Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chain conversion gone wrong--eating through metal (Read 156 times)
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Re: Chain conversion gone wrong--eating through me
Reply #15 - 11/06/22 at 16:50:16

JOG, I ordered a 2mm sheet of the stuff chain guides are made of from Amazon. Only $8! I cut and melted it to shape, then JB welded it to the top of the swing arm and bottom of the footpeg bracket. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

SpammyToo, I appreciate the advice! Thank you! I wonder if I installed the clip backwards last time.

This is a great community we have!  Smiley

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 11/06/22 at 17:56:45

I hope you gave that plastic as much texture as possible. JB weld on that kinda plastic doesn't strike me as a winning combination. Maybe it's gonna work great, I haven't tried it.
If you get disappointed, you might check out a white cutting board. The thinner ones seem harder,IDK if that is true, not a scientific observation,
YaKnow, JB weld on a Very clean and surface prepped area And a shaped and sized piece of plastic, with some small holes that are opened up wider at the top, so the JB is like a mushroom shape, leave the plastic long enough to heat and curve it so the chain slides up the bend on first contact.
You getting a picture?
Think it might work?
You have already taken steps, play it out. If it doesn't fly,Meh, step back and take another swing.

If you have room to build a bracket to clamp down and use a thick enough piece so you can drill a 1/8" hole and a hole wide enough to set rivets and leave plastic proud of the rivets.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 11/07/22 at 05:08:41

If the chain slack was too tight it will cause too much tension on the chain as the swingarm moves up. I've noticed that chain slack is the limiting factor is swingarm movement on bikes with a chain conversion. The swingarm length and pivot point have been chosen to optimize a belt drive.

The chain slack is a fine balance; too tight and it loads up as the swingarm moves up, too loose and it's rubbing on the forward pivot point.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #18 - 11/07/22 at 05:30:23

JOG, good points. I roughed to the plastic and metal to give it some bite. Hopefully it'll hold!

Gary, that makes sense. I had 7/8 free play, but that seemed to tight, and I was worried it would stress the transmission shaft. I loosened it to 1.25", and it seemed much better.

If anyone has the chain conversion, what's your slack?

IMG_20221107_071220866.jpg

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #19 - 11/10/22 at 16:55:05

UPDATE: Got the 14/52 JT sprockets and JT x-chain on. Runs and rides like a champ. The UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) plastic is holding up well. Cutting out the foot peg bracket bottom was a good move. I don't hear any chain rubbing.

It accelerates like a rocket, but I'm at 4800RPM @55. I think I'm going to go to a 15/52 set up. I cruise at 55 to work, and it's vibrating quite a bit and is loud at that speed. At any RPM though, it sounds like a 1916 motorcycle, all clicking, clanking, and clacking loudly. I think it's just the high comp piston and hot cam. Sounds like being inside an 1800s sewing factory. As long as it doesn't break, I'm cool with it though.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #20 - 11/10/22 at 17:37:57

The stock speedo runs off the output shaft of the tranny. When you change the final drive ratio, or rear tire size it throws it off. (worse than it was stock)
I went from the stock 2.98 to a 2.60 with a 150/90 15 rear tire and 100 miles on the stock speedo was 123 on a gps! But I'm only turning 3400 at 60 mph.
Check yours aginst a gps app on your phone.
Speedhut makes some great gps speedos, not cheap, but I love mine. (cept when I go thru a tunnel )
15-52 is 3.46, still lower than stock 2.98. Faster takeoffs, but a lot of revs at highway speeds. Stock with 2.98 turns about 4100 at 60 mph.

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #21 - 11/10/22 at 18:48:18

Thanks! My speedo is an electronic one I calibrated using a GPS. I also want to go to a 15/52 because, as I understand it, it will help the chain last longer (same tooth-chain position F&R sprocket every 780 chain revolutions vs every 52 for the 14t). Plus the extra gas mileage and clearance for the swingarm. I'm at 3.71 (my rear is 130/70R18 though, a little taller than stock). Hopefully 3.47 will be a sweet spot!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #22 - 11/10/22 at 19:29:25

Check your rpm at 55 with your final drive, rear tire combo. Fewer revs means less vibration and better mileage.
With 4th gear so close to 5th on these bikes it can be a great passing gear, leaving 5th to be used as a overdrive highway gear.
Mine is about 3200 at 55 and I can see with my mirrors. If I need quick power I just drop to 4th.
( 4th and 5th are both overdrive gears if you look at the ratios, hey the bike is a thumper after all.)

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #23 - 11/11/22 at 09:51:15

badwolf, that's another good point--my mirrors shake like a junkie at 55 right now. I just hope I don't end up going down to the same gear ratio as I had with the belt, in which case, I could've just saved a lot of time and money just leaving it stock! I really wish they'd make a smaller front pulley/larger rear pulley. Maybe I could get one CNC machine. Seems cost prohibitive though

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #24 - 11/13/22 at 17:17:55

Update: 15/52 seems perfect; no chain rubbing, smooth at 55, accelerates like a missile. I took a 38F ride today and was loving it! No more vibrating like a bed at a cheap motel.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:27:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain conversion gone wrong--eating through metal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.