Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust Head Gasket Toast (Read 47 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Exhaust Head Gasket Toast
09/20/22 at 12:52:44

Is it fair to say this exhaust gasket is toast?  Before removing it, there were several small pieces that dropped out.  Is this kind of deterioration normal?  Just curious. I obviously replaced it.  I ask because I couldn’t accurately determine if I had an exhaust leak at the head connection.  It may be my imagination and I haven’t taken a good test ride, but I’m hopefully optimistic this was part of my afterfire kaboom with the Jardine pipe.  As an aside, I cleaned the TEV part of the carb and I think it actually exacerbated the kaboom (not a real difference, again maybe my imagination, lol).

IMG_1816.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Exhaust Head Gasket Toast
Reply #1 - 09/20/22 at 13:47:16

Never seen one do that. Every time you pull the header,ya need to gently massage it to get it just a little longer, so reassembly puts pressure on it.
I hope you cleaned up the pocket in the head. From the looks of that thing it may have developed a crust of crud.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/20/22 at 14:48:05

I recently removed mine when re-wrapping pipes and it looked exactly like this (2013 s40 with 7.5k miles.) I was having typical backfiring before this --  when I pulled the spark plug it looked perfect, as in, not over heating (except one instance when I did have a leak at this junction and my header got cherry red). Not sure what caused mine to do this, could have been that one overheating episode I suppose. After replacing the gasket, installing a VM36 Mikuni, new pipe wrap it seems fine since then. Occasional popping when I decel in second after WOT.

Be careful with those header bolts brother. Danger zone. They aren't supposed to bottom out, they are just supposed to be clamping it down form what I understand.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 09/20/22 at 20:02:33

I replaced the bolts with studs and I replace the studs anytime exhaust is off. Bolts or studs seem to crystallize after some time then break , I replace them before that happens.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/21/22 at 04:14:44

Thanks guys.  This one wins the prize for slinky gasket!  Interesting that Surviving Philly had also seen this.  And y’all are all right about cleaning up the port, not over tightening, and replacing bolts.  I actually dropped down to 30mm length from 35mm for fear of bottoming out and having snapped off a seized header bolt one time.  30mm works and some anti-seize hopefully ensures that doesn’t happen again.  I may be partially to blame when I did check/tighten the older header bolts when the bike was still warm.   Live and learn!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/21/22 at 08:38:47

I wonder if the pressure waves from the backfire didn't gut the thing..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:16:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Head Gasket Toast

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.