Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ignition advance curve and pickup position (Read 25 times)
Svante
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ignition advance curve and pickup position
08/08/22 at 05:34:13

Hello Savage forum

This is my first post here.
I have an newly bought 650 bobber MY1998. I bought it not working, according to the seller it needed an carburetor cleaning, but of course it was more issues.
After cleaning the carburetor (ultrasound cleaning), still running rough, and black smoking exhaust on idle. And high load misfiring, I boght an carb kit, from Murrays carbs in the US (Anyway don’t like CV carburetor, so that was in the plans anyway), no improvement. Then I checked cam setting, and the cam was one tooth early timed (no valve hitting what I can se), but the tensioner was broken, so I purchased a new one, and did the extra hole trick, now its 2-3 klicks out, so it will work for some considerable time. Hover the bike still runs bad. I believe its constantly running on start-delay ignition (haven’t checked, but its acts like that). Therefor I purchased an aftermarket ignition control unit on E-bay from Italy, 200 euros (haven’t arrived yet), I presume its an aftermarket, since the real thing from more officially sides is 500 euros.
After I had ordered that box, I found this generic French TCI box, only 80 euros
(not allowed to ad link yet, seek TCI from Transmic.fr)

In order to use that (if the E-bay unit doesn’t work fine, ordered one of this type also), some information Is needed:
Trigger coil position VS TDC, I read somewhere 36 deg BTDC, is that correct?
(I can of course measure this physically, but I presume someone already knows)

Spark timing (>500 rpm), I read somewhere around 15 deg at 1000 -2000 rpm, and climbing to 32 deg at 4000 rpm, has someone measured this and can confirm?

Br Svante Lejon Sweden

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ignition advance curve and pickup position
Reply #1 - 08/08/22 at 07:19:15

the FSM states in the general spec section 5°BTDC below 2000 rpm and 30°BTDC below 4000 rpm

WWW   IP Logged
Svante
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Ignition advance curve and pickup position
Reply #2 - 08/09/22 at 08:03:32

Hi
Thanks for the info, +5 deg seems very timid spark for 2000 rpm, even if its air cooled and 4 valves, i will likely try some more advanced timing if I go that way,
Someone knows the pickup clocking position?

Br SVante

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:46:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition advance curve and pickup position

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.