Send Topic Print
Ls650 Wont accelerate (Read 140 times)
14gills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ls650 Wont accelerate
09/02/22 at 22:10:34

Hi peeps, I am new to this forum. I have recently bought a ls650 and it has issues. It has not run I’m many years. It has had the carb cleaned and or rebuilt. So that’s nice, it starts but won’t accelerate and kind of shutters when It wants to accelerate. Does anyone know what is causing this? I looked through a lot of this forum and can’t find anything that addresses this. Please help!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ls650 Wont accelerate
Reply #1 - 09/03/22 at 08:27:58

Need more information.
New gas? Who cleaned the carb? No, not the name. Some booger picking kid with a paper clip? Real mechanic? Try running it on Prime. Or,does it still have the OEM petcock? How many miles on it?
Will it rev up in neutral?
Don't let it sit and idle on the kick stand. The engine can't get oil to the high end of the cam and it will mess it up.
Other than the carb,has there been any other work done? Do you know Why it got parked for so long?
Does it have a fuel filter between tank and carburetor?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
14gills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/03/22 at 10:56:44

Yes I put some new non ethinal in the tank. I took it apart to clean it and it was way clean. Not sure who cleaned it prior.  Looks like a new pet ok was also installed. It says on the odometer 45558 miles. It dose not really rev at all, but does have a higher then normal idol I think. It won’t start unless the kickstand is up. From what I can tell no other work has been done. Kid I bought it from let it sit due to weather or not being able to drive it. Sat for about two years. There is no filter between the carb and the tank. I will attach pics. Thanks.  How do I add multiple pictures?
« Last Edit: 09/03/22 at 12:34:47 by 14gills »  

image_357.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 09/03/22 at 13:38:15

Looks like the throttle cable is either adjusted short or the throttle just isn't closing. The plate the cable is attached to? See how far the idle adjust screw is from touching it? You are idling at almost quarter throttle.
I would pull the fuel line off the carburetor and see how fast fuel is being delivered to the carb.
Make sure the kid plugged off the vacuum line that the OEM petcock used.
If that fuel line is skinnier than what it calls for, you won't get good fuel delivery
Aaand
If the kid bought a cheap knockoff petcock instead of the Official Yamaha ,about thirty dollar petcock, it has skinny plumbing and will not deliver.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #4 - 09/04/22 at 07:33:57

I agree with Justin,  there's alot of FUBA going on there. Throttle arm should look like this at rest. Notice the arm is touching the idle set screw

20220904_102848.jpg
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #5 - 09/04/22 at 07:42:52

Why is the speedo disconnected?

Also noticed the gas line is too long. It's going upwards before getting to the carb. Should be going directly to the carb with preferably a fuel filter.

The petcock should have an 5/16" outlet! If it's 1/4" it's a knock off aftermarket. You can get by with it for now until you resolve the carburetor issues. But at full woot  it might starve the engine. ( think full throttle on highway)

image_3572.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/04/22 at 09:01:09

Scottwerty wrote on 09/04/22 at 07:42:52:
Also noticed the gas line is too long. It's going upwards before getting to the carb. Should be going directly to the carb with preferably a fuel filter.

I have to disagree about the fuel filter, you have 2 mesh filters already (1 in the tank and 1 in the carb) you don't need a 3rd.
And generally, these paper filters are too much trouble for a gravity fed system.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/04/22 at 09:19:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/03/22 at 13:38:15:
Looks like the throttle cable is either adjusted short or the throttle just isn't closing. The plate the cable is attached to? See how far the idle adjust screw is from touching it? You are idling at almost quarter throttle.
I would pull the fuel line off the carburetor and see how fast fuel is being delivered to the carb.
Make sure the kid plugged off the vacuum line that the OEM petcock used.
If that fuel line is skinnier than what it calls for, you won't get good fuel delivery
Aaand
If the kid bought a cheap knockoff petcock instead of the Official Yamaha ,about thirty dollar petcock, it has skinny plumbing and will not deliver.

