WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: 5th Gear ?
Reply #16 - 08/20/22 at 12:18:30

Thanks Justin.  You are right about the ratios.  1st to 2nd is a wider gap and 4th to 5th is very narrow.  With the bike running better now, I was able to distinguish that I was actually hitting 5th.  Maybe I need to learn how to count better.  lol

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 08/20/22 at 12:19:58

Verslagen - Yes, I have a stutter step.  LOL.  Thanks for all your help, time, and patience with me.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 08/20/22 at 12:37:19

ThumperPaul wrote on 08/20/22 at 04:48:36:
True. Thanks.  Also, I found 5th gear.  I must have been skipping through a gear up or down somewhere getting to and from 5th.  I’m going for a ride today and will pay attention to my shifting.  I think I’m skipping through 4th.  Take care.

Yeah I’m always looking for 6th gear on mine !  Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 08/20/22 at 12:43:49

Welcome to SS

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 08/20/22 at 13:04:34

Thanks Ruttly!  Yup, my previous bike was 6 gear with a very narrow shift band.  I’m older so I’m not doing a lot of highway cruising these days.  I may only use 5th on the Savage occasionally, but I want to get the bike right and have 5th if I need it.

IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #21 - 09/11/22 at 15:56:15

My '02 had some wonkiness with the shifting, worse than the usual description of iffy downshifting. The PO was a little 20-something girl, and the shift lever itself was nearly impossible to get my size 12 under for upshifting, since I can't point my toes like a ballerina, especially wearing boots.. I went to adjust it and realized that the shifter rod had been bent and the shaft end of the linkage had been moved around a couple of notches towards the front. The PO finally admitted her boyfriend, who, "has a bike, too" had moved the shifter lever down so she wouldn't hit it with her foot accidentally. You could see where the shifter rod had been basically bent with something. Anyway, I straightened the connecting rod, moved the shaft arm back to the mark. (The little arm should be vertical,or nearly so, btw.) and adjusted it to a comfortable height. That solved the shifting problems. (It does need some occasional coaxing to get into 1st, but rocking it a bit with light pressure on the shifter does it.)  It makes sense--- the best "throw" on the shifter shaft is going to be with the shifter arm and rod at 90 degrees. That gives you equal movement shifting up or down. if you move it one tooth forward, that would give you a longer movement back (upshifting) but it shortens the movement when downshifting. Some problems are "Previous Owner Source" Maintenance, POS for short...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 09/12/22 at 04:39:47

Good info.  Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 09/12/22 at 09:44:07

Needles,if your shift rod has been bent, I think you should get a new one. If it's flexing on downshifts it's liable to screw you over one day.
If I bought a Savage with a battery that I didn't Know was reasonably fresh and had not been abused, like leaving the key on and sucking it real low a time or two, I'm putting a new one in, because they Know how far from home you are and that it's gonna start raining about five minutes after you get home.. BwaHaHaHaaa! Nope, just a click for you, Buddy!
The shift rod can strand you and faking that in a parking lot isn't easy.
I remember someone had one that was flaky and he got it on the bench and brazed a heavy wire to it. Maybe one of our engineers will tell you how much concern you should have. I'm quite possibly more concerned about it than is reasonable. Maybe a little flex is no biggie.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #24 - 09/12/22 at 16:25:02

Oh, I ordered another one! I just thought it was a Neanderthal solution to getting the shifter lower, and the shifter arm being moved was definitely affecting the downshifting. Also, the bent part of the shifter rod was hitting on the part of the frame that runs under the rod when you'd try to shift. Mine is 20 years old. There are people who will do just enough to sell a bike, sort of like the old trick of pouring babit metal around a knocking rod bearing in old cars...

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #25 - 09/13/22 at 04:31:01

Yeah, it’s always a bit of a gamble buying an older used bike.  My 5th gear issue turned out to be  a rider issue and not being familiar with the bike.  I was hitting 5th gear and just not realizing it.  There isn’t a huge change in RPM or engine sound.  Since I was still learning the bike and not blasting every gear to a high shift point, I wasn’t noticing the drop in RPM hitting 5th at 45-50mph.  Now that I’ve gone through the bike and feel more comfortable with its soundness/safety, I’m pushing higher speeds and shift points.  It’s much more obvious going into 5th at 60-65mph than at 45-50mph.

IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #26 - 09/13/22 at 06:48:53

You can usually tell you're in top gear, whether it's 5th or 4th, or even 6th, by lifting the shifter like you're trying to upshift. If you're already in top gear, it'll have almost no resistance, and definitely won't "click". Even my Moto Guzzi feels like that, and I'm pretty sure the gearbox was designed in the 1950s.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 09/14/22 at 08:44:42

The guy was questioning whether or not it was going up a gear from fourth since the rpm change is so small. The shifter not changing gears because it is already in fifth didn't help him with that. I'm saddened often by lifting the shifter again and realizing the box has no more gears to offer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 17:22:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 5th Gear ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.