Iridium Spark Plugs (Read 91 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Iridium Spark Plugs
08/23/22 at 11:05:55

I saw a few comments about Iridium spark plugs, and there are plenty of google hits on the pros/cons.  Does anyone have any actual experience in how they perform in our bike?  I'm not interested in opinions or a rehash of pros/cons.  I'm interested in actual experiences....  Does the bike start better?  Does it affect afterfire or backfire?  Does it improve acceleration or smooth out any timing/hesitation issues?  I could just drink the kool-aid and go for it, but wanted to ask the forum.  Thanks in advance for any real experience.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Iridium Spark Plugs
Reply #1 - 08/23/22 at 13:29:26

Want real experience? By a plug. Careful of OhTooCheap ones on EBay that are fakes. Info out thee on spotting real ones.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/23/22 at 15:15:27

Do you have experience with one on our bike?  I have several NKG plugs in my hands. One of each actually.  Should I install the red plug or the cool red plug?  Hope you can provide some experience. Thanks for the reply by the way. Huh

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/23/22 at 17:30:16

I used several different types of spark plugs in my motocross bikes, iridium included, and I honestly never could tell the difference.   There will be people who claim differently, but they are full of BS.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 08/23/22 at 17:51:43

Maybe not but the iridium will last longer. Denso or Ngk for Japanese bikes.
But as long as it sparks I’m good.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/23/22 at 18:18:18

I have been using an Iridium plug for the last 15,000 miles.

When plugs are new.....they all run the same.  They don't really provide any improvements in performance, backfire, starting etc.  Any of the popular name brand plugs provide the needed spark when they are not worn.  As the plug ages the sharp edges on the electrodes begin to round, and that makes it harder to provide a good strong spark.  Iridium plugs have a precious metal for the electrodes - and it is far more resistant to wearing away than a standard plug.

Since I ride a single cylinder bike and am often far from home - I chose to use an Iridium.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 08/23/22 at 19:53:35

Try this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcVF3xL_fzk
Really gives you an idea of the differences. Interestingly enough, the iridium and copper are near identical ... at least when new. By all measures the iridium will keep the same spark a lot longer.  The E3 was surprising to me. My sons S40 has the E3 (previous owner) and it works great. Only comparison I have is on my Yamaha Stratoliner. It's a 2010 and had the original spark plugs with 12k miles on it. I had a lot of random problems with surging at low rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear. After changing them out 4 times and watching the above video, I decided to try the E3's. Made a world of difference in every good way. Now, that probably had to do with the comparison to very old plugs, but I had problems with new NGK Iridium's and new NGK OEM plugs as well. No way do I think they are miracle plugs, but I was very surprised by the engine feedback after comparing all 4. The sound was much deeper, I had more low rpm power, and it was much cooler according to my right thigh. Wink Gas efficiency also is improved.  It's not some massive jump but if the comparison was on a scale from 1 to 10. The other 3 sets were in the 5-7 range. The E3's felt like they were in the 8-10 range.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/24/22 at 04:42:36

Thanks guys!  I also used an NKG iridium plug on a small dirt bike and can’t say it made a major difference compared to a copper plug.  But it was a 125cc and any minor change at this size engine isn’t going to reveal much.  The info on the E3 is interesting.  Thanks Smith.  I may end up there.  For now, I’m going to try the NKG that I already bought.  I should get some improvement just by being new.  After tuning and experimenting with the carb, I’m pretty sure I fouled up my current plug.  I’ll let you guys know what happens.  I should get to the job this weekend.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/24/22 at 07:34:52

Smith2 - you really got me thinking about the E3.  The test and results on the generator video comparison are pretty compelling.  Excellent real experience that I was looking for.  Thinking about our bikes and your actual experience, I'm thinking our bikes with the Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber (TSCC) may be a good marriage with the E3 design.  So, I'm going to stash my NKG Iridium away and go buy an E3 and give that a shot.

FYI - for our bikes, we need an E3.36 plug.

Hopefully I can give an update early next week.

IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 08/24/22 at 10:29:56

ThumperPaul wrote on 08/24/22 at 07:34:52:
Smith2 - you really got me thinking about the E3.  The test and results on the generator video comparison are pretty compelling.  Excellent real experience that I was looking for.  Thinking about our bikes and your actual experience, I'm thinking our bikes with the Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber (TSCC) may be a good marriage with the E3 design.  So, I'm going to stash my NKG Iridium away and go buy an E3 and give that a shot.

If you get an E3, it takes a 5/8 socket. Wink

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 08/24/22 at 10:52:52

Smith2 wrote on 08/24/22 at 10:29:56:
ThumperPaul wrote on 08/24/22 at 07:34:52:

If you get an E3, it takes a 5/8 socket. Wink

Got it and an 18mm to pull the current one.  Thanks!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 09/02/22 at 08:21:30

Installed the E3 and I’m really happy with it.  The bike definitely starts easier and retardation virtually gone.  My old original NKG plug wasn’t bad, but it showed signs of a lean condition for an extended period and also signs of recent richness from having flooded the engine and fiddling with the air/fuel mix after rejecting.  I would recommend the E3 spark plug for the bike. It’s only about $6 - a couple bucks more than a standard NKG plug and about $5 less than the NKG Iridium.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:22:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Iridium Spark Plugs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.