 30-40 minutes (I'm one of those wrinkly gray hairs though).  Regardless of age/fitness, you're not going to want to try to keep up with a group of sports bike riders wanting to pace extended distances at 75+mph.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/12/23 at 16:30:56

Absolutely. I have no problem going with Harley guys and sport bike guys, easily keep up with my friends with MT-10s and R1s. The S40 is so light and agile, it handles tight twisties better than heavier sport bikes.

Of course you wont be able to keep up with sport bikes on fast highway runs, but its made to carve mountain roads all day long.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/13/23 at 06:38:05

As people have indicated here already - it depends on the group, and the location.

Group rides is way to broad of a topic with too many variables to say for sure, and this doesn't even take into account skill level of the riders, including You.

Maybe if we knew more about what you consider unsuitable for group riding.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/13/23 at 14:19:50

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 01/13/23 at 17:18:05

Hey, I'm not trying to be the judge of what's safe or not.

I'm simply saying to educate yourself before jumping in.  There is plenty of information about the dangers of, and best practices for group rides.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/13/23 at 18:13:14

I was lucky. The only group ride I've been in, I was at the Very back. For me, trying to ride close to people was just not what I've been doing. I ride looking for separation from traffic. If you've never done it, you might be happier at the back.
Sharing a lane is uncomfortable. Trying to maintain That position, if you're staggering or sharing,, Naaah, not what I practice when I'm out hitting country roads.
I'm glad I went, it was very different, stopped in cool places, had some live music at the BBQ joint out in the boonies for lunch, great day.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 01/14/23 at 08:31:17

The temptation to weave thru everyone is too much for me. If their moving at a good clip I might be able to hang back. And then you got good riders and some really really bad riders that don’t belong on the road let alone being on a motorcycle. Did it once , experience was cool but it’s not for me. However I would like to do that Gentleman’s ride in a suit on my tracker !
Maybe a Tux
That will be the LAST time I wear a suit ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TrevorKlein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/26/23 at 01:13:59

Yup obviously, S40 is the best choice for both solo and group traveling, also can perform well in normal commuting and for highways as well.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #13 - 02/19/23 at 07:34:55

I was in a club many years ago in TX that did monster group rides with many different types of motorcycles attending.  Sometimes they even had a police officer member who would bring his bike and block off intersections to let the column pass (like a funeral procession).  It was like being in a parade.  That being said, it was kind of like herding cats.  The leaders tended to ride too slowly except on the freeway, and people tended to get irritated with that and drop out.  I remember a couple people being yahoos pushing you from behind to speed you up or chasing down cars on the interstate to cuss them out.  I prefer just riding with 1-2 people I know well.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 02/19/23 at 11:38:49

I’ll admit it’s fun for maybe half hour , it doesn’t take long to know it’s way more dangerous than it is fun. No more than 5 riders that have decades of riding skills not just years. Then I can relaxe and ride. I study other riders habits so I can mingle in the pack if I choose , fall behind see how everyone rides who is aggressive. I prefer to pick my way thru the pack like a gentleman , slide by with what looks like no effort , maybe a nod or a wave just out for a Sunday ride kinda thing. It’s fun to get out in front and run , but I can do that riding alone. Pick your way to the front for a few turns then let them slide by , study my victims some more , then back to the front. This keeps all involved in the ride and everyone gets to pass and be passed making all involved more at home in a pack and a better riders . Also keeps me sharp and hones the passing skills , exactly when to strike , pass inside , pass outside , speed , brakes naw. Don’t forget the nod or wave , manners is everything be polite. Practice this you & your friends will become better , safer , polite riders. I can pass everyone but that only 3 or 4 passes , I would rather practice passing doing 10-20-30 passes in a ride.
Way more fun when you learn good safe passing skills

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 20:01:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Group Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.