Send Topic Print
Broken inner tube (Read 47 times)
Gizzmo82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Broken inner tube
10/30/22 at 13:18:19

Hi. Is there any quick fix for broken inner tube in the front part of the exhaust?
Mine isbroken loose, and there is a loud klanging when i rev it

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Broken inner tube
Reply #1 - 10/30/22 at 16:58:56

JOG is the only person I heard say they removed the inner pipe for similar reasons.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/30/22 at 18:43:00

Quick? Probably not. But if it's busted loose up at the end that goes to the head,it just Might weld up.
The muffler end shouldn't let go, but you won't know till you yank the header off and look.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #3 - 10/30/22 at 22:50:09

I mentioned this on your FB post - the amount of carbon deposits in your exhaust will contaminate the welds.  It will be extremely difficult to get the metal clean enough to get a weld that will last.  You would be better off getting a replacement header pipe.  It may not be the cheapest solution, but it will be the one that lasts the longest.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/30/22 at 23:27:34

To lower the noise, if the break is visible, you could just pack it out with aluminum foil while you look for a replacement

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/31/22 at 10:08:25

It's Not easy to remove. Gotta slice and dice the header. If you do that, you have to leave indexing marks to keep the orientation of the ends of the header aligned as it is built.
I don't recommend it. Wouldn't do it again. But mine was working fine. In Your position, yeah, if you can get it tigged back together cheap enough, cut the thing out, unless it's just busted loose at the end or ends, then anyone with a min can put it back together.
A body shop has a mig. Talking about a five minute job, a Coupla six packs otta get it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 12:57:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken inner tube

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.