Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear drum won’t stop squealing (Read 15 times)
Suzuki86prince
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

victoria
Rear drum won’t stop squealing
10/06/22 at 13:53:58

hi everyone first thing, I wanna say thanks to everyone. I’ve used this site for every thing I’ve done one my bike. I recently bought a 86 savage.
It’s in great condition, but of course there is a lot of little things that need to be kept up.
And brake being one of them. As mine were squealing I thought they must be ready to change, I ordered new ones and went to work. But after I took the wheel off I came to find out my brakes are pretty much brand new still. So I cleaned out the drum and brakes from the dust build up and put them back in (old ones). Thinking it was just the dust, but come to my next ride it’s still making the same noise. Im and tbh it’s embarrassing having my beautiful bike squealing.
Anyway my question is there anyways to stop this from happening or some kind of product that helps
Thanks for the help

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear drum won’t stop squealing
Reply #1 - 10/06/22 at 15:12:54

2 things will cause the brakes (front or rear) to squeal, dirt, sometime known as brake dust and moisture.

Getting rid of moisture is pretty easy, so I'd try this 1st.
Brake hard a few times until the brakes are hot
They don't need to glow red or anything, but 200-300 degrees will burn off anything.

Dirt involves some work.
Drilled front disk will clear both quite quickly.
On the rear, modify the shoes.  
Every commercial available shoe comes with tapered leading and trailing edges.
In my opinion, this just allows the noise making dust to get between the shoe and drum.
To stop that, take an angle grinder and cut a groove after the taper to channel the dirt towards the outer edge of the brake.  
I've gone as far as to remove the entire tapered area. Only needed on the leading edge.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:41:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear drum won’t stop squealing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.