Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forgot rubber gromet on cam cover. (Read 51 times)
Zekeryan56
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Forgot rubber gromet on cam cover.
08/29/22 at 15:03:55

While returning the cam cover after re torqueing the head bolts and replacing the head seal. I forgot the little rubber gromet that sits in the recessed bolt hole, it does have make a gasket around the entire hole. I'm hoping this has been done before without issue.  Angry

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Forgot rubber gromet on cam cover.
Reply #1 - 08/30/22 at 19:02:58

Is this the "recessed bolt hole" you are talking about?  If so, then you must take the head cover back off and install the plug (rubber grommet).

Head_Plug_Goes_Here.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/30/22 at 19:08:51

That thing is a common problem. There is an after market unit available, but IDK from where. The installation instructions may not agree with the Suzuki maintenance manual. I don't have the answers, I'm just aware that if you just poke it in there and start putting stuff back together you're very likely to have a bothersome oil leak.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 08/30/22 at 19:13:30

Or are you talking about the special o-ring that goes around the oil feed hole?  It goes here.  If you left it out you might get away with it for a while, but I suggest you take it apart and install the special o-ring.  It will probably leak eventually.

Oil_Feed_O-Ring_Special.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Zekeryan56
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/10/22 at 00:02:36

Well I decided I had nothing to lose if I try it. Hopefully it holds up for a season or 2. What exactly does that port do?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/10/22 at 06:49:42

It's an oil transfer port.
not sure exactly why it needs an o-ring, maybe to keep rtv out of the joint?
extra sealing?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/10/22 at 14:42:29

Goin on memory,which in my case means take it with a five pound grain of salt, I'm thinking that machined surface is where the head and cover come together. Since the head and cover are a pair because they put them together and bore the hole for the cam. If, when you put it together, you use too heavy of a dose of the Suzuki Bond sealer it makes the gap between the cam and bearing surfaces loose. The stuff the maintenance manual calls for there is the kind that doesn't actually harden. IDK what happens if RTV is used.
Now I'm going Waay on out on a skinny, dead limb, but the way I'm seeing it that goofy looking oring is keeping the oil pressure from working on that sealer that doesn't quite harden.
Change my mind!!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 21:52:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Forgot rubber gromet on cam cover.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.