Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loud noise from left lower of engine (Read 57 times)
Suzuki86prince
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

victoria
Loud noise from left lower of engine
10/06/22 at 21:57:04

hi everyone
Tonight as I was bringing my bike home, killed the engine as I opened the fence and when I went to turn the bike back on, I heard this loud noise come from the lower part of my engine. It was a cla clunk noise, but after that it idled normal so I thought I’d try it again, and it did the same cla clunk.
To mention I just changed the oil and took my back wheel off ( and the belt)
As I needed to check my rear brakes. And I’ve been on several small rides since then with no problems.
Anyways my question is, have any of you had your bike make a cla clunk noise apon starting your bike ?
Is so what was the reason ?
And tbh I don’t know what’s underneath the left lower cover so if someone could explain that too ?
Thanks again .

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Loud noise from left lower of engine
Reply #1 - 10/06/22 at 22:58:22

The starter feeds into the left side and there's a couple of gears and a 1 way clutch.
As well as a generator.

I advise you get it looked at because 86's have a habit of breaking teeth off of the starter ring gear as well as breaking the bosses the starter gears are in.

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/07/22 at 00:35:09

Unfortunately I just had the same issue And am in the process of getting the bike back together. It's not good unfortunately.
I'm willing to bet at least one of the starter gears have busted teeth.

IP Logged
Suzuki86prince
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

victoria
Reply #3 - 10/07/22 at 19:46:24

Thanks for the info Smiley
Update,
I took the side case off today, luckily the teeth were clean and not broken.
So I cleaned it up, took what must of been the original gasket off with a hell of a time doing so. And put it back together.
But now I am getting a noise from the starter it self, it’s As if it is running for a second or two after the engine has started already. Could this just be my battery being low, or could it be something else?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/07/22 at 20:02:33

I've had a starter solenoid get pitted in the contacts that carry the starter current and stick. It was turning the engine over after I turned it off, stuck it in neutral ,set the brake,popped the hood and thankfully was able to get the battery cable off. Yeah, pickup, but relay contacts are relay contacts and stuff like that Can happen.

I would want to bench test that.
Or, YaKnow, you can hook a test lamp up to the post on the starter and run the wire to ground, so when you hit the start button the light lights up, when you let offa the start button that light should Immediately go out. If it doesn't I'd be putting a new solenoid on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/07/22 at 22:10:53

while you have the side cover off, check the nut on the rotor, sometimes it loosens up

WWW   IP Logged
Suzuki86prince
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

victoria
Reply #6 - 10/08/22 at 12:10:16

So I put my side cover back on, but I’d like to take it off again and make sure I tightened the electronic part properly thinking that may have something to do with the starter as before I took the side off it started on a dime perfectly.
The thing I am wondering, is there oil in this compartment, as I thought there was so I emptyed the oil before taking it off last time. But what I’m hoping for it that I won’t have to do that again as it’s a hassle and that would be the second time doing it in the last two weeks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/08/22 at 13:14:47

Suzuki86prince wrote on 10/08/22 at 12:10:16:
The thing I am wondering, is there oil in this compartment, as I thought there was so I emptyed the oil before taking it off last time. But what I’m hoping for it that I won’t have to do that again as it’s a hassle and that would be the second time doing it in the last two weeks.

There's oil in both side covers.  I don't know where it's coming from on the stator side, but there's bearings mounted on the case open to this side.

But all you have to do is tilt the bike a bit and it'll go into the case.
Makes it easier to work on too.

WWW   IP Logged
Suzuki86prince
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

victoria
Reply #8 - 10/08/22 at 15:40:53

Ok so if I understand what your saying is that I won’t need to empty the oil, I can just lean the bike toward the right and I will be able to take the left side off with out spilling the oil ?

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/08/22 at 16:22:51

You'll still lose some oil. But the further you lean it, the less you'll lose

« Last Edit: 10/08/22 at 18:13:31 by Moarpower »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home