justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: in line fuel filter
Reply #1 - 10/23/22 at 17:16:19

Unnecessary, because the petcock has a fine filter built in
And inlines tend to restrict fuel flow.
Some have done it without drama but it's redundant.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 10/24/22 at 19:46:45

On my bikes, I remove the screen from the petcock and install an inline fuel filter. I can see instantly if there is a problem, and because I carry a spare, I can swap it out in minutes. Try cleaning your petcock screen on the side of the road.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 10/24/22 at 21:28:26

That Is a great point.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #4 - 10/25/22 at 06:01:59

I had one in my Rebel 250 because the tank was rusty. It looked kinda dumb, but I carried spares and did change it out on the side of the road once or twice, so it was worth it  However, the Rebel 250 carbs are notoriously sensitive and prone to clogging. I don't know about our carbs (or my PWK38). I personally wouldn't go the filter route unless the tank is cruddy. If you do though, maybe the small "button" style or porous bronze ones.

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/25/22 at 07:40:07

I watch James Condon YouTube videos. He's a generator repair guy. He SAID and I don't know but I'm trusting him on it, that some of the online filters just won't work for a gravity feed system. And, since I didn't think I was ever going to care, I just wasn't paying attention that great.
If I wanted to figure it out, I'd look at a filter on an engine that has a fuel pump.
And I wouldn't get that filter.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 10/25/22 at 09:00:31

So, 45 years ago on a 200 mile trip in Florida I started losing one cylinder, then the other. On the side of the road i ended up disassembling more stuff than I’d like to, cleaned out a bunch of sand, and rode for a bit. A while later, I had to repeat the process.
The next day I went to my bud’s bike shop and told him my tale of woe. He sold me a pair of fuel filters. I installed them, and have never been stranded since. I’ve had to change filters on the side of the road, but I was never stranded. Used inline fuel filters on the dozens of bikes I’ve owned for gazillions of miles.
Always laugh when the armchair engineers tell me that the filters restrict flow, aren’t needed, will cause cavities, and so on.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/25/22 at 11:06:24

Are you saying what the generator guy said about the different designs is wrong?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/26/22 at 03:38:47

We have had several members who had problems with inline fuel filters.

The petcock and carb spigots are made of very thin brass - inline fuel filters are plastic and the nipples are very thick and the hole where the fuel is supposed to flow can be very small.....they can produce a very significant restriction to fuel flow if you buy a small filter made for lawn mowers or other small engines.  The restriction has been enough that air can get trapped in the nipple and not allow any fuel to flow past the bubble.  For some of the users the fuel flowed past the filter when it was new and fist installed - then while they were out riding the bubble got stuck and the bike stopped.....the filter was not immediately suspect and it took them a while to discover the filter was the source of the problem.

Here is a thread in the Technical Section about inline fuel filters.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:19:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › in line fuel filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.