Send Topic Print
Front turn indicators (Read 37 times)
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Front turn indicators
10/11/22 at 16:28:54

Recently went for a warrant of fitness for my bike The inspector was not happy with my front turn indicator lights
He thought there was not enough contrast in the flashing
The lamp should be off and on not running light on and then indicator light coming on as well when it flashes
He gave me the warrant with some reluctance and commented that he personally would not be happy with it.
I can see his point What do others think?

Hiko   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Front turn indicators
Reply #1 - 10/11/22 at 17:58:20

I see his point of view as they aren't as clear. As long as you are withing your state laws it's fine. If you aren't and you get clipped by a car, then there's a problem.

IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/11/22 at 18:46:49

I don't even have front indicators on mine as a year round daily driver -- but I do plan to put some LED's, probably on the forks, in the future. I think LED is simply the way to go for lighting, there are a ton of options but most are priced between $100-200.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/11/22 at 20:01:01

I would argue that the lights are designed by the OEM to meet the requirements world wide.

So unless you're using something other than OEM equivalent lighting (i.e., LED's) there's really not much he can do, and heaven help him if he did.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/12/22 at 00:34:41

Actually by law, at least in the US, the front of a vehicle must have a running light. The low/high contrast between running light and flasher should be 1:5, but many cheap amazon LED bulbs do not have that, so stick with regular incandescent bulbs, or get a proper LED flasher.

Another option are "switchback bulbs" that do not have a difference in contrast, but they are white as running light and switch to amber for flasher.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/13/22 at 21:25:03

Are you sure about that law in the USA? I believe they are required by law in Canada but not the USA. As far as a motorcycle goes, the headlamp is a sufficient DRL anyway so no need to use the indicators

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front turn indicators

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.