Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
all wired up, turn key, blown fuse, short? (Read 61 times)
IrishMane01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

all wired up, turn key, blown fuse, short?
11/26/22 at 17:15:06

Recently I've gone down a rabbit hole of repairs and tool purchases trying to get my 2003 back up and running. I picked it up very recently, got about 200 miles on it till the problems opened up. Long story short, Cam Chain replacement lead to resurfacing of cam journals, friction plates, decompression lever replacement, partial top end rebuild, rusty gas tank trailing into the carb (no inline) carb rebuild. I will admit in frustration I loosed many connectors to make getting the engine out easier, not really looking to ahead in the place I should've been. Now im at the point of wiring everything back together, but ive hit a pretty big snag. I wanted to test the Electrical before mounting everything into place only to blow the relay fuse upon turning the key to on.

All lights for the rear fender lights are disconnected still, waiting on a new plate holder currently, so those are the only things not in the 'loop' so to say. Are they needed to get the circuit to flow in the bike, or am i missing something? The last thing I want to do is disconnect the whole harness and chase the problem, just the thought scares the hell out of me

To explain why im doing myself with no proper training, well Hurricane Ian hit my part of Florida, and there were alot of bikes hit by the storm surge, every mechanic Ive called is booked for MONTHS. Most of those bike are from the rich part of town, so more money with that business rather then getting a thumper going.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: all wired up, turn key, blown fuse, short?
Reply #1 - 11/26/22 at 17:36:24

Easiest way I can think of to find the problem would be disconnect the connectors and turn the key. If it doesn't pop the fuse, key off,plug in a connector, key on. If it doesn't pop the fuse,key off. Connect another one.
I'd be turning it off instead of leaving it on to protect the spark box.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/26/22 at 20:24:03

Ah seawater, that'll ruin the blinker fluid.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
IrishMane01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/26/22 at 21:01:04

Im grabbing a tester in the morning to give it a chase, ill have to pick up another fuse anyway. your way does sound logical though, ill give it a go if i get lost using the tester.

Between all of the bikes, UTVs, ATVs, lawn equipment, basically anything with a small motor, the mechanics have alot on their hands. Didnt get any damage myself but work in repairs, some places got totally wrecked.

Back to the bike, though, would not having my rear lights and indicators cause a short like that? nothings touching where the wire ends are  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 11/26/22 at 21:06:04

Another fuse?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/26/22 at 22:55:19

You can also use a 12v light bulb.
the load will keep the amperage down even with a short.
and you'll see a bright light when you've found the short.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 11/27/22 at 01:12:19

I considered trying to explain that ,,

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 11/27/22 at 09:23:40

That light bulb trick sounds really cool.  I think I'll have to construct such a gizmo.  Thanks Versy.   Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
IrishMane01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/03/22 at 08:41:02

I finally had the chance to get back into my garage this weekend, started taking off different components till I got some life. unplugging the ECU i was able to turn the key and get power though the bike with out a short... so now its just a lamp with wheels lol. not what i was hoping. Looking through other posts i couldnt find anything really conclusive on testing this part out, with replacing it and doing a full tear down being the options i found.

Mechanical stuff I can do, but Electrical scares the hell out of me, i have the basic tools to test, is that possible?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 12/03/22 at 09:49:16

Well, the Air Force taught me electronics. The wasn't great,, but I was good enough to fix copiers and cash registers for seven years, using that training.
Minimize the problem. Looking for a needle in a haystack? Remove some hay.

Unplug connectors, if your detector light comes on with the first connection made,unplug it, try a different one.

Look up
Half split troubleshooting method
It makes sense

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #10 - 12/08/22 at 02:03:53

Try different connectors, the cdi is also connecting other things.
On top ofbthe fender theres 2 connections that have identical plugs but serve 2 different items, check if those are mixed up.
I believe 1 of those connectors is the tail light

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 20:47:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › all wired up, turn key, blown fuse, short?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.