Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VM36 leaking? (Read 37 times)
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

VM36 leaking?
08/04/22 at 07:50:50

So I have a new VM36 carb I installed. Works great, smooth power, great throttle response, 51+ mpg.
One problem. If I don't turn the raptor petcock off when not riding, I get moisture in the left side vent tube and the overflow tube. It's not a dribble or puddle, but it seems more than necessary. Another thread mentioned the needle leaking. Is there a way to check or fix this issue?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: VM36 leaking?
Reply #1 - 08/04/22 at 10:16:05

Does the moisture stop if you close the petcock ?

Stock or Raptor petcock ?

IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 08/04/22 at 10:23:12

It does seem to be that way. The left vent hose is what concerns me a little. It's just a little moisture (fuel) at the tip. If I wipe it away, it slowly builds back up. It doesn't drip but is always there. The drain line, will leave a small wet spot, about a quarter size if I leave the petcock open.

If it's just a normal matter of closing the petcock when not in use, no problem. If this indicates something leaking, Id prefer to fixit.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 08/04/22 at 20:01:43

That slight accumulation on the vent hose is a non-problem.  There is fuel in the float bowl.  The fuel evaporates as the motorcycle sits.  The evaporation is more pronounced when you first shut the bike down because the carb gets hot as heat transfers from the engine.  The fuel percolates in the float bowl.  The vapors condense in the vent hose.

Similar issue with the overflow.  Shut it down, fuel percolates in the float bowl, vapors and liquid find their way into the overflow, and just a tiny bit runs down the overflow.  Situation normal.

Guys runnin the stock carb won't see this bit of liquid because they don't have an overflow and the vent hoses are black.

ALWAYS shut your petcock off when the engine isn't running.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 08/04/22 at 23:03:52

I lengthened all 3 hoses , bowl vent & 2 side vents , they vent behind engine out of sight. , used a small black automotive vacuum hose. If it forms a drop it ain’t drippin on my engine or exhaust.  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:47:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › VM36 leaking?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.