Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch Cable Adjustment? (Read 75 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Clutch Cable Adjustment?
10/17/22 at 08:01:34

Please see photo of Cyclepedia service manual.  It says the clutch lever free play for a 1989 and newer is 10-15mm (0.4-0.6").  This is huge!  Is this correct or a typo?  I currently have my 2004 and 2006 bikes at about 3mm which is what the specs say for a 1986-1988.  Do other service manuals show a different spec?  I seem fine at 3mm and was just going through my normal checks when I pulled out the manual to confirm.  What the heck 10-15mm ---- that seems like a lot of slop! I don't like slop, but I want to be in spec too.

clutch_adj.jpg
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: Clutch Cable Adjustment?
Reply #1 - 10/17/22 at 08:18:09

My FSM says the clutch cable play should be 3 mm (0.12") before the clutch begins to disengage.  Funny it doesn't list a range...  the clutch lever play is listed as the same - .4 - .6" (which does seem huge!).

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/17/22 at 11:50:38

Please note the difference in terminology...

Clutch Lever vs. Clutch Cable.

That's why the big difference.

Clutch Lever is measured at the end of the lever.
Whereas the Clutch Cable is measured between the lever and perch.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/17/22 at 11:57:00

Manual transmission vehicles need a bit of free play in the clutch. As long as once it's all warmed up it has some slack before the cam hits the rod and starts pushing on the clutch pack,trying to disengage the clutch, it's fine.
Over time, barring cable stretch, that slack will diminish. That is what happens when clutches wear. The Toe play goes away.
Something to stay on top of is how the cable is sitting in the lever. Look up from underneath. If that slug isn't rotating when you pull the lever,it's bending the cable and it will break there. It's okay to ask how I know. If it's allowed to fall and get the cable out of the groove because it's so loose that the slug can fall from the vibration and bumps in the road, then you are gonna be needing a cable soon.
Check it, lube it, don't give it enough slack to create drama.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/17/22 at 14:20:01

Thanks y’all. I’m in agreement with all of you and I’m still not getting it.  The manual says “clutch lever play” for 89 and newer (mine are 04 and 06).  Why they change to jargon to “clutch cable play” to for 86-88 is confusing.  I adjusted the 04 to 3mm free cable play about a month ago and the clutch is like butter shifting (love it).  The 06 I’m working  has a more pronounced sound/engagement.  I am trying to address that.  Haven’t fully tested at 3mm adjusted (it was tight like 0-1mm).  Let’s see what a good test run does.  Still don’t think 10-15mm sounds right!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/17/22 at 17:44:56

Still don’t think 10-15mm sounds right!
Totally agree.
I'm not believing more free play makes a smooth shift.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/17/22 at 17:48:46

Yeah, it is confusing that they used 2 different terms for different years.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/17/22 at 17:51:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/17/22 at 17:44:56:
Still don’t think 10-15mm sounds right!
Totally agree.
I'm not believing more free play makes a smooth shift.

I agree. Id assume more free play shouldn't really make any difference besides the travel to disengage

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #8 - 10/17/22 at 19:51:44

verslagen1 wrote on 10/17/22 at 11:50:38:
Clutch Lever is measured at the end of the lever.
Whereas the Clutch Cable is measured between the lever and perch.

You guys did read what Versy said, right?  Set the cable play to spec, then measure what the free travel is at the END of the lever.  Then report back what you find.  a half inch at the end of the clutch lever does not sound that out of whack.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/18/22 at 05:09:52

See pic.  Lever and perch?  End of lever?  Here’s a pic of where I’m measuring.  Tell me what I’m measuring.  A quarter is 1.75mm thick.  2 quarters = 3.5mm.  One quarter falls out when inserted “at the lever” (my jargon).  Two quarters barely grab.  I’m at 3mm of “some kind of play”.  This is the way I’ve always checked my cable tension.  I guess a 1/2” is fine, but I’ve never wanted that much free play in the travel.

And yes I realize cable play adjustments are rarely to blame for hard shifting.  Like I said, I was just going through some basic checks and went here and looked at the manual and got dumbfounded by the jargon and reading 10-15mm.  That said, I have had instances where an out of spec free play DID cause hard shifting.  After all, how can you expect a transmission to shift smoothly if the clutch isn’t engaging or disengaging properly?

65D12535-66A1-4129-8809-78792863283B.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/18/22 at 07:14:23

ThumperPaul wrote on 10/18/22 at 05:09:52:
See pic.  Lever and perch?  End of lever?  Here’s a pic of where I’m measuring.  Tell me what I’m measuring.  A quarter is 1.75mm thick.  2 quarters = 3.5mm.  One quarter falls out when inserted “at the lever” (my jargon).  Two quarters barely grab.  I’m at 3mm of “some kind of play”.  This is the way I’ve always checked my cable tension.

between the lever and perch is the only measurement I've ever concerned myself with and as long as you have this as a minimum and it's not trying to walking away with you at stop lights then you're OK.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 10/18/22 at 07:36:10

Thanks Verslagen.  That's where I've always addressed my adjustment too.  I'm good with my 2 quarters!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 10/18/22 at 12:54:56

Can I borrow fifty cent ? That’s a good gauge if you can afford it. That is as simple as it gets. Remember newbies need help , not confused even more , it’s just a clutch adjustment !
Keep it simple

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 10/18/22 at 15:34:08

Apparently I’m still a newbie!  If you can slip a dollar bill under a pillow, I’ll send you 50 cents (buyer pays for shipping). Lol

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 10/19/22 at 14:27:25

Thumper Paul , It was a general statement , not directed at you.
Feel better ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:18:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Cable Adjustment?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.