Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike loses power and dies. (Read 22 times)
Noble_Savage
YaBB Newbies

I know a thing or
two about a thing or
two.

Fresno, CA
Bike loses power and dies.
08/23/22 at 21:24:24

I've been having this problem for a while. I'll be riding at speed with no problems then I'll lose power for a few seconds then the bike dies. It feels similar to running out of gas, but the tank is full. If i pull over or coast for a few seconds then restart it will run fine for a few mins then it happens again. First time I could tell the battery was struggling so i had it tested and replaced the battery. It was fine for a couple days then happened again. Pulled the tank and carb, checked my lines, cleaned the carb, etc. it ran fine for about a week then happened again today, but i managed to limp home by keeping the enging revved at slow speeds or while stopped. Now i'm thinking it could be the stator/generator. Any thoughts?

2016 S40 15k miles; Emgo reverse cone muffler, removed airbox door, rejet, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bike loses power and dies.
Reply #1 - 08/23/22 at 22:18:58

1st thing to look at is the petcock... try turning it to prime.
2nd is your battery charging?  rev it up to 4000 rpm and you should have near 14v.  If you don't have a voltmeter... get one.

WWW   IP Logged
Noble_Savage
YaBB Newbies

I know a thing or
two about a thing or
two.

Fresno, CA
Reply #2 - 08/24/22 at 07:52:00

I have a raptor petcock and ran it on RES with no improvement. I will try the voltmeter though. Thanks.

2016 S40 15k miles; Emgo reverse cone muffler, removed airbox door, rejet, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 08/24/22 at 08:32:43

Thats a tough one to troubleshoot without seeing it in person.

If you have to keep it alive by keeping the revs up that sounds like its missing on its firing.  If it was starving for gas it would die anyways no matter how high you tried to rev it.

This bike has a single plug, so any electrical gremlins will kill it just like your out of gas.  So I could be related to anything on the run circuit.  Since you said you can initially ride with no problems I tend to think it might be related to the bike heating up, or vibration.

Id check coil wiring, plug wire, control switch wiring.  Change the plug. Verify grounds.  I remember the stupid horn wiring being important for some reason, cant remember why but it supplies important power or is a needed ground or something like that.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 17:21:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike loses power and dies.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.