Oil consumption (Read 267 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oil consumption
Reply #15 - 07/23/22 at 08:42:37

I had one of those filters. If you look up
Tuned intake it'll help.  I modified the box to increase the volume of air between the
filter and carburetor. The general idea I got out of it was that the volume between filter and carburetor needs to be equal or greater than the volume of the cylinder. I had the box in my hands so that I could get the dremel in and seeing the innards let me cut out a bit of plastic wall
IDK how they built it. It ran well but I don't know what changes I made that helped me because I didn't test,reassemble, test,disassemble,make a change, test reassemble
Etcetera Etcetera, Etcetera...
It's good to keep your old stock filter, so you have one to use while the K&N dries.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/23/22 at 13:39:08

Mike,
You mentioned checking the air box drain tube to see how much oil had collected in the tube.  NONE; some P.O. must have taken the plug out and either lost it or just didn't replace it!  It was just venting to atmosphere. I put a plug in the drin hose and will run it for a while and then check it to see if any oil's collecting in the drain tube.  Carry on!!  wiguzzimanDragBikeMike wrote on 07/22/22 at 15:02:14:
And I thought mine was using oil.  I have been adding 6 to 8 ounces every 1100 to 1500 miles.  Yours seems to be using waaaaaay more oil than mine.

If you are running the stock air box and a paper filter element, the oil consumption will increase if the filter is dirty.  A dirty filter reduces the air pressure in the void between the filter and carburetor and tends to suck the oil through the crankcase vent.  Check your airbox drain.  How much oil comes out when you remove the plug?

You mentioned "PCV" valve.  I don't think a PCV valve would work too good on a Savage.  A PCV is intended to tie the crankcase directly to the intake manifold.  It's a controlled method to constantly pull fresh air into the crankcase and evacuate the crankcase vapors into the intake to be consumed in the combustion chamber.  I think it would be hard to set one up on a single cylinder engine.

This post installed a Hayden KrankVent.  It's a similar concept but retains the circulation system originally intended for the Savage (i.e. return vapors upstream of the carb).  It's working good for me and as I previously mentioned it's been consuming about 6 to 8 ounces every 1100 to 1500 miles.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1655271553/0

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 07/23/22 at 16:29:13

Without the plug in the airbox drain you have been pulling the worst kind of crud directly into your engine.  All the trash, grit, sand, dirt, pebbles, water, etc. directly off your rear wheel. That probably didn't do much good.

The significance of checking how much oil accumulates relates to diagnosis of your problem.  If you don't accumulate oil in the airbox, then it is most likely not an engine breather issue.  The oil only has three ways to exit the engine: leakage, breather system, consumption.

Leakage will be obvious.  Puddles under the bike, goo all over the engine, etc.

Breather system should manifest in large amounts of oil accumulating in the bottom of the airbox.

Consumption is a bit harder to nail down.  It either leaks down the valve stems/guides, or gets pulled past the rings.  

I would run it with the plug installed for a good long time.  Start with the oil level normal.  When you have to add oil check your air box drain.   That way you know how much you used and can compare that to how much has accumulated in the airbox.

As far as checking oil level goes, I always use a small level across my starter to get the bike exactly level.  I also always check it when the bike is upright on my poor man's stand (an elaborate system of 2x4s).

Checking_Oil_Level_Leveling.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 07/23/22 at 17:50:05

DBM, I like that level on the starter , I think a tiny bubble level stuck there or elsewhere could make a handy permanent light weight addition , Amazon will have one

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 07/23/22 at 18:29:20

Yeah found some cool stick on & magnetic bubble levels on amazon. An interesting addition to the bike. Glance at the level & glance at oil level sight glass , super simple , Tanx

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 07/24/22 at 09:38:49

I put a bubble level on the transmission on the backhoe since no level place exists to check fluids. They don't last all that long, but it's worth the scrape it off,slap a new one on cost. Not sure what it is that kills them, heat or vibration or a combination, but the bubble got bigger and bigger until I just couldn't use it.
But I did buy cheap ones,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #21 - 07/24/22 at 14:32:00

Mine are a pack of 4 and I have some 3M 2 way tape ta stick it on. It’s more to make people think , Why ? A Tiltometer for those afraid to lean  ,  Lmmfao

Yup that’s it a Tiltometer     Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 07/24/22 at 18:35:04

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/23/22 at 16:29:13:
As far as checking oil level goes, I always use a small level across my starter to get the bike exactly level.  I also always check it when the bike is upright on my poor man's stand (an elaborate system of 2x4s).

Your level of precision always amazes me.   Cool

But compare that to putting a stack of wood under the kickstand 1" less than vertical.
Or the amount of wood (brick, whatever) that's relatively stable.
The difference in oil level really isn't that much compared to risk of pulling the bike down on top of you.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 07/25/22 at 02:24:10

I agree Versy, you don't want to tip the bike over.  I never have liked putting a block of wood under the kickstand.  That's why I always park my jalopy on this simple stand constructed from scrap lumber.  The tie downs permit accurate leveling of the bike. It works good, is safe, and was essentially free.  Makes my life a whole bunch easier.

Simple_Stand_uses_Tie_Downs.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 07/25/22 at 10:09:07

I'd like a side view of that. It's exacting, and totally safe. The bike is not coming down.
I know it's not A lot, but I carried a Coupla two stroke oil containers in the fanny pack I had strapped onto the handle bars. If I was out, running it at fifty and up for extended periods, enough to make a gas stop, check the oil was part of a pit stop.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 07/26/22 at 15:54:45

It's a very simple stand.  You just roll the bike on and fasten it with standard motorcycle tie down straps.  I love the thing.

Stand_Side_View_Tie_Straps.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 07/26/22 at 15:56:49

An old chunk of 2 x 6 with a few chunks of 2 x 4.  A couple of old hurricane ties.  A few screws and a little wood glue.  Two eye bolts.  Ready to rock-n-roll.

Stand_Simple_Tie_Down.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 07/26/22 at 15:58:45

To make it a bit more luxurious I stacked a few sheets of old rubber material onto the bottom, but used it for many years with just bare wood.

Stand_Bottom_View.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 07/26/22 at 16:01:59

Best to glue the joints and use plenty of wood screws to keep things tight.  Over time, it tends to loosen up.

Stand_Glue_Joint.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 07/26/22 at 16:06:55

It's not like I'm anal retentive over the oil level.  Typically, I just want to know that it's in the bullseye.  In the past, I never had to add oil.  But recently, it started to use a bit.  That's when I got serious with the level checks.  I wanted to know how much it was using.  Only way to do that is make sure it's in the exact same orientation each time you add oil.  Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 10:43:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil consumption

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.