Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nervous newbie, afraid I bought wrong bike (Read 252 times)
BobaSmurfett
YaBB Newbies

Just trying to be
the person my dogs
think I am.

Northern Virginia
Nervous newbie, afraid I bought wrong bike
07/17/22 at 00:25:30

Heads up: there’s probably an incoming wall of text so TL;DR: I researched and bought a used 2011 S40 as a non-running project to work on while I learned how to ride and fell in love with her. Day 1 of MSF, I dropped a bike that weighs less and has 1/4 of the engine CC on my knee and I’m wondering if I have too much bike.

Back story: my husband owns a Victory Octane and I enjoy riding on the back of his bike, but I wanted to ride with him on my own. I haven’t even ridden a bicycle in ten years and I am a naturally SUPER CAUTIOUS person and never do anything particularly risky, and this was my first even somewhat dangerous activity in YEARS - so I did a bunch of research and lucked in to an awesome deal on a 2011 S40. The owner had passed and the bike sat for a little while so she didn’t want to start and they just didn’t have the time/passion to do the maintenance. I have a classic car that I do a little work on so I felt fairly confident in my ability to get her running. I went to see her, fell in love with her, and have spent the past couple months fixing her up. Her name is Gnatcatcher because she makes me think of these tiny grumpy birds with the best angry faces. Do yourself a favor and look at a picture of one.

I changed the battery, oil, brakes, brake fluid, and rejetted the carb. I am swapping the exhaust next and eventually changing the seat to a single seat I’m currently trying to reupholster. I got her *running* and was SO PUMPED because apart from the little bit of power walking I’d done, she’d only been taken out by my husband, and I finished the last bit of mechanical work just in time for my MSF course.

Day 1 of class rolls around and it is raining ALL DAY, and towards the end of my day on a Kymco Spade my brain just pooped itself. I’m talking full blown panic switch. I’d been struggling to relax all day and it’s like it got overloaded. I finished the maneuver, was headed back to the start, and despite me not looking through a single dang turn all day I decided to focus on the teacher when my brain short circuited. In an effort to not run him over when I decided to yank the brake instead of clutch, I bailed and the bike came down on the side of my knee. I got up, did the next maneuver, didn’t miss a single question on the written exam, and limped my way through the rest of the day.

The next morning comes around and I can’t hold any weight on the leg, so obviously I didn’t go to day two of the MSF. I’m taking it as a blessing and have spent the last week in my brace and crutches reading and learning and fully intend to go sit on my bike and repeatedly clutch and brake until the cows come home. I’ve got a bicycle I plan on practicing some of the maneuvers and turning with until I’m confident to get on the bike again.

So now that you’ve read that whole nervous novel, here’s the problem: I am 110% certain that my main problem that day was anxiety. I was wet, tired, and I think I just got overwhelmed. However, the bike I rode was a Kymco Spade which weighs 100lbs less and has 1/4 of the engine. I had no problems getting the bike going or stopping, but now I’m admittedly slightly nervous that my bike is going to be shockingly different.

Basically I need someone to tell me that my day 1 of being on a motorcycle wasn’t an omen and this bike is not impossible to learn on.

41C7DEA6-31F2-40F2-8980-8737B914EFFC.jpeg
  IP Logged
BobaSmurfett
YaBB Newbies

Just trying to be
the person my dogs
think I am.

Northern Virginia
Re: I’m now a nervous newbie and need reassurance.
Reply #1 - 07/17/22 at 00:27:34

Also, here is a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. They are as ridiculous as they appear and fight mid air and get lost a lot.

It just fits.

91573D7C-B81A-44E8-9740-395EAE1C7D5A.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Nervous newbie, afraid I bought wrong bike
Reply #2 - 07/17/22 at 04:07:57

I have been riding motorcycles for more than 50 years, and before that my buddies and I rode our bicycles constantly - two wheels just feels natural to me........it isn't that way for everyone.

Getting comfortable on two wheels is difficult for some - especially if you put it off until later in life.  Learning is just a bit slower once you pass puberty!

I would suggest you keep the Savage - but do some things to get comfortable on two wheels.  Start riding a bicycle daily and get some balance and coordination practice.  Practice turns, slaloms, braking and anything that you can do to improve your balance and coordination.  (I switch the front brake over to the right side on my bicycles so they match the motorcycle).

Take the Motorcycle Safety Course again and ride/drop/crash their bikes before you start doing crazy stuff on your Savage.  Every new rider drops a bike.....it is part of the learning.  I learned to ride off road and the dirt is very forgiving.....it is much softer than pavement.  Maybe you should get a small dirt bike and go riding off road for a little while.......you will learn a lot about riding off road that will help you ride on the street.  Loose dirt, wet leaves, mud and rocks are all obstacles that are waiting to teach you a lesson!

