Send Topic Print
Just how hip are you ? (Read 406 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Just how hip are you ?
12/10/22 at 10:16:08

It seems I may be developing a bad hip and I am freakin out about a hip replacement surgery. Even worse the thought of never riding again , yup now I’m totally freakin out. I hoping other members here have had the surgery done and still ride.  Surgery doesn’t bother me , it’s the outcome. Healing time and physical restrictions are eating at my brain.  Need some real life advice. Thanks for any thoughts.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Just how hip are you ?
Reply #1 - 12/10/22 at 11:10:09

A lot of riders get a large displacement scooter after such surgeries. The 300cc Vespa has a completely flat floor - its as easy as getting in your car.
-More affordable maxi scooters like the Kymco have a floor that is not completely flat, but it is far easier to mount than a conventional motorcycle. Top of the hill is probably the Suzuki Burgman 650. The 650 is no longer in production but there are good used ones around. The industry has you covered.
https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/top-5-maxi-scooters.html

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/10/22 at 12:37:03

Maybe it would be good to get it looked at. Find out what is going on. There are supplements that can help. If you drink Cokes,figure out what is in them. It's been so long since I got educated by my doctor I don't remember what the ingredient was, it was an acid,I'm pretty sure, but it kicks calcium out and fluoride looks enough like calcium that the bones will glom onto it.
It's phosphoric acid.

consumption of Coca-Cola affect bone density?
In addition to displacing healthier beverages, colas contain caffeine and phosphoric acid (H3PO4), which may adversely affect bone. Objective: We hypothesized that consumption of cola is associated with lower BMD.

My doctor, since retired, talked to all of us. The audience was not going anywhere for a while. We were all taking IV treatments that took more than an hour.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/coca-cola-bad-for-bones

If it's got phosphoric acid in it, it's Not good for the bones. The link addresses hip joints specifically. That
He fell and broke his hip
line is not something I'm believing. I'm figuring the ball on the femur snaps off and gravity takes over.
Yeah, I'm aware that A weak joint can be broken in a fall.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 12/10/22 at 14:52:54

My wife had a hip joint replaced; there were restrictions on movement following surgery for some weeks but after that there were no restrictions.
The incision was from the backside of the hip.
Her sister has had both hips replaced but with her the incision was made from the front side and she had no restrictions on movement.
Cutting from the backside requires cutting into a muscle and that requires the restrictions until healed, while cutting from the front side apparently does not cut a muscle and so no restrictions.

Point is, as long as the healing goes well there should be no reason you would need to stop riding.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 12/11/22 at 02:42:01

I know a couple of people who have had their hips done.  One just a few months ago.  They were both on their feet that same day.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 12/11/22 at 04:07:50

Yep, as soon as the patient is awake from surgery and capable of standing they are gotten up and started walking…with help of course.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 12/11/22 at 12:09:18

In order, Bender Thanks for your kind thoughts , maybe a little insulted. Clearly I’m a true die hard and I may be moving away from kick starters to a happy button , but so far away from being a scooter person. I can sell them all but not my tracker , I’ll stop riding when they pull my cold dead fingers from the GRIPS ! Already thinking of ways to make it easier to get on it if it comes to that.
JOG, it’s been giving me painful clues for awhile now , but will be seeking a professional opinion tomorrow. I drink less then a twelve pack of soda in a year and no energy drinks. Both shoulders bone on bone , early , but surprisingly knees old but ok. Sometimes talking to you is a bit scary, thanks for not fueling the flames.of fear.
Lancer, Thanks for the upbeat info , courage is building and fear is going by the wayside at least till the Dr. starts talking. I know it’s a very common procedure, think I just hate going under the knife , makes my mind run wild.
Moto , Just what I needed more success stories the more the better !
As soon as I know anything I’ll keep ya informed.
Thanks again to Savage Support Group , it’s great to be here !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/11/22 at 19:21:10

Just trying to share stuff I've learned down through the years. I hope I didn't get your blood pressure up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 01/25/23 at 07:40:29

After 6 weeks of P/T and multiple x rays they are finally gonna give my hip a MRI today. At first they called it a hip sprain  now they think it’s a hip labrum tear. I walk ok but don’t trust it say on a ladder.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #9 - 01/25/23 at 08:46:35

My oldest brother had hip replacement surgery the first week of November.  He is finally back on his bicycle as of a week ago.  He is very happy with the outcome.  His main advice - do ALL of the PT no matter how uncomfortable it is.  Very important for the long term mobility to prevent any scar tissue from building up and limiting the motion.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 01/26/23 at 10:56:23

Find out here real soon. Either way I won’t be riding for awhile. Spring is a ways off. Cool moist air on an early spring morning , perfect for test and tune. Testing of gps speedo too. When it feels right a few speed runs. Can’t wait to get some numbers.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #11 - 01/26/23 at 15:00:22

Rutty,
I am having hip resursfacing done this Monday. They say recovery is a little longer than replacement. I am thiinking 2 months off the bike, and bicycle too. I have a pin in my leg from the 70's that would come out too hard to do a replacement. I'll keep you posted about my progress.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 01/27/23 at 09:51:15

Wish you luck & short healing time , keep me posted. I knew someone else would be going thru it. So far it’s a tear somewhere , most heal without surgery unless it’s severe. I’m sure others are watching too.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 02/01/23 at 07:11:52

Hip surgery went well Monday(I guess, I woke up afterwards). They kept me overnight to make sure my plumbing still works, it does YEA! No real pain, just sore on that side. I am getting around with a walker for now and have limited movement with that leg. 50% weight on that leg and can't cross my legs for now or bring my knee up more than 90 degrees. It will be 2 or three weeks before I can drive a standard shift. At least 2 months off the bike to be able to roll it around and keep it upright. I could ride in a month if I had a 3 wheeler.
Gives me plenty of time to catch up on my reloading and casting. And the squirrels in the back yard are going to catch hell from my pelletgun!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 02/01/23 at 08:53:56

Good news , plenty of time to ride , just get healed first , don’t rush the riding , vitamin C help you heal quicker , keep me posted on your recovery.
Thank You

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 04:45:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Just how hip are you ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.