Apollo 10 1/2 (Read 64 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Apollo 10 1/2
11/15/22 at 05:31:25

Watched it this weekend.

It's pretty much a topic focused and animated version of The Wonder Years.  Worth watching.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7978758/?ref_=tttr_tr_tt

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Apollo 10 1/2
Reply #1 - 11/15/22 at 11:04:31

Relayed that to the Wifely Unit. We're between shows we enjoy watching together. We'll give that a go tonight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 11/15/22 at 14:25:40

Decided to go ahead and watch it. About half way through. The story aligns with my years, the Astronomers opened when I was a Cub scout. I guess every Scout was invited. Boys,girls, if it was a scout it was invited, I guess. Our troop were robots, courtesy of donated cardboard boxes. Everyone marched around the place. I'm sure it was a hoot. Don't much remember it. I'm thinking that kid was a coupla years older than I was. So far, it's worth the time. Maybe more so for me because I was in Houston. We did the tornado/bomb drills in the hall, with the biggest book we had, opened and covering our heads.

Did teachers haul a TV in so you could watch them blast off?
If you haven't seen the computer that got us to the moon, you really otta look it up. Very strange looking thing.
I'm having intermission,
My wife is enjoying it quite a bit, too. Nice thing about streaming, if you don't dig it, plenty of other stuff to try.
I can't wait to get back to being able to work. TV gets boring. Internet gets boring.
I Want To Work on stuff again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/15/22 at 15:57:45

I was a wee lad but watched everything they'd let me to.

I was a space nut and when school work showed it.  I knew words my teachers didn't know.  She had a habit of telling me to look up words I didn't know, and in 1 of my essays I wrote retro-rocket.  And she didn't think it was a word and you do know what I told her... don't you?   Grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 11/15/22 at 16:21:43

Thanks for the picture, V.
The movie is absolutely worth it. Maybe for some of the younger guys it won't feel the same. I was fourteen and visiting mom in Houston when they landed. Rethinking it, maybe I was a bit older than the main character. But it really was fun for me and the wife. Thanks E
Okay, who has something else to watch?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/15/22 at 16:24:00

verslagen1 wrote on 11/15/22 at 15:57:45:
I was a wee lad but watched everything they'd let me to.

I was a space nut and when school work showed it.  I knew words my teachers didn't know.  She had a habit of telling me to look up words I didn't know, and in 1 of my essays I wrote retro-rocket.  And she didn't think it was a word and you do know what I told her... don't you?   Grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

I've been trying, but I'm not seeing a good smartass reply. And I've been Trying,,

So, what did young V say to teacher who didn't believe that was a real thing?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/16/22 at 05:18:43

The movie is a generation ahead of me.  I was in elementary school and watched the Challenger explode on a TV with all of us gathered in the library.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/16/22 at 05:44:28

Ohhh, that was bad. How did they handle that?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/16/22 at 10:07:19

I don't know, I was in 1st grade I think.

I recall teachers crying, and us kids thinking it looked pretty cool even though we knew people died.  A week or so later we got in trouble for lighting paper airplanes on fire and saying they were the Challenger on the tetherball court.  No issue handling fire, it was the insensitivity from what I recall.

It's hard to remember exactly, I mean who cares what teachers say when you are 6.  Some other kid is going to get in trouble for something else in 10 minutes anyway.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 11/16/22 at 11:17:40

week or so later we got in trouble for lighting paper airplanes on fire and saying they were the Challenger on the tetherball court.  No issue handling fire, it was the insensitivity from what I recall.

What does a six year old know about Sensitivity?
Kinda proud of you for doing that.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/16/22 at 12:08:33

"What does a six year old know about Sensitivity?"

Well getting yelled at and having our lighter taken away is how we learn I guess.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/16/22 at 15:27:07

Mmmkay, what is a six year old kid doing with a lighter? Stopping behind a barn for a smoke?
Sure hope it wasn't a Zippo..
It's too bad you don't remember that whole story.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/17/22 at 05:20:23

I grew up on a farm, we all had lighters, pocket knives (I had a Swiss Army knife), chapstick and usually a few band-aids in an Altoids can or a cleaned out Skoal canister.  

Stuff kids would be placed in handcuffs and hauled to a Psychologist for having today.

To be fair the pocket knife was not allowed in school until 9th grade but it seems like a few of us had one from time to time anyway.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 11/17/22 at 11:47:06

A saner time,,
Teachers knew I carried a knife in junior high. It was not allowed, but they didn't hassle me. I didn't carve desks or people. I Did get pisstawf at the TP dispenser that ripped it off with one sheet,, finally sliced All the paper off, and everything I didn't use went out the second story window, halfway down the length of a wing with a parallel wing  not too far away. Odessa Texas has plenty of wind. The paper swirled and flew, the school had no air conditioning, so windows were open. The paper had danced and swirled alright.. Some was ready for me to pick up. In the class. Yeah, teach had a word with me in the hall. Told him the truth. He kinda laughed and said it bugs him too. And don't Do that again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 05:39:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Apollo 10 1/2

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.