Oil consumption (Read 99 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Oil consumption
09/01/22 at 13:01:02

Newbee back again.  I’ve finally been able to take a few decent rides after doing a couple prescribed carb mods and installed a new E3 spark plug on the basically stock bike with a Jardine pipe.  With all the tinkerering, lots of idle run and warm time and only a short ride to test.  I’m using Valvoline full synthetic 20w/50 down here in hot Houston summer.  The bike seems to like to consume oil.  I haven’t drained and measured, but very noticeable.

DBM noted about 8oz of oil per 1,100 miles.  Seems a bit high, but I’m not surprised with a big thumper.  Much of my recent experience is 125cc dirt bikes and I just change the 1 liter of oil about ever 6-8 hours.

So, what do you seasoned vets do?  Top off as needed?  Change every 3000 miles?  How often do you change the filter (I’m using a K&N)?  A complete oil change with filter every 1,000 miles when the oil goes low seems excessive, but I am a firm believer in frequent oil changes.  But I also don’t like spending money I don’t have to. Looking for some thoughts. Thanks.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oil consumption
Reply #1 - 09/01/22 at 13:39:32

I didn't use synthetic oil. Shell Rotella 15/40 seemed to work well. With New oil I could go for a ride that spent some time at 60+ and it wouldn't use anything worth refilling it over. Put 2,000 miles on that oil and run it the same way and consumption rate would be appreciably more. I changed oil based on its consumption rate. If new oil doesn't go away very quickly, then what is the increase in consumption telling me?
I figured it was telling me the oil was being chopped up by the crushing and slicing of going through the gears,bearings,etc.
The thing doesn't hold a buncha oil, being low just makes me uncomfortable, so I carried a Coupla refilled Two Stroke oil containers. If it gets down to scary,I have been known to stop and buy oil, even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Change oil when I get home.
Check out the Mileage Hall of Fame. Some of these guys ride more miles than I can imagine. And Rotella 15/40 is what some of them use. IDK if they were using Dinosaur juice or synthetic.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #2 - 09/01/22 at 14:39:09

Not here to start a oil war! 😆 But  rotella Dino or synthetic is the way to go on the savage. I have been using  Rotella dino since 2006 with no ill effects or major oil consumption. I'm into changing it frequently just because rotella comes in a gallon jug and is cheap. Every other oil change I'll replace the filter.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/02/22 at 03:32:24

Thanks Guys!  The “oil war” comment gave me a good chuckle.  I’m kinda a Valvoline guy.  Everybody has a favorite that is the best!  Lol.  Learning that consumption is rather high, I will be dumbing down to the cheaper conventional.  Since the Shell Rotella got 2 out of 2 votes here, I’ll be buying a big jug of Rotella Dino juice. Thanks!  Happy Trails!

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #4 - 09/02/22 at 09:24:39

I'm glad you got the humor! Grin . I've been dormant on this site for a few years. But I do know it's been discussed to death over and over again.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 09/02/22 at 11:47:44

Did someone utter those words “OIL WAR” ?
It gets ugly really fast. Oh the Carnage , worse than a civil war !
Consider yourself lucky , dodged a bullet with your name on it.

Only utter one word
ROTELLA

Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 09/02/22 at 11:54:53

Think about it ! We are here to tell you to use junk oil in your Savage just so we can read about you whining about your blown engine.

That’s not why any of us are here !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #7 - 09/02/22 at 11:57:19

ThumperPaul wrote on 09/02/22 at 03:32:24:
Thanks Guys!  The “oil war” comment gave me a good chuckle.  I’m kinda a Valvoline guy.  Everybody has a favorite that is the best!  Lol.  Learning that consumption is rather high, I will be dumbing down to the cheaper conventional.  Since the Shell Rotella got 2 out of 2 votes here, I’ll be buying a big jug of Rotella Dino juice. Thanks!  Happy Trails!

make sure the valvoline you are using has zddp in about 1000ppm and is wet clutch safe.  the reason most of us use shell rotella t4/t6 is it fits both of those requirements and is usually fairly easy to get our hands on.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/02/22 at 12:28:27

Remember, the design of the engine is a holdover from before some of our members were born. There are no hydraulic lifters in there. It's all metal sliding on and smacking into metal. Oils from back then had different vitamins in them. Rotella is also what I ran in the backhoe. A mid eighties diesel. If it wasn't up to the task, the guys who have over 100,000 miles couldn't have gotten that life out of them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/02/22 at 12:41:42

Ruttly wrote on 09/02/22 at 11:47:44:
Did someone utter those words “OIL WAR” ?
It gets ugly really fast. Oh the Carnage , worse than a civil war !
Consider yourself lucky , dodged a bullet with your name on it.

