Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I need some vigilantes - making a magic voodoo box (Read 147 times)
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
I need some vigilantes - making a magic voodoo box
10/29/22 at 08:24:56

I think it's beyond disgusting that Suzuki not only makes the magic spark box $800, but then goops up the unit with pebbles and garbage so that you can't look inside and see what makes it tick. I'm totally not kidding--I have a friend who is a genius electrical engineer, and if we can crowdsource some knowledge, I will produce these for sale. AT A REASONABLE COST! For a forum members, they will be AT cost.

If anyone has any idea of how to ungoop the box, or has diagrams, or has a clean board they can send me, let's make this happen. Let's end this magic box monopoly and cabal Suzuki has!

IMG_20221029_1116032412.jpg

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I need some vigilantes - making a magic voodoo
Reply #1 - 10/29/22 at 09:37:45

I don't think that's to prevent you from seeing what's inside.
Potting prevents the individual components from breaking off the board.
I think the pebbles are just filler to minimize the amount of potting compound to expedite curing.  There are chemicals to remove the potting compound.

Here's a previous thread...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1293638302/15

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/29/22 at 10:49:44

I searched

Getting epoxy out of potted circuits

Lots of options. Knowing what it is encased in would be a good start.

My thoughts on the problem, which I proposed some time back, and I'm NOT any kinda electronic whiz at all, so, grab your grain of salt.

What does it do? It gets a signal and amplifies it. If you have smart friends and they have equipment, I'd want to look at the trigger signal and see what kinda voltage it is.
Then build an amplifier and send it to a coil. I think you are on the right track and I really don't think it's that big of a problem, especially for someone who is actually an electronics guy.
YaKnow, a lawnmower uses a magnet in the flywheel and a pickup with a coil and they don't have a module encased in goop. IDK how different our engines are built. Is the magnet in the flywheel a lot smaller? I've never seen one. But it's gotta have a magnet in it, doesn't it?

If getting the potting out is something that just has to happen, maybe you could freeze the module and get a small, sharp chisel and break out some pieces and try to dissolve them in some of the different things that are talked about in the many suggestions that pop up when you search for that answer. The formulation of the epoxy Suzuki uses might go away easier with one approach than another.
The only word that comes to mind is aldehyde, it's either from college chemistry or something I read. IDK if it's even relevant, it just keeps rattling around in my head.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/29/22 at 11:22:59

How did engines ever run before transistors, chips, and computers?
Tongue

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #4 - 10/29/22 at 15:08:54

Yeah, this is taking forever to remove the goop. I've seen that thread before, but the components don't look like the 96+ CDIs (mine is 2011). I would love to make these so we don't have to pay $200 on eBay for old ratty ones or fork out $800 for a new one. Alternatively, I'd be interested in trying to install a simple magneto type system like JOG said.

IMG_20221029_1141042922.jpg

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/29/22 at 16:05:48

I doubt that this board was made special just for a suzuki savage.

If it were me, I'd peruse flea bay for a similar component. Check the manual to see if the advance curve was the same, check to see what coil was used, etc.

And if it were close enough and reasonable...

WWW   IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #6 - 10/29/22 at 17:11:39

I think you're right. The board has a Mitsubishi logo on it. The serial number is jj331B14502A. No hits on Google though. I'm soaking the board in acetone to remove goo.

IMG_20221029_2005480762.jpg

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #7 - 10/30/22 at 06:12:28

Yeah, my buddy backtracked his support for this project.... I'm gonna start by contacting Mitsubishi to see if the board itself is available. If not, I'm going to start contacting Chinese companies that break patent laws (i.e., all of them) to see if they're interesting in producing these.

IMG_20221030_090731283_HDR2.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/30/22 at 06:37:32

That is a Buncha stuff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/30/22 at 10:45:44

this is what they used to look like...

another_board_front.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #10 - 10/30/22 at 12:04:57

Looks like a multipurpose board.  Lots of areas with no components.  It could be reverse engineered from the looks of it.  China aint going to have anyone interested unless you can get 10000 of them ordered.

You can design your own board fairly cheaply.  There is a sweet spot for volume to cost on PCB's.  I have them made up often. Some I assembly myself but often Ill have them assemble the components as well.

Where you might run into trouble is if any of the circuits are programable.  Then your screwed.

WWW   IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #11 - 11/01/22 at 16:57:26

Probably the transistor or surface mount capacitor failed. It might be worthwhile to find the failed part.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/01/22 at 18:28:51

Why is that thing so complicated?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/01/22 at 22:10:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/01/22 at 18:28:51:
Why is that thing so complicated?

f'ing electrons.

WWW   IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #14 - 11/02/22 at 02:53:16

On the older one is alot easier to fix. Unless any of the custom chips are bad. It's just a matter of finding the failed part. A voltmeter and some patience will definitely save you money. Are they interchangeable?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:23:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I need some vigilantes - making a magic voodoo box

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.