Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bar End Weights (Read 68 times)
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bar End Weights
11/06/22 at 14:41:47

My mirrors got super blurry around 80 mph from vibration on my way to the Lonestar Rally yesterday.
Are bar end weights any help in that situation?
-I was thinking of getting some bar end weights like the ones at the link.
https://www.amazon.com/Cobella-Motorcycle-Universal-Vibration-Handlebar/dp/B0...

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Re: Bar End Weights
Reply #1 - 11/06/22 at 14:54:41

Ive tried a bunch of methods on many bikes and all just work marginally.  We used to fill our bars with silicone to get the vibration to die down.  Still didnt work that well.

Long bars make it worse.

For 10 bucks give them a shot.  I dont think it will solve it, but might help.  

Ive gotten in the habit of grabbing my mirror to stop the vibration when I want to see whats behind me on the freeway.  Not the best solutiona also.

WWW   IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/06/22 at 15:02:02

SpamyToo wrote on 11/06/22 at 14:54:41:
Ive gotten in the habit of grabbing my mirror to stop the vibration when I want to see whats behind me on the freeway.  Not the best solutiona also.

Thats funny. I like the way you think.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/06/22 at 15:10:46

Wt. helps.

Those in the link are for 7/8" bars, look for 1" bars.

You might be able to use those, but you'll over compress the rubbers and you'll need to add an extra washer on the end or the nut will compress into the rubber.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/06/22 at 15:40:14

This is what I did, I always hated the mirror setup on the Savage, and I ended up with bar end mirrors, but the way I installed them is a bit interesting. The stock handlebars have a welded in plate about 1" deep inside, so a traditional method of installed bar end mirrors doesn't work. I took a piece of 7/8" or 3/4" rod, cut it about 2" long and pushed it inside the the handlebars on both sides, and welded it in. Then I drilled and threaded it so I could bolt the bar end mirrors to it. Also had to drill a hole in the end of the grips to slip over the bars.

I don't have a good photo of the setup, I can take a few tomorrow when its light out. But the steel rod mirror supports double up and bar end weights, and I get a lot less vibrations in the mirrors.

IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/06/22 at 16:14:27

verslagen1 wrote on 11/06/22 at 15:10:46:
Those in the link are for 7/8" bars, look for 1" bars.

Thanks for catching that. I just measured by bars and they are definitely closer to 1" OD.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/06/22 at 18:30:05

Dang,Och, how tall are you, man?

Did you get that seat from Mike Lindell?

Nice looking setup .
The grips look comfortable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/07/22 at 14:19:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/06/22 at 18:30:05:
Dang,Och, how tall are you, man?

Did you get that seat from Mike Lindell?

Nice looking setup .
The grips look comfortable.

Haha, 6'4 - I had the seat done by Russell Cycle Products, they do phenomenal work. They did my Yamaha 950 seats as well. The grips are Kuryakyn ISO grips, they are nice and reduce vibrations. And with the welded in rod weights, I have almost no vibration in the rear view mirrors, they are nice and clear under pretty much all circumstances.

IP Logged
29Z1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/28/23 at 15:02:43

och wrote on 11/06/22 at 15:40:14:
I don't have a good photo of the setup, I can take a few tomorrow when its light out. But the steel rod mirror supports double up and bar end weights, and I get a lot less vibrations in the mirrors.

Long time lurker and first post, but if you still have the photos available I would very much appreciate it as I'm looking to do the same.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/28/23 at 16:11:31

Sure, I'll take some photos a bit later tonite.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/28/23 at 17:26:30

Here you go, made a video of my setup.

https://youtu.be/cqsu1_2grrs

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 07/29/23 at 11:57:12

First, since the savages/S40 have welded weights, I assume you have replaced the handle bars. Now that said, there is a reason you can buy replacement mirrors for anywhere from $29.00 a pair to $150.00 per mirror. I have tried several different mirrors on both my bikes, both have aftermarket handle bars, and found cheap ones rattled and shaked. They were replaced pretty quickly. The best I have found are the Joker mirror Viewtech 7, they are on my S40 with TC Brother window drag bars and are great. They do cost about $115 each and you need to buy a left and a right plus adaptors studs for our ride, so they work but are expensive. But to reiterate cheap mirrors are just that.

For the bar weight question,The Honda Fury has weights in the bar ends, supposedly to dampen vibration for the mirror on the left side, but once you put weight in one side you need to do other. I have not actually seen mine, but a check of the parts list shows them and they are insertable. The Fury, though it has 1.25" bar tube, they are 1" at the mounting and at the ends, so Honda weights may fit. I am replacing the bars on my Fury soon with FMB custom bars and debating the same question about adding the weights. The consciences on the Fury forum seems to be I won't need them.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/29/23 at 12:32:53

SoC wrote on 07/29/23 at 11:57:12:
First, since the savages/S40 have welded weights, I assume you have replaced the handle bars. Now that said, there is a reason you can buy replacement mirrors for anywhere from $29.00 a pair to $150.00 per mirror. I have tried several different mirrors on both my bikes, both have aftermarket handle bars, and found cheap ones rattled and shaked. They were replaced pretty quickly. The best I have found are the Joker mirror Viewtech 7, they are on my S40 with TC Brother window drag bars and are great. They do cost about $115 each and you need to buy a left and a right plus adaptors studs for our ride, so they work but are expensive. But to reiterate cheap mirrors are just that.

I too had gone through a bunch of cheap mirrors, and they just suck. For my S40 the mirrors I have are not very expensive, but not the cheapest either, they are surprisingly solid with no shakes or rattles, especially the way I mounted them. - https://www.ebay.com/itm/203194262074

But by far the best mirrors I have are KTM metal mirrors on my KTM SMC 690. They have no glass, they are made out polished metal, so they are super thin and light, and extremely solid. They also cost about $120 each.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:12:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bar End Weights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.