Headlight not working (Read 65 times)
kirby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Headlight not working
10/13/22 at 22:04:15

I have a 2014 S40.
Suddenly headlight, running front signal lights, and horn stop working.
Flashing signal lights are working fine.

Please help.
Thanks

IP Logged
kirby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Headlight not working
Reply #1 - 10/13/22 at 23:30:02

There are 2 fuses, both are 20A and good.
I unplugged the connector close to the headlight and front signal lights (call it the big connector for this question). I checked the line from start switch to the connector (the running line). It has 12V when the ignition switch is on. It has 0 V when the start switch is pressed (as designed). But when I plugged in the connector, that line went to 0 V.
I opened the headlamp assembly and unplugged the headlamp and the running lines to the signal lights. The running line at the big connector got the 12V back. Is that mean there is a short circuit some where?
I plugged the headlamp back but still not working.
Headlamp is OK, both filaments are intact and not open when I checked with the ohm meter.

Please help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/14/22 at 07:18:00

the controls for the headlight, horn and signal lights all route thru the left connector.

power for all the circuits runs thru the right connector.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/14/22 at 08:24:28

Eyeballing the insides of the connectors, checking for corrosion, is a good start.
Sometimes just unplugging and plugging back in scrapes them good enough to get it done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kirby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/14/22 at 10:04:09

The left connector is what I call the "big connector" in my question.
I unplugged and cleaned it with the WD40 and air blow dry. I plugged and unplugged several times during the time I troubleshot it.

Horn, headlight. and running light of the signal are not working. It was intermittent worked first and then dead after several trials.

I unplugged horn and headlight to see if the running light of the signal was ok. No luck.
I unplugged the running light of the signal and plugged the headlight back. Still not working.

I checked the connector of the headlight. The 12V followed the low/high switch positions (i.e. switch in the high beam position, one terminal in the connector has voltage. Switch in the low beam position, the other terminal has voltage) Does that mean I lost the ground.

The starter switch controls the headlight and running light of the signal. I checked that wire, and it seems OK.

I opened the control on left side (high/low beam, horn, signal switches), and right side (starter, kill, and hazard switches). Could not find anything there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/14/22 at 12:35:22

kirby wrote on 10/14/22 at 10:04:09:
I checked the connector of the headlight. The 12V followed the low/high switch positions (i.e. switch in the high beam position, one terminal in the connector has voltage. Switch in the low beam position, the other terminal has voltage) Does that mean I lost the ground?

did you check ground?

would be a real pisser if after all those checks only to be the ground.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/14/22 at 17:36:57

Check your grounds to the frame.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kirby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/14/22 at 19:43:02

looks like not enough current in that circuit. When I completely removed headlamp, horn, and unplugged front signal lights to the running line, the line had 12V.

As soon as I applied load, either plugged the horn or headlamp, the voltage dropped to 0. The load is very small, i.e. the headlamp is only 0.3 ohm, enough to pull the voltage to 0. How could it be?

Everything else is working fine. I can start the bike and ride it. Just the headlight, horn, and running light of the signals are not working.

There is no relay in that circuit. There is only one voltage regulator for the whole bike. So what is broken here.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/14/22 at 20:01:53

you gotta short

12v / 6amp = 2 ohm.

measure the lamp by itself.

WWW   IP Logged
kirby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/14/22 at 20:07:08

I bought new lamp, 9003, and check the resistant. They are all 0.2 ohm. I plugged the new headlamp in and got the same result, voltage dropped to 0. The problem of the lamp should be open (burned out), right?

If I don't connect the headlamp but connect one of the signal light or the horn, the voltage drops to 0 too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/14/22 at 20:23:24

Voltage where? The battery?
It's not popping fuses like flashbulbs, so what is happening?
Versy? Shouldn't That pop fuses?

I'm still stuck on ground. Because I'm too confused to understand it.

Where are you hooking up your meter?

IP Logged
kirby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/14/22 at 22:22:54

It turns out the big connector on the right side, the power connector. It was the last one left untouched because I did not think that I lost the power to that circuit.

Just for completeness of cleaning up, I cleaned up that connector and now the problem fixed.

Thank you, verslagent1 and justin_o_guy2 for helping me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/15/22 at 05:30:04

And you learned it's a lot easier to mess with a connector and prove it's good than pull your hair out. That is a win..

IP Logged
kirby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/16/22 at 16:04:27

Yes, justin_o_guy2. That's what you said: "Sometimes just unplugging and plugging back in scrapes them good enough to get it done."

I still cannot explain the problem. The running line comes from the starter switch has 12V, and the voltage difference between the terminals, ground and low beam when switch in the low beam position, in the headlamp connector is 12V when lamp disconnected. What in the power connector on the right side of the bike has that if losing connection will cause the power in the running line gone when connecting the lamp back.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:17:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight not working

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.