Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone rides supermotos? (Read 68 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Anyone rides supermotos?
09/06/22 at 08:45:55

I think Supermotos are far better than sport/naked motorcycles, they are easier to handle in the twisties. I've been eyeing a KTM 690 SMC-R. In a way it is similar to our bikes - 360lbs, 690cc thumper, but with a lot more oomph. Pricy at 12.5k start.

Whats everyone think?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Anyone rides supermotos?
Reply #1 - 09/06/22 at 13:09:47

The KTM 690 SMC R seat height is 890 mm (35.0 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.

I don't look that great in heels. The Savage is short guy friendly.
If I had the legs and bank account, I still don't see how I would be able to use it the way I want. A fun ride is, of course, very important. But for me, I want to be able to haul stuff. My Lucernes box will take a five gallon gasoline can,or a 30 pack of beer and some groceries, add bags and I was able to ride down to Galveston and spend a few days and haul it all back home. I'm not seeing how to get that bike rigged up to accomplish doing more than just ripping the streets.
Would I ride one? Ohh,Hayull Yeah. Hopping off the seat,putting a foot down and let the other hang over the seat.. I've seen a Really short guy riding a Suzuki, bigger and heavier than the Savage and that was how he was doing it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/06/22 at 15:27:26

I suppose Supermotos are fine.....if that is the style of riding you want to do - maybe if I was 20 years old again I would find them irresistable.  I am not sure how much easier they are to ride than a sport bike - the riders both seem to be working equally as hard when they are riding aggressively in the curves.  The supermoto does look like a more comfortable seating position than a sport bike.

Sport bikes are not my style either - but a Sport Touring bike is.  Something that can be ridden quickly in the twisties, has decent wind and rain protection, and is also able to pack luggage and go 300 miles between fuel stops.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/06/22 at 16:43:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/06/22 at 13:09:47:
The KTM 690 SMC R seat height is 890 mm (35.0 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.

I don't look that great in heels. The Savage is short guy friendly.
If I had the legs and bank account, I still don't see how I would be able to use it the way I want. A fun ride is, of course, very important. But for me, I want to be able to haul stuff. My Lucernes box will take a five gallon gasoline can,or a 30 pack of beer and some groceries, add bags and I was able to ride down to Galveston and spend a few days and haul it all back home. I'm not seeing how to get that bike rigged up to accomplish doing more than just ripping the streets.
Would I ride one? Ohh,Hayull Yeah. Hopping off the seat,putting a foot down and let the other hang over the seat.. I've seen a Really short guy riding a Suzuki, bigger and heavier than the Savage and that was how he was doing it.

Well, I am 6'4", so I had my S40 seat modified to about 33 inches, and I added a big trunk. The 35" supermoto seat height is absolutely perfect for me. Lack of cargo is a big issue of course.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/06/22 at 16:46:56

Dave wrote on 09/06/22 at 15:27:26:
I suppose Supermotos are fine.....if that is the style of riding you want to do - maybe if I was 20 years old again I would find them irresistable.  I am not sure how much easier they are to ride than a sport bike - the riders both seem to be working equally as hard when they are riding aggressively in the curves.  The supermoto does look like a more comfortable seating position than a sport bike.

I dont know if I agree, I see a lot of sport bike riders struggle with tight twisties. They are great at high speed curves, but most liter bikes are well over 400lbs, and aren't very nimble at slow speeds - at least from my limited experience.

For what its worth, our Savages are absolutely awesome in the twists. With a big brake kit and Michelin Commander tires I easily keep up with sport bikes in the curves.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/06/22 at 16:50:00

And with all that being said, I just scored a killer deal on the 690 SMC-R. Gotta get the tags and insurance and I'll be ready to rock and roll.

IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/06/22 at 16:55:31

I wanted a super moto but the seats are too high for me.
Kawasaki and Suzuki both make nice SM models.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 09/06/22 at 20:49:09

wheelbender6 wrote on 09/06/22 at 16:55:31:
I wanted a super moto but the seats are too high for me.
Kawasaki and Suzuki both make nice SM models.
----------

Bunk!

Once you are moving seat height doesn't matter.  Look at the starting line at any pro motocross race, less than half of them can touch both feet on the ground when stopped.  

You just keep one foot on the peg, slide over to one side of the seat, and put your other foot down.

11-time AMA MX/SX Champion Ricky Carmichael is only 5'6" and raced bikes with 37'-38" seat heights....and he didn't need training wheels.  Wink

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/06/22 at 21:57:43

^ When the bike is so light, you can almost balance it at a standstill without putting your feet down, it's like a bicycle.

Them 900lbs Harleys, now these are tough to ride.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 09/06/22 at 23:21:26

Cool KTM , I’d strip it make a cafe racer. All that plastic body work would be replaced with carbon fiber and aluminum. I raced a 690 in the hills one day. He had me in the short straights , both very close in the twisties , but his bike was geared for wheelies , as soon as road straightened out , at 80 I started loosing him , at 90+ I was gone and Grinning ! Waited for him at gas station he seemed real upset and unwilling to talk. Obviously in need of a therapy session !
Note: He was on slicks , I was on some Asian junk tires(still having fun)

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 09/07/22 at 00:15:10

Friend of mine had a 83 Yamaha IT490 , I had to use a picnic bench to start it , but I would ride that bike out of fuel. I could not stop , it was so much fun. The IT had a heavier flywheel than the YZ , but my buddy had a YZ top end on it. One fast bike with 11-12” of travel , disc brakes , it hurled huge rocks everywhere , no one dared to pass and it better be a inside pass , you could quite literally shoot people off their bikes with the throttle. Cool bike , as long as there was a picnic bench around. However it is important that both feet reach the pegs  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/07/22 at 07:50:10

Ruttly wrote on 09/06/22 at 23:21:26:
Cool KTM , I’d strip it make a cafe racer. All that plastic body work would be replaced with carbon fiber and aluminum. I raced a 690 in the hills one day. He had me in the short straights , both very close in the twisties , but his bike was geared for wheelies , as soon as road straightened out , at 80 I started loosing him , at 90+ I was gone and Grinning ! Waited for him at gas station he seemed real upset and unwilling to talk. Obviously in need of a therapy session !
Note: He was on slicks , I was on some Asian junk tires(still having fun)

You raced the 690 on a Savage?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/07/22 at 08:17:52

Waited for him at gas station he seemed real upset and unwilling to talk.

Sounds like you dodged a conversation with a jakkass.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 09/07/22 at 14:20:55

That’s a for sure ! JOG  

In a drag race he beat me in every gear , he wheeliedin every gear then it got twisty and downhill , fell in behind , made him nervous, study how he turns , look for the window , knew road would straighten , got him not looking going right , almost ran into him diving to the inside , think I scared him , hell scared myself on those Kenda 671s but they hung on , saw him in the mirror twice , I was focused on task at hand
Note :KTMs are race bikes that are street legal

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 09/07/22 at 14:41:35

Downhill  Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 15:31:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone rides supermotos?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.