IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Future of social media
Reply #76 - 12/06/22 at 19:56:47

Eegore wrote on 12/06/22 at 11:08:40:
Actually, a better analogy is to imagine the FBI telling the owner of the soapbox company to pull soapboxes out on people who were about to reveal the head of the FBI was a crook.

So how is the Company violating your 1st Amendment rights?  You don't have the right to use that soapbox to begin with.  

Why are you not getting this? The government is using Twitter to restrict speech for a political reason. It’s the government doing it, not Twitter, they’re just the stick that the FBI is swinging.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #77 - 12/07/22 at 05:19:12

Why are you not getting this? The government is using Twitter to restrict speech for a political reason. It’s the government doing it, not Twitter, they’re just the stick that the FBI is swinging.

I understand that.  So it's an FBI issue when it comes the the 1st Amendment protections.  Twitter as a private company can work with the Government if they want, and not be a State Actor by definition.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #78 - 12/07/22 at 07:57:26

All Good,then! E said it is okay. I'm happy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #79 - 12/07/22 at 10:09:00

Eegore wrote on 12/07/22 at 05:19:12:

I understand that.  So it's an FBI issue when it comes the the 1st Amendment protections.  Twitter as a private company can work with the Government if they want, and not be a State Actor by definition.

No, I don’t believe they can. This is not the government asking social media companies to put out a PSA. They were asking them to withhold information (during a specific time right before an election) which they knew to be true and they asked for it to be withheld to specifically benefit one of the candidates. And they lied about the reason why the information should be withheld. They fabricated a story they had intelligence that indicated foreign governments would release false stories about Joe Biden’s son Hunter.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #80 - 12/07/22 at 13:30:17

They were asking them to withhold information (during a specific time right before an election) which they knew to be true and they asked for it to be withheld to specifically benefit one of the candidates.

As far as I know this is not illegal for a private company to do, unless it is an actual journalism organization, and even at that there is still some freedoms to choose what you distribute as long as it is not intentionally false.  Social Media companies can withhold information on their property.  A newspaper can only publish information about Democrats.  A magazine can only publish information about Republicans.

"And they lied about the reason why the information should be withheld."

I assume you mean the FBI.  If Twitter was aware that the intent of the FBI was to sway the election then this is an issue.  But if the FBI were lying to Twitter, not so much a Twitter problem.

None of these things make Twitter a State Actor unless Twitter knowingly collaborated with the FBI with the intent of swaying an election.  Otherwise they are just a private company with huge influence displaying what they approve of on their property.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #81 - 12/07/22 at 16:01:00

So, you approve?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #82 - 12/07/22 at 16:08:57

So, you approve?

So you approve of every law that you can read and decipher as factual?

I don't really care what Twitter does since I don't use social media as a fact finding tool nor recommend anyone else do this.  Also they have competitors that literally do the exact same thing, just for an opposing political party.  If next election Trump wins and Truth starts collaborating with the FBI and doesn't let non-conservatives post on their property, I wouldn't care.

I don't care if a magazine won't publish Conservative articles, I don't care that The Gateway Pundit only publishes Conservative articles.

The issue here is the FBI.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #83 - 12/07/22 at 18:35:28

The issue here is the FBI.  

You finally got there!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #84 - 12/07/22 at 19:33:37

"The issue here is the FBI.  

You finally got there!
"

It appeared this is being portrayed as a unified fault.  A private company is not a public square:

This is what you’re not getting. The widespread and universal use of social media and it’s influence basically makes it a de facto public square.

That doesn't make them responsible for your 1st Amendment protections.  They are free to work with the FBI if they want.  Intentional strategizing with the FBI, with criminal intent, is an issue but so far the evidence provided doesn't support that.

« Last Edit: 12/08/22 at 05:10:04 by Eegore »  
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #85 - 12/08/22 at 05:52:28

Eegore wrote on 12/07/22 at 19:33:37:
"The issue here is the FBI.  

You finally got there!
"

It appeared this is being portrayed as a unified fault.  A private company is not a public square:

This is what you’re not getting. The widespread and universal use of social media and it’s influence basically makes it a de facto public square.

That doesn't make them responsible for your 1st Amendment protections.  They are free to work with the FBI if they want.  Intentional strategizing with the FBI, with criminal intent, is an issue but so far the evidence provided doesn't support that.

I’m officially designating a new disease: Switzerland Syndrome. It’s a disease of the central nervous system which causes the afflicted to immediately stake out the middle between two positions at all cost, regardless of the evidence piling up on one side. Common side effects are very slight modifications to the position which seemed to indicate, at first glance, a position shift. However, a closer examination by an experienced professional (me)  reveals that is just a manifestation of the disease which is thought to have evolved as a both a defense mechanism and as a method to lay out future pathways where the disease will once again manifest itself in an attempt to survive within the middle position weeks from now after being confronted with another does of antibiotics, aka Truth.

Unfortunately, the survivability of the Switzerland syndrome is extremely low and that statement is based entirely on forklore as no documented case of an afflicted one stepping away from the middle and onto one side or the other.

The only treatment is a combination of shaking one’s head at the illogical positions taken by the sick and a constant barrage of antibiotics, aka Truth.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #86 - 12/08/22 at 07:41:51

What evidence do you have that Twitter is intentionally collaborating with the FBI to sway an election?  That's the largest burden of proof to meet State Actor standards.

So far what I have seen is the FBI is lying to Twitter to get them to remove content.  On their property only.

We also have to consider how Section 230 applies to this.  Twitter has protections there as well.

This isn't a political issue in regards to Twitter, there are no sides.  It's about pre-incident knowledge and intent.  The political component is just muddying the waters with emotion.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #87 - 12/09/22 at 04:19:10

So far what I have seen is the FBI is lying to Twitter to get them to remove content.  

Why? Why would the FBI not just lied about but create an elaborate cover story for? What was their intention? Why that particular content over and over?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #88 - 12/09/22 at 05:54:26

Why? Why would the FBI not just lied about but create an elaborate cover story for? What was their intention? Why that particular content over and over?

We already addressed this and I was under the impression you believe it was to sway the election.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #89 - 12/10/22 at 03:48:58

And you don’t think that to achieve that goal, they convinced, coerced, threatened, a social media platform to restrict posts (speech) that based on historical precedent, the users believed to be free from government interference?

It’s one thing if Twitter by themselves restricted access. Conservatives are very well aware Twitter treats the political parties differently. The difference here is the government acted to restrict the public sharing of information via tweets and direct messages which is essentially email. That’s essentially speech. If we’re going to have lawsuits and laws that say campaign donations are a form of speech (which has been stated) how can we not do the same here and say that post on a social media platform everyone previously believed we’re free from government interference, we’re in fact NOT free from government interference. That rings of a first amendment violation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:17:53

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Future of social media

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.