Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Bike won't turn over and clutch does not work. (Read 216 times)
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bike won't turn over and clutch does not work.
Reply #30 - 08/22/22 at 08:56:51

Kirurgi don't get too caught up in the lack of spark until you get the clutch figured out! If the clutch is not engaging as you state, the bike should NOT start.

Fix the clutch issue (DragBikeMike is a GOD, your posts are soo helpful!) and then you may find the bike will spark. But I would absolutely not go ripping out the wiring until you know it's not caused by the faulty clutch.

Don't want to create a problem that really isn't there in the first place.

IP Logged
Kirurgi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 08/23/22 at 02:17:48

Checked those 2 washers. They were in places you told and 2mm thick. 44mm OD in the bottom against ballbearings and 40mm OD bottom oh bascket.
Here is pic of the hub.

20220823_115936.jpg
  IP Logged
Kirurgi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 08/23/22 at 02:18:15

Other side.

20220823_115943.jpg
  IP Logged
Kirurgi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 08/23/22 at 02:20:38

Basket.

20220823_103033.jpg
  IP Logged
Kirurgi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/23/22 at 02:21:46

And saft.

20220823_103221.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 08/23/22 at 16:11:22

Thanks for the pics Kirurgi.

So, the part of the hub boss that I'm most curious about is its height.  It should be 11.3mm.

Hub_Boss_Hgt_11_3mm.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 08/23/22 at 16:16:34

When things are right, your hub flange should be even with the tangs on the basket.  Yours is not flush.  It looks to be about 1mm too far in.  The height of the hub boss, along with the input shaft spacers and the two washers sets the position of the hub flange.

I can see from your picture that the face of your hub boss has some scoring.  There should be no relative motion between the face on the hub boss and the washer, so there should be no scoring.

Hub_Boss_Scoring_Evident.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 08/23/22 at 16:18:08

The scoring doesn't look bad at all, and I doubt that it's the scource of your problem, but you should still measure the height of the hub boss to verify that it's 11.3mm.

When the hub makes up to the washer, input shaft spacer, and inner washer, it sets up the journal for the clutch basket bronze bushing, and also sets up the clutch basket thrust clearance.  See how the clutch basket will be nested between the two washers.  Note how the spacer serves as a nice journal for the bronze bushing.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 08/23/22 at 16:26:36

OK, somehow I got this system hung up.  Computers :'(

Let's see if it will take the picture in this reply.  See how the washers and spacer nest the clutch basket?

Spacer_Journal_and_Thrust_Wshrs_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 08/23/22 at 16:30:41

When the hub is installed, the hub washers, and spacer all get pinched together.  Since the hub is splined to the input shaft, the hub, washers, spacer and input shaft all turn together.  There should be no relative motion between the hub boss and the adjacent washer.

See, all sandwiched together.

Basket_Journal_and_Thrust_Washers.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #40 - 08/23/22 at 16:39:39

The basket must turn independent of the hub.  The basket must turn freely on the input shaft spacer (journal), and not be pinched between the washers.  If you install the input shaft washers, spacer, clutch basket and clutch hub and nut, but leave the clutch plates and pressure disk out, you can verify that the basket turns free.  

Put it together without the clutch plates and pressure disk.  Tighten the nut and verify that your clutch basket turns free.  If your primary drive gear is still on the crankshaft, just make sure that the hub and transmission input shaft will turn free while the basket is stationary.  It's the same thing.

Like this.  If you set up a dial indicator to read on the basket in the location circled in green, you can verify basket thrust clearance.

Checking_Basket_Running_Clearance.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 08/23/22 at 16:43:05

I checked my spare engine and I got .008" to .010".  It's pretty loose.  You do not want the basket pinched between the washers.  It must be free to rotate and move in & out a bit.

Basket_Thrust__008_to__010.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 08/23/22 at 16:49:11

Your hub sitting farther in than normal should be addressed.   The plates, pressure disk, and release plate are all gonna follow that hub.  Having it sit 1mm farther in than normal may drive you nuts when you try to get the release mechanism set up correctly.

As you can see, the fiber & steel plates have absolutely no influence on the position of the hub.  The position of the bub is controlled by the hub boss, the input shaft spacer, and the thrust washers.

Also note that there is visual evidence of possible rubbing between the oil pump drive gear and the case.  It's easy to get the drive gear on backwards.  You might wanna check that.  There's also a drive pin that's super easy to lose.  If you put the gear on backwards the pin falls out and can get lost in the crankcase.

Possible rubbing around the case.

Possible_Rubbing.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 08/23/22 at 17:08:54

The picture you provided indicates your pump drive gear is on correctly.  You might wanna verify that the drive pin is in place and properly captured by the gear.

This shows the drive gear installed backwards.  The pin (circled in green)  is no longer captured by the gear.  The pin will fall out and voila, no more oil pressure.  Good chance it could run through the gear mesh too.  Double whammy bad.

Pmp_Drive_Gear_Wrong.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Kirurgi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 08/25/22 at 12:37:54

I measured the hub boss and got 11+mm (don't have precise caliper). Just lightly above 11mm.
Need to get my new pressure disc so I can get back to this.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:20:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't turn over and clutch does not work.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.