Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Direct collusion (Read 191 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Direct collusion
09/01/22 at 19:02:30

I have long suspected a direct collusion with the federal authorities and social media companies.  This was met with much dis-contempt by people stating these are  private companies and they can filter and suppress the content of the material as they see fit.  

Even Zuckerberg has come forward and admitted the authorities warned him about 'Russian Propaganda" as they suppressed the investigation.   This had a material impact on the election.

At what point does this really become a freedom of speech violation?  Do you think it is a coincidence that the overwhelming majority of people de-platformed are conservative?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Direct collusion
Reply #1 - 09/01/22 at 19:47:32

Big tech,just another arm of the government

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/01/22 at 20:03:40

At what point does this really become a freedom of speech violation?

When the privately owned social media companies are either not privately owned, or the Constitution is amended to indicate even private businesses, and individual owners, like this forum for instance, can be criminally prosecuted for not allowing everyone to use it.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 09/01/22 at 23:54:13

Eegore wrote on 09/01/22 at 20:03:40:

When the privately owned social media companies are either not privately owned, or the Constitution is amended to indicate even private businesses, and individual owners, like this forum for instance, can be criminally prosecuted for not allowing everyone to use it.

By your statement an entity cannot influence the means of production unless it is the owned....

Best regards,  

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/02/22 at 03:40:50

Eegore wrote on 09/01/22 at 20:03:40:

No, you’re wrong. That same media is used by the government to inform its citizens of emergencies. Which means the government is very well aware of the influence those platforms have on the general public.

When government agencies in lock step executive or legislative branch, step in and use those platforms to directly interfere in an election by withholding information damaging to their  preferred political opponent or by encouraging publication of false information to benefit their preferred political opponent, that’s censorship.

Social media and media in general have grown so large and influential that any forcible attempt by the government  to alter content for devious political means is no different then the historical meaning of censorship such as Pravda as an example.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/02/22 at 05:52:34

"By your statement an entity cannot influence the means of production unless it is the owned...."

I will need further clarification.  What I mean to convey is that a privately owned company is not subject to Free Speech in the same way a Government run entity is.

For instance I run my own company, we have our own encrypted messaging program and I am not required by any part of the Constitution to recognize the 1st Amendment.  We can censor anything we wish and only allow access to approved individuals.  This is specific to 1st Amendment and only 1st Amendment with the exemption of all other known things.

Now if this privately run messaging program was publicly run, then the guidelines would be different.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #6 - 09/02/22 at 05:58:24

What I've learned:
News channels, left or right, conservative or liberal. mainstream or alternative...

They all want to tell you how to think.

And because we are all identified with our thinking......

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/02/22 at 05:59:40

"No, you’re wrong. That same media is used by the government to inform its citizens of emergencies. Which means the government is very well aware of the influence those platforms have on the general public."

And can any of these companies refuse to allow the government to use their platform?  Can Twitter, tomorrow, if they wanted, refuse to allow all Federal communications to exist on their platform, including emergencies?

Yes they could.  Because they are privately owned and operated.  They do not have to allow people to use their program because of "free speech" laws.  Those only apply to the Government.

When government agencies in lock step executive or legislative branch, step in and use those platforms to directly interfere in an election by withholding information damaging to their  preferred political opponent or by encouraging publication of false information to benefit their preferred political opponent, that’s censorship.

It may be censorship, but how is this a violation of "free speech" when the medium used is owned by a private company?  The private company at the end of the day is choosing what appears on their program, not the Government.  The First Amendment imposes very strict non-discrimination structure on "government actors."

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube are not Government Actors.

I get it that the Government is using these platforms, but the company itself has no obligation to protect your 1st Amendment.  If anything one could sue the Government for misusing a private company, but on the other end Facebook etc. have a media right.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 09/02/22 at 07:36:28

Eegore wrote on 09/02/22 at 05:52:34:
"By your statement an entity cannot influence the means of production unless it is the owned...."

What I mean to convey is that a privately owned company is not subject to Free Speech in the same way a Government run entity is.

BUMP - At what point does this really become a freedom of speech violation?

Best regards,

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/02/22 at 07:41:24

When private companies/citizens are held to the same free speech standard by the US Constitution as Government actors.

At this time no citizen or private company has an obligation to protect your 1st Amendment rights.  Significant changes to US law would need to happen.  Starting with allowing me to sue you if you do not let me use your company's assets to say things I want.  

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/02/22 at 08:15:45

Eegore wrote on 09/02/22 at 05:59:40:
"No, you’re wrong. That same media is used by the government to inform its citizens of emergencies. Which means the government is very well aware of the influence those platforms have on the general public."

And can any of these companies refuse to allow the government to use their platform?  Can Twitter, tomorrow, if they wanted, refuse to allow all Federal communications to exist on their platform, including emergencies?

Yes they could.  Because they are privately owned and operated.  They do not have to allow people to use their program because of "free speech" laws.  Those only apply to the Government.

It may be censorship, but how is this a violation of "free speech" when the medium used is owned by a private company?  The private company at the end of the day is choosing what appears on their program, not the Government.  The First Amendment imposes very strict non-discrimination structure on "government actors."

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube are not Government Actors.

I get it that the Government is using these platforms, but the company itself has no obligation to protect your 1st Amendment.  If anything one could sue the Government for misusing a private company, but on the other end Facebook etc. have a media right.

You’re missing the bigger and most important point. Can they refuse? Sure, but a specific administration is using them because they’re on the same team.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #11 - 09/02/22 at 08:20:05

"... can any of these companies refuse to allow the government to use their platform?  ...because they are privately owned and operated..."

Yes. Agree

Yet if one had a influencing platform.
And a government entity came to you and said;
'You will do this, or this will happen' (Threatening)
'You will do this, and this will happen' (Bribe)

Don't think anybody, that owns a 'influencing platform' has the balls to say no to any variation of the above.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/02/22 at 10:15:56

"You’re missing the bigger and most important point. Can they refuse? Sure, but a specific administration is using them because they’re on the same team."

This could be but I fail to see how that would be, by today's standards, a violation of free speech as protected by the US Constitution.  I believe it has more to do with the supporter of which POTUS is in office than actual free speech.  For instance if Facebook allowed Trump back on with no restrictions and then banned Biden, I don't think the same people would be complaining about how Facebook is in violation of free speech.

Too many people think that not being able to say what they want is a violation of free speech.  If I am banned from (insert any online service) my free speech is violated!  Nope.

Once these companies start committing to "public forum" identifiers, then we have some grounds to utilize 1st Amendment regulation.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/02/22 at 10:18:33

Yet if one had a influencing platform.
And a government entity came to you and said;
'You will do this, or this will happen' (Threatening)
'You will do this, and this will happen' (Bribe)

Don't think anybody, that owns a 'influencing platform' has the balls to say no to any variation of the above.

I think that would be a totally different set of crimes and legal questions than the 1st Amendment.  Trump was restricted from most of these platforms while in office so I'm not sure Government bribery and threats were part of it.  I have no way to tell.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 09/03/22 at 03:47:50

I think that would be a totally different set of crimes and legal questions than the 1st Amendment.

I disagree, it does bring into question a new set of legal issues and most likely new crimes.  However, the end result is likely the 1st amendment being directly affected.  By your position you state if an entity is privately owned they there can be no collusion if they don't accept the foreign influence.  The real world just doesn't work that way..............

Best regards,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:33:46

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Direct collusion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.