Odd running aver rain (Read 21 times)
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Odd running aver rain
10/07/22 at 12:43:00

Yo Savages,

so, here's an odd question: I came down with a cold, bike sat for around 4 days during the hurricane. (Bike lives outside on the street, covered.) After feeling better today and getting back in the saddle, exhaust sounds really muffled and I've got a loss of power. I thought it might be possible I left the petcock in the ON position and the crank got some gas in it, but I don't smell any gas in there. It almost feels like it's running rich. It doesn;t seem to want to produce much power in the higher gears. Any ideas on where to start diagnosing this?

First night of the storm it did get plenty wet, I was thinking the muffler may have taken on some rain water but I dont see much smoke to indicate that.

I hope to pull the spark plug tomorrow to see what it can tell me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Odd running aver rain
Reply #1 - 10/07/22 at 17:48:00

Poke something up your tailpipe. Make sure it's not a bit stopped up.
Doesn't matter if it sounds stupid, costs nothing, takes seconds,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 10/08/22 at 11:45:36

I assume you live in FL or SC.  Glad you are OK.

Is it possible your parking area flooded and the water level rose above your muffler?  If yes, then of course your muffler could be filled with water.

Don't overlook your air filter.  It may be soaked.  Easy enough to check.  If the air filter is full of water, you should probably drain your carb to make sure you don't have water in the float bowl.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/08/22 at 12:29:12

Nah I'm in PHiladelphia -- the hurricane was just a very long rain event for us.

I was able to fix it today though! Changed the oil, checked the air filter, checked the exhaust, found no issues -- however, I decided to pull the spark plug to see if it could be carbon fouled, rich etc. the plug for whatever reason was extremely loose, like, turned out and the threads were alittle scorched. I'm thinking I had a loss of compression due to this -- put a new plug in and the bike is mint!

This is actually the second time i've pulled the plug and found it to be loose -- has anyone else experienced this? is it the nature of single cylinders that they want to shake the spark plug loose?

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:28:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Odd running aver rain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.