I have never considered the Savage to be a good "first" bike.  It has a lot of torque and can easily get away from a new rider who doesn't have throttle control mastered.  Maybe you can find a little Honda Rebel, Honda CB100/125, Suzuki TU250 or similar small motorcycle to ride for a little bit while you learn.

What you really need is time in the saddle and practice - developing the coordination and skills takes time.  Riding a motorcycle is very rewarding - but it is a bit challenging and there is always some patch of gravel or sand in the roadway waiting to catch you napping.  I have always been grateful I learned to ride young and off road where a fall was not too serious.......I have dropped a dirt bike hundreds of times while learning to ride!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/17/22 at 08:40:06

https://motocrosshideout.com/start-on-dirt-bike-before-motorcycle/

You said you have not even been on a bicycle for a long time. I'm not saying you will fall, but if falling is terrifying to you, then when you get in a spot where falling is clearly something that just might be In your immediate future, then it would be really easy for you to get wrapped up in the fear of falling and totally fail to think your way through the moment so you don't. Knowing how to fall matters. Trust me,, if I know anything about riding, it's how to end a ride with a bang.

Written for the racers,. And what works at high speeds works well at low speed. I don't know anyone who read it that didn't agree that it helped them be safer,

https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Motorcycle-Roadracers-Handbook/dp/0965045013

[url]. Twist-Wrist-Motorcycle-Roadracers-Handbook/dp/0965045013      [/url]
Hell,I'm having trouble, search
Twist of the Wrist

The one thing that bites new riders really hard is called Target Fixation.
Say you're coming through a nice long sweeping turn and see a good sized rock right on the line you're taking. You seriously don't want to hit the rock and it slide or roll and upset your bike and make you crash. And the rock has your attention and complete focus. No,, you have to Force your eyes to a new line and ride it. That is why it's a bad idea to take a run at a corner, trying to make a Personal Best time through it if you haven't just ridden through it. And I can't speak for everyone, but I have been known to spend time just playing on a stretch of road that is just FUN.

One thing you'll get from either a bicycle or dirt bike is muscle memory training. When you are in a turn and discover the traction just isn't what you expected and Need, you'll learn to move your butt and use the inside of a thigh to stand the bike up some when it's trying to slide down.

Learn how to Be Seen. Oh,read the
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_Report

Being first in a long line of traffic might not sound like a bad idea, but the impatient driver wanting to turn left is seeing the Cars he's going to have to wait on. You don't even register on his retinas. Swinging back and forth in your lane,speeding up, flipping lights high and low, Hell, wave at them, but get seen.
Last in a long line
He's fuming,Finally the last CAR,aand he guns it,aand you climb a fender..
I didn't climb the fender, I got off the bike and went into the passenger door.
Riding is GREAT. The smell of wildflowers, the sense of connectedness with the world, it's very peaceful and freeing. But it's a time to stay sharp ,focused. How people ride and listen to music I don't understand.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/17/22 at 20:49:51

"Basically I need someone to tell me that my day 1 of being on a motorcycle wasn’t an omen and this bike is not impossible to learn on."

This bike is not impossible to learn on and there are no such things as omens.

It's ok to make mistakes when you learn literally anything in the world, and is almost 100% likely to happen.  What you have experienced is completely normal.

Over 99% of humans that ride a motorcycle will make a mistake that ends up with them falling.  The other 1% are lying.

Do what makes you comfortable, learn at your own pace.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 07/18/22 at 00:00:52

Basically you summed it up in your description, the weathers is wet, you are tired and inexperienced. It's probably tougher to start learning in the rain and by your own admission, your brain was fried. It may have been better to have stopped the bike and just let the instructor come back and told him/her you were worn out and had had enough.
I wouldn't give up because of one bad experience, infact there are those who would say "the sooner you are back on a bike the better", as the bad experience can be put behind you before it becomes too fixed in your brain.
Might pay to check the age of the tyres on your S40 and replace them if they are more than five years old, remember you will have to scuff them in. Also remember that an S40 rear brake can be prone to lock up if used hard, just be aware and don't let this put you off, they are a good little bike.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/18/22 at 00:04:13

Do what makes you comfortable, learn at your own pace.

I'm gonna disagree.

Don't do what makes you Uncomfortable
And nobody learns anything at someone else's pace.