If you don't do the tests,you won't know what is going on.
Looks like you have a petcock that should be in the trash, maybe not.
You have to Prove fuel delivery to the carb.
Without that, it can be a new,perfect carb,and it's Not gonna run wurfacrap.
If he didn't plug the vacuum off,not gonna run wurfacrap.
If he didn't remove the shipping sleeves from the petcock.

Step One
Check fuel delivery to the carb.
Establish That.

If you establish that you have sufficient flow through the petcock and your fuel line to make the engine happy, connect the line to the carb and open the bowl drain and catch it in a measuring cup. Time it to a half cup.

« Last Edit: 09/04/22 at 14:25:31 by justin_o_guy2 »  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 09/04/22 at 17:20:24

1.  Petcock
2.  Worn or sticky slide
3.  Cracked or poorly installed diaphragm

Also, what do you mean by rebuild?  I hope you didn't install an aftermarket "rebuild kit".

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #9 - 09/04/22 at 18:19:38

verslagen1 wrote on 09/04/22 at 09:01:09:
Scottwerty wrote on 09/04/22 at 07:42:52:

I have to disagree about the fuel filter, you have 2 mesh filters already (1 in the tank and 1 in the carb) you don't need a 3rd.
And generally, these paper filters are too much trouble for a gravity fed system.

I stand corrected! verslagen! 🙌
Sometimes my knowledge is skewed to my childhood of working on 25yr old heavily neglected mopeds with seriously rusted out tanks. The filter was the only way to keep them running for more than a day or two. Gas would go in clear but the petcock poured brown.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/04/22 at 20:04:37

But you do have clean those screens once in a while.

WWW   IP Logged
14gills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/04/22 at 20:23:23

Awesome, I appreciate all the advice. I have adjusted the throttle so it touches as it should. It was stuck. Do know the diaphragm is new and installed and seated as it should be. I saw that when I took it apart. As far as a worm or sticky slide I don’t know what that means or how to check it. Please go in-depth on this for me.
I want to get the right parts so this works as it should can anyone direct me to the correct or better petcock and where the cheapest place is to get it. Thanks.
Adjusting the throttle did help. I was able to hit third gear, but all gears  sputter at the top end. I am guessing( I don’t know) if that’s due to the wrong petcock and fuel supply. I hope this will solve the issue. Thanks for the help and please continue to help me out. This is my first bike and I enjoy working on it.
I have attached a pic of the other side of the carb. Something is capped off. Also the screw in the top right corner is way screwed in, should it be? How do I adjust that to proper setting? Should I have a filter between the petcock and the carb? I did not rebuild it. I took it apart to see how dirty the carb was. I was very clean so I hope whoever had it before me did not do anything but clean it.

8304C3DD-16C2-4944-83CB-EE3F4FC6425A.jpeg
  IP Logged
14gills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/04/22 at 20:41:01

One more thing when I got the bike I got a bag of goodies the original petcock was in it. Can I use this? Can I clean it and reinstall it? Or is there some reason to not use it due to the fact it came in a bag not on the bike?

image_358.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/04/22 at 21:34:33

14gills wrote on 09/04/22 at 20:23:23:
As far as a worm or sticky slide I don’t know what that means or how to check it. Please go in-depth on this for me.

This is easy, if you twist the throttle and nothing happens or it suddenly happens it can be a stuck slide.
sometimes the slide will stick when moving it by hand too.  remove the rubber ducky between the carb and airbox, you can use your finger to lift the slide.  it should move up and down freely.  

You can add lucas fuel injector cleaner to your gas to help eliminate the problem.  About an ounce per tankful.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/04/22 at 21:39:19

14gills wrote on 09/04/22 at 20:41:01:
One more thing when I got the bike I got a bag of goodies the original petcock was in it. Can I use this? Can I clean it and reinstall it? Or is there some reason to not use it due to the fact it came in a bag not on the bike?

A lot of crap on the lower part of the screen.
This will cause problems when you have it on reserve.

Not knowing the condition or age of the stock petcock, I wouldn't use it to go far, only for determining the problem.

Seeing all that crap, I'd check the screen in the carb.
I'd also pull the current petcock to check it too.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 09:17:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ls650 Wont accelerate

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.