Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zinc-rich oil requirement?? (Read 109 times)
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Zinc-rich oil requirement??
12/25/22 at 07:59:05

Here's an interesting subject from Youtuber Uncle Tony's Garage. Although he still recommends a high-zinc oil for flat-tappet engines, he thinks it may not be a requirement beyond original engine break-in. I imagine this video will bring on a discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHCbrmQsySk

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Zinc-rich oil requirement??
Reply #1 - 12/25/22 at 17:12:23

Saw that A week or so ago. Interesting, but I'm not able to feel comfortable that the bike will be okay with oil that doesn't provide all the Right vitamins

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/27/22 at 04:26:11

I believe the Savage is a bit unique and needs more ZDDP protection than most engines......especially the 2004 and earlier engines with the one piece rockers.  Each rocker is lifting 2 valves - there is a lot of pressure on the rocker pad.

Youzguys has proven that the early rockers will last a long time if you use good oil - he is working on 250,000 miles on his bike.   Many others have proven that the rockers fail quickly with the wrong oil.....I have replaced rockers and cam in an engine with only 3,800 miles.

The 2005 and later bikes have a rocker with a hardened pad brazed onto the wearing surface.  I have neve seen one of these rockers fail in person or on this forum.  These rockers may be able to use an oil with a lower ZDDP level.

Personally - I believe the motor oil with 1,000 - 1,200 ppm of ZDDP is required in the Savage engine.  The lower ZDDP levels are a mandate for modern fuel injected engines with Catalytic Converters and oxygen sensors - the government believes you need to use half as much ZDDP to prevent fouling those pieces.  We should be using an oil formulation that was around in 1986 when the Savage started production - not one formulated for modern engines with roller rockers.

I use Rotella T in everything I own (except my wife's car that requires 5W-20 oil).  My Pontiac Vibe has 200,000 miles on it and still has the original oxygen sensors and Catalytic converter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/28/22 at 19:06:05

How about leaded fuel, I heard it has great lubricating properties.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/29/22 at 04:47:52

och wrote on 12/28/22 at 19:06:05:

Leaded fuel did provide a soft coating on the valves and seats and it provided a cushion for the closing valve.  Many early engines had problems with valve seats getting damaged when leaded fuel disappeared as the seats needed the lead.

Modern engines really don't benefit from lead as the valves and seats are made to last without lead.  You can't use lead in any engine with a catalytic converter or oxygen sensor as the lead will damage them.  Lead is also very corrosive to exhaust pipes and mufflers......exhaust systems last much longer now that lead is gone.

The amount of ZDDP in the oil has gone from the 1,200 ppm down to 600 ppm as a result of the EPA requirements - they are concerned about the longevity of the Oxygen sensors and catalytic converter.  As I stated in the previous post I have used Rotella T in my Pontiac for years, and the car currently has 200,000 miles on it and runs great with the original oxygen sensers and converter,   The engine does not burn any oil - perhaps as engines get worn and start consuming oil the chances of fouling the sensors and converters is more of a problem.

I am using Rotella T in my motorcycles with fuel injection/oxygen sensors/catalytic convertor - I don't anticipate any problems.  The forums for those motorcycles have members with high mileage on those bikes and they use Rotella exclusively - it is affordable, available and excellent at preventing wear.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 12/29/22 at 08:55:22

Yeah , what Dave said !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 12/29/22 at 09:38:16

amount of ZDDP in the oil has gone from the 1,200 ppm down to 600 ppm as a result of the EPA requirements - they are concerned about the longevity of the Oxygen sensors and catalytic converter

While they continue to put corn juice in the gas with zero concern for the damage it causes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/29/22 at 16:02:19

Dave wrote on 12/29/22 at 04:47:52:
och wrote on 12/28/22 at 19:06:05:

Leaded fuel did provide a soft coating on the valves and seats and it provided a cushion for the closing valve.  Many early engines had problems with valve seats getting damaged when leaded fuel disappeared as the seats needed the lead.

Modern engines really don't benefit from lead as the valves and seats are made to last without lead.  You can't use lead in any engine with a catalytic converter or oxygen sensor as the lead will damage them.  Lead is also very corrosive to exhaust pipes and mufflers......exhaust systems last much longer now that lead is gone.

The amount of ZDDP in the oil has gone from the 1,200 ppm down to 600 ppm as a result of the EPA requirements - they are concerned about the longevity of the Oxygen sensors and catalytic converter.  As I stated in the previous post I have used Rotella T in my Pontiac for years, and the car currently has 200,000 miles on it and runs great with the original oxygen sensers and converter,   The engine does not burn any oil - perhaps as engines get worn and start consuming oil the chances of fouling the sensors and converters is more of a problem.

I am using Rotella T in my motorcycles with fuel injection/oxygen sensors/catalytic convertor - I don't anticipate any problems.  The forums for those motorcycles have members with high mileage on those bikes and they use Rotella exclusively - it is affordable, available and excellent at preventing wear.

Dave, thanks for the elaborative reply. One last question, what about diesel, I've heard older diesel engines do not do well with modern low sulfur diesel fuel?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 12/29/22 at 16:29:26

I am not very knowledgeable about diesels.

We owned a 1999 VW Jetta diesel and a Ford 3000 Diesel tractor that wouldn't start at temperatures below 40.  Now I have a New Holland TC33D compact tractor that has glow plugs and starts easily.  That is the limit to my experience in diesel ownership.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/30/22 at 17:50:34

I think for modern engines low zinc oil is the last concern. They are so choked with emissions and engineering compromises to marginally increase efficiency, they can never last as long as some of the well built engines from the 90ies and early 2000s.

For older engines, I would stick with high zinc oil if its possible to find, if thats what they were designed for.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 12/30/22 at 23:46:20

The extremely high mileage bikes on this forum are lubricated with Rotella, if I'm remembering right. Would they have made those miles on some other oil? Whoknowzz?

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #11 - 12/31/22 at 06:02:42

Yes, who knows if a low-zink oil would work, but who wants to risk their engine to find out when there is an oil (Rotella) that meets the requirements and certifications for engines of this vintage?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Zinc-rich oil requirement??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.