Only utter one word
ROTELLA

War!  Feeling lucky punk!  Lol.  Just to clarify, the Valvoline I’m using is Motorcycle specific and says “ultimate wet clutch protection” right on the front of the jug!  I believe everything I read - especially if I read it on the internet!  Grin

I’ll even buy the ol’ school thinking that zinc and ZDDP are the Holy Grail!

Didn’t want to start an oil war.  Just trying to learn what is “normal” for oil consumption for our bikes.  Generally thirsty from what I can gather…

Hopefully I don’t start a new war about what is “normal”!  Normal to the spider is chaos to the fly!  Now back to your regular programming….

Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 09/02/22 at 12:54:52

Valvoline truck/diesel oil has ZDDP in it.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 09/02/22 at 13:56:58

Oh so you can provide a noa on the oil you use.
Let the fur fly  Grin

What is normal for a healthy engine is , almost no oil loss but when you notice or have to add then it is time for oil n filter. Now all that depends on your engine and how you ride. The sight glass is great , interval idk , change it when you have to add , a lot of variables.
Welcome to SS

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #12 - 09/02/22 at 16:31:51

Thumperpaul, How many miles are on your bike? Just curious , my savage has alittle over 12thou and I can't detect it ever burning any noticeable oil. (That mileage just reminded me that I need to check the cam chain tensioner again!)

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 09/03/22 at 04:45:36

Scottwerty wrote on 09/02/22 at 16:31:51:
Thumperpaul, How many miles are on your bike? Just curious , my savage has alittle over 12thou and I can't detect it ever burning any noticeable oil. (That mileage just reminded me that I need to check the cam chain tensioner again!)  

Hey Scottwerty.  It has about 7,500 miles.  Its a 2004 and I bought it used with about 7200 miles.  I immediately changed the oil to Valvoline motorcycle 10w/40 conventional and filter when I got it.  The old oil was bad.  Down to 1 liter of black smelly mess.  Knowing this, I changed the oil again in about 100 miles (same filter).  I drained out about 200cc less than what I put in (2 quart).  I figured this was normal and some oil just found it way into places that hadn’t seen fresh oil in a while.  I’m not burning oil - no smoke or oil smell.  With this fill, I used Valvoline motorcycle specific 10w/40 full synthetic thinking this oil would be used for a normal interval.  Well, I screwed that up when I flooded the bike while tinkering with the carb and gas got in the crankcase.  I initially didn’t think much of it thinking the gas would evaporate and burn off.  Well it burned off alright!  within not many hours of run testing.  Drained the oil again and it drank 1/2 quart.  I was surprised at the consumption but the oil had been contaminated with gas so I accepted the result.  So, change the oil again to Valvoline 20/50 full synthetic.  Using the eye, I can see I’ve used some oil again but I haven’t drained it to see exactly how much.  So that’s why I was curious what I might expect when I drain again.  I’m probably still experiencing a hangover from gas getting in the crankcase.  Hopefully I haven’t glazed my clutch plates, but on recent rides I am noticing some intermittent clutch slippage at higher rpm’s when I roll on the throttle a bit hard from a modest rpm level.  No real slippage if I easy my way into higher rpm territory.  This may be the next think I need to address if fresh oil doesn’t clean up the situation.

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #14 - 09/03/22 at 06:33:44

Ahhh,  now we're getting to the root of the problem.
      First switch to Rotella T6 synthetic. It has the ZDDP our bikes needs , plus its and is JASO-Ma compliant meaning it's safe to use in our Japanese bikes. Will probably fix your clutch slippage!
       Second problem I'm sensing is you carb. You said "Well, I screwed that up when I flooded the bike while tinkering with the carb and gas got in the crankcase" I would revisit the carb and make sure the float is working properly.
 It's a good time to check the petcock is working properly. The oem one is vacuum controlled and prone to going faulty.  Raptor petcock mod may be in your future.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:24:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil consumption

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.