Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Issue seating rotor/generator (Read 57 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Issue seating rotor/generator
10/03/22 at 16:38:49

I can't get this seated all the way. About a 3mm gap still. Any tips on getting it done? Or is this as far as it is supposed to go? there is very slight play in the starter clutch gear. TO rule out the key I tried again without it.
« Last Edit: 10/03/22 at 21:30:55 by Moarpower »  

Compress_20221004_093832_2091.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Issue seating rotor
Reply #1 - 10/03/22 at 18:02:31

This is the gap I'm referring to

PXL_20221003_2318393074.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Issue seating rotor
Reply #2 - 10/03/22 at 20:46:45

With no indication in the manual and no advice here or on other pages I'm thinking that's as far as it goes in

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Issue seating rotor/generator
Reply #3 - 10/03/22 at 21:35:06

I've never been in there. I hope I never am. I got nothing, man. Maybe someone will come along and tell you it looks right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/03/22 at 22:07:24

I've been in there, but don't recall probably because I did what I've always done.

Seat the key in the pocket and shove the part on top of it.

And because there's a bolt to lock it in, never looked back.

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/03/22 at 23:53:47

verslagen1 wrote on 10/03/22 at 22:07:24:
I've been in there, but don't recall probably because I did what I've always done.

Seat the key in the pocket and shove the part on top of it.

And because there's a bolt to lock it in, never looked back.

I think I'll just go for it as it. I need to to 2nflushes, find an oil filter magnet and magnetic drain plug before I feel comfortable riding.

What color loctite should I use on the bolt ?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 10/06/22 at 15:29:12

There will (and must) always be a gap in the location you show in your photo.  It's a taper fit so the gap will vary from engine to engine but not by a whole lot.  If there were no gap, it would mean that the rotor was bottomed out on the face of the shaft, and it would most likely wobble.  

I personally think you have some sort of problem.  You can see that the rotor has been rubbing on the stator.  See the area circled in orange?  Those are rub marks.  I don't think you are getting the rotor properly seated on the taper.

Take the rotor off.  Remove the key and the starter gear (the big gear behind the rotor).  Clean both the tapered bore in the rotor and the taper on the shaft.  Take some clear pictures and post.

Apply a light coat of prussian blue to the shaft taper and shove the rotor on (leave the key and the gear off for this check).  Install the bolt and lightly tighten (approx 20 ft-lbs).  Remove the bolt and measure your gap between the rotor and the end of the shaft (circled in green).  Record the gap for reference.  Remove the rotor and inspect your bluing transfer.  If it is going all the way on there should be a lot of bluing transfer.  If not, use the bluing transfer to identify where the rotor is hanging up on the taper.  Correct the problem.

Once you have good bluing transfer and you are confident that the rotor is goin all the way home, measure and record your gap.  Then put it back together with the starter gear and key.  Verify the rotor is all the way home by checking the final gap you recorder with good bluing transfer.

The bolt requires red loctite.

Moarpowers_Rotor_Gap_and_Rub.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/06/22 at 23:58:54

Thanks for clarifying.
In regards to the rub marks. I believe they are from the teeth breaking off the starter clutch and idler gears.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/07/22 at 19:44:47

The marks aren't from something bouncing around. The lines are not something you would get from that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/08/22 at 03:59:13

I don't believe they were bouncing around but became wedged in place. I found 2 large teeth in there.
There isn't really any opportunity for anything else to be rubbing. It's all lied up and straight. And there is no noise from there when spinning.

If the marks weren't from the teeth they've been there since long before I've had the bike and aren't any issue now.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/08/22 at 10:21:36

Okay, you have the eyeballs on it. Keep swinging at it!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Issue seating rotor/generator

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.