Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Grinding gears when shifting after reassembly. (Read 147 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Grinding gears when shifting after reassembly.
10/05/22 at 04:19:49

Hi guys. I finally got the 1986 back together after starter gear failure.
. The clutch basket was removed and all disks cleaned, the engine was flushed twice before firing up with new oil.

Now when I go to shift I get a grind so the clutch isn't disengaging. It shifts fine when the bike isnt running obviously.

I followed the manual when putting everything back together and removed any Freeplay in the clutch lever on the case.

I torqued the spring bolts to spec. Are they meant to still have any spring range left or are they meant to bolt all the way down and then torque like I did ?

It was shifting great before I pulled it down.

I torqued the springs down to spec and made sure to slide the pushrod in . Is it meant to be pushed in with any force ?

I'll be pulling it back apart to check tomorrow. The other thing I thought is that maybe because it was cleaned very well it isn't coated in oil yet, not sure if that will make a difference

« Last Edit: 10/05/22 at 14:56:44 by Moarpower »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Grinding gears when shifting after reassembly.
Reply #1 - 10/05/22 at 12:34:48

Moarpower wrote on 10/05/22 at 04:19:49:
Now when I go to shift I get a grind so the clutch isn't engaging. It shifts fine when the bike isnt running obviously.

Please clarify, you pull in the clutch lever with the engine running and you try to put it in gear but it only grinds?

But it shifts fine with the engine off?

If so, the clutch is not disengaging.

Where is the lever on the case when you lift it by hand compared to the marks behind the lever?

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/05/22 at 14:59:25

Ill check the lever now. I adjusted it to be tighter.

I mentioned it shifting when not running just to clarify that the linkages and everything are working fine so it is a clutch issue.

I mixed up some of the clutch plates when cleaning them. Is there a particular plate that needs to go first?

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/05/22 at 15:06:18

verslagen1 wrote on 10/05/22 at 12:34:48:
Where is the lever on the case when you lift it by hand compared to the marks behind the lever?

the lever is between the 2 marks when resting and above the top mark when pulled.

I have ordered new plates and springs but they will be a while getting here.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/05/22 at 16:20:32

Moarpower wrote on 10/05/22 at 14:59:25:
I mixed up some of the clutch plates when cleaning them. Is there a particular plate that needs to go first?

there's only 1 plate that's different and that goes on last.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/05/22 at 16:22:52

Moarpower wrote on 10/05/22 at 15:06:18:
verslagen1 wrote on 10/05/22 at 12:34:48:

the lever is between the 2 marks when resting and above the top mark when pulled.

where? in the middle? or towards the top?

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/05/22 at 16:41:22

In the middle.

It was also grinding before I tightened it. At that point it was sitting lower.

I just realized there is on larger diameter friction disk. There is a chance this was not installed at the start of the stack. As a matter of fact Im not sure there was actually a larger one in the stack. I'll pull it apart and check but I believe they were all the same size.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/05/22 at 17:44:40

It will roll fine whilst in gear, clutch depressed and not running

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/05/22 at 23:52:48

I pulled it all apart, made sure the bigger disk was just after the large spring washers, reinstalled it all and still getting the same grinding, what's worse is the large locking bolt stripped when torquing it down, I flipped it over and was able to lock it into place but now Ill need one of those too.
I have not yet changed the pads and steel plates but I have ordered them along with new thrust washers and springs.

There is no movement in the clutch plates when it's torqued down and the clutch lever is firm.

IM really at loss here

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/08/22 at 04:01:08

After ordering from 2 separate sellers only to be told after paying they there is no stock, I found new springs, washers and plates. So hopefully next week I can try again with a new clutch build and the problem will be gone.
If not I don't know what to do or what it could be.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/08/22 at 08:32:55

Moarpower wrote on 10/05/22 at 17:44:40:
It will roll fine whilst in gear, clutch depressed and not running

I'd like it better if that wasn't true.
Why would you Say that JoG?
Well, because it sounds like the clutch basket and all of its bits and pieces are disengaged completely.
So what is allowing the rotation of the crankshaft to continue to spin the input to the transmission If the clutch is disengaged?
What oil are you running?
I very often just don't Use the clutch from second on up and back down, the clutch, because of the big jump in gear ratios between first and second, is used there.
Have you tried making the change Quickly, just as soon as the lever is back a quarter inch, slap the gas shut and grab a gear?
Have you checked to see how far you have to pull the lever, engine off,in first gear, light pressure on the bars,trying to roll it, how far does the lever have to be pulled to disengage the clutch?

As a former warehouse manager I learned that when ordering stuff the question isn't
How much is this part?
It's
What is the Price And Availability?
It's pretty crappy of people to not tell you they don't have it in stock, but most people will sell it to you and then try to get it to ship it to you.
I've even had them lie to me. I've been buying things for a customer who Needs the product, make a few calls, someone quote me a price and tell me I should have it in three days. So I would tell my customer we otta have it in three days. I got chewed out several times before I figured out what was happening and stopped giving my customer a date. Unless it was someone I did a lot of business with and trusted them to tell me the truth about when I would get it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/08/22 at 11:28:51

Moarpower wrote on 10/08/22 at 04:01:08:
After ordering from 2 separate sellers only to be told after paying they there is no stock, I found new springs, washers and plates. So hopefully next week I can try again with a new clutch build and the problem will be gone.
If not I don't know what to do or what it could be.

Look for Dowel Pins, full hard, 6mm or 1/4", about 2" long or 50mm.
The rods are 44, 45 and 46mm long so just them to the right length and grind the end (I put a full radius on them so they fit the pocket of the cam)

Someone said use drill rod, but the HS drill I used wore wear it rides in the hole, but the dowel pins didn't.

GD, the oem supplier says $6 each?  used to be $2
You can buy a 50 pack of the dowels for $22 or so.

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/08/22 at 16:25:55

Sorry for the noob question but how do I know which size pins i need ?  Or do I just try them all

« Last Edit: 10/09/22 at 04:28:28 by Moarpower »  
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/09/22 at 20:14:36

Hey guys.

So I started it in neutral and gently put it into first. It did grind a little but the bike moved and was able to shift into second. Going back to first there was more grinding so I shut it off and pushed it home in neutral. Opened up and inspected the clutch again.

I will add that the previous owner had 2 small coins with holes in them used as makeshift washers or spacers installed under each of the 4 clutch springs. I removed them this time. I adjusted to free play in the clutch to be about a quarter inch. Now it is giving a grind when I try to push it into gear, but when in gear, the rear wheel moves for a moment but then stops and spins freely. The same for all gears. Could the coins have been installed to combat the wear on the clutch and now removing them has mad it not work properly?

When I was torquing down the clutch locking bolt on the shaft, the shaft did rotate clockwise a few times and made a twangy sound that did worry me, but it would always turn the rear wheel when I was rotating the shaft.

I am using a 15w40 full synthetic oil. Looks like ill also be needing a new clutch cable as it is freying at the handle  Angry

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/09/22 at 22:21:16

Moarpower wrote on 10/08/22 at 16:25:55:
Sorry for the noob question but how do I know which size pins i need ?  Or do I just try them all

I pick the one that sticks out of the pack about 12 to 12.5mm

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:12:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grinding gears when shifting after reassembly.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.