First, the word ignorant needs to be understood.
If someone has no idea that statistics show that people who rode dirt bikes before they rode on asphalt were less likely to slide down in a corner would not be likely to seek out and experience riding in a compromised traction environment to acclimate themselves with the sensation that a sideways slipping rear tire feels like in a low speed and softer environment with no Cars on it. Because they are ignorant of the possibilities their understanding of what the learning environment they will be working in is limited to asphalt. If you're unable to avail yourself of the opportunity to experience a compromised traction situation in a turn on dirt,with a small, light, designed For riding in the dirt,then your options are limited. Not the end of the world, but you will experience a rear tire slipping sideways in a turn one day. If you're ignorant of what that moment feels like and your body has not experienced that sensation, the odds of not having the reflexive input from your body to stabilize the bike and not slide down are Not in your favor. The book and the Hurt report? You definitely should read both. Knowing that you are more likely to get a driver to left across your path if you are first or last in a long line of traffic is important. Knowing that You are responsible for your safety is crucial. There is no telling how many very confident people studied the mechanics of how an airplane works and decided they could fly one. They were comfortable with their decision and flew the plane from liftoff to the crash scene.
Take the lessons, but that is just enough to get you out in traffic. Read Twist of the Wrist. You will understand so much more about how to decide where to start your turns and how to be safe. The fact that you are having second thoughts is good. You are not being cocky. You have seen others ride and believe you can, too. And I'm sure you can. I'm not trying to make you not try. I'm just telling you some of what I did not know about and, having learned the hard way, I'm trying to help you get out and enjoy the freedom of a bike in the most prepared manner possible. How you dress to ride matters,too. If you're wanting to wear your cutest shoes with those sequined super tight pants, I'd hope you rethink the whole thing. Best of luck to you. I hope you have someone who has been riding for years. And the Suzuki is a really good bike for a first street bike. It's not heavy, it's low to the ground, it doesn't have Gotcha horsepower, it's been on the market for years,because they are a good little bike.
Don't be afraid to learn, you have to have some spirit of adventure or you wouldn't be here. Go live it. It's unlike anything else.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 07/18/22 at 17:41:34

The Kymco would be a way better bike to learn on.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 07/19/22 at 08:07:16

The Kymco would be a way better bike to learn on.

May be the MSC folks have a used one they would sell ya for a year ?   Huh

The Suzuki S-40 will run alongside any group of bikes you want to ride with.
That includes everything from the Big Harleys and Goldwings to the little 125cc street scooters .

You have picked a truly "GREAT BIKE" in getting your Gnatcatcher !  Smiley

Hay BobaSmurfett , make it through your first year (5k-miles) and you'll be smiling from now on.   There is really a good reason "You'll never see a MOTORCYCLE parked outside a PSYCHIATRIAST'S office !   Wink

I hope your hubby know how lucky he is to have a wife who can ride her own bike !   Cool

2017_Savage_007.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/19/22 at 08:18:57

Just a minor point
You'll never see a MOTORCYCLE parked outside a PSYCHIATRIAST'S office !   Wink

Unless the shrink owns it.

It's really a great experience, being out IN the world with pretty much nothing between You and it. It's meditative when you put it on a nice ,nearly empty, country road or you can get yourself fully engaged with your head on a swivel working through dangerous city traffic. The difference between being a passenger and being the operator? I can't begin to describe that.
The paint scheme you wound up with is one of my favorite Savage styles.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/19/22 at 10:57:47

I thought this was a cool picture so I'm sharing.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 07/20/22 at 03:18:32

One small point, if your S40 tyres are IRC brand seriously consider swapping out at least the rear and preferably both for another brand. These IRC tyres don't like wet blacktop or tar snakes.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/20/22 at 05:37:26

jcstokes wrote on 07/20/22 at 03:18:32:
One small point, if your S40 tyres are IRC brand seriously consider swapping out at least the rear and preferably both for another brand. These IRC tyres don't like wet blacktop or tar snakes.

I completely forgot that. He is exactly right on that. It's downright treacherous. I rode mine past the
You need a new tire
marks,because it was so ready to lowside the bike. Gave me a few good scares,which I used to hopefully make me a better rider.

There is a winding, low traffic road I can take riding into town. There is a really nice challenging left sweeper that has a Sweetgum tree overhanging the right lane. Get into Fall,leaves and summathem stack up, and that is bad enough. Now let's get it wet..
It's like marbles under a piece of plywood. Not the place to test your tire. It's not like it's even touching the asphalt.

IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #13 - 07/26/22 at 13:43:02

The old saying goes something like, there are two kinds of riders: the ones who have fallen, and the ones that haven't yet. I have, a few times. The worst thing you can do in ANY situation is to stop riding. Really, freezing up will almost certainly cause you to crash. Ask anybody that has ridden in the dirt, and they'll tell you that a LOT of incredible riding happens when you're scared silly, but KEEP going. Now, on the streets that is not necessarily the best thing to do. I'd say, take the MSF course again. Meanwhile, PRACTICE. Go to an empty church lot or something similar, and practice braking. Start slowly, then build up to a good speed. Practice braking with BOTH brakes. Another useful technique is to rev slightly, then let out the clutch slowly, until the bike moves, then HOLD the clutch there, and control speed with the brake. Only do this in first gear. That's how they teach MC cops to do slow speed maneuvering. The more time you spend on a bike, the more comfortable you'll become. Oh, yeah... don't fight the bike; make it do the work. You'll get it.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 07/28/22 at 14:56:30

Ya'll would not believe how much I slow down when the road get wet !  

I've been ridding Motorcycles since 1968 with putting more miles on my two wheel vehicles than my 4 wheel vