Send Topic Print
Factory S40 muffler (Read 67 times)
Marco12356
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Factory S40 muffler
08/15/22 at 16:15:51

Has anyone cut up a factory S40/Savage Muffler to see what it is really like inside .
If I could find a used one super cheap I would chop it up for sure .
How do they create so much back pressure is it all just baffling material

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Factory S40 muffler
Reply #1 - 08/15/22 at 18:11:58

use my tech section index below and look up the hartman mod

also dragbikemike has many improvements to show you.

WWW   IP Logged
Marco12356
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/15/22 at 19:20:32

I saw the pictures and basically the Suzuki exhaust is an empty can where air barely passes through and no baffling material that's unreal Shocked I was expecting the muffler to be full of baffling fiberglass

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 08/17/22 at 03:04:31

In the world of mufflers, fiberglass is not "baffling".  Baffles reduce noise by forcing the hot gasses to change direction.  The directional changes scrubb off acoustic energy.

Fiberglass and ceramic wool are used to absorb energy.  Those products are used to surround a perforated tube.  The hot gasses flow through the center of the tube, not through the wool packing.

You are correct about the stock muffler.  There is no wool packing used in the stock muffler.  The stock muffler relies on directional changes and restrictive tubes to reduce noise.  It's real good at scrubbing off noise, but real bad a allowing the hot gas to flow freely.

It's a complicated contraption.  You can improve flow dramatically and still maintain a quiet exhaust system, but it requires a good understanding of the flow path and the various components and chambers within the muffler.  I think this post will give you a very good idea of what you are wrestling with.  You can make some decent power with the stock muffler, and you don't have to make a lot of noise in the bargain.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1526453881

Hope this is helpful.  Let us know what you come up with and how it works.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Marco12356
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/17/22 at 09:29:45

I am amazed how the muffler actually works it was not what I was thinking , and how much back pressure is produced in the muffler .
I don't understand how the Dyna Mufflers work because it's not the same flow that the Suzuki .
It's strange how Suzuki would not adapt that style of Harley muffler on their bike instead of that can which we all know doesn't sound very good .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/17/22 at 10:42:34

The stock muffler sometimes sounds like an old VW. If you've ever heard a VW whistle, you know what I mean.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Factory S40 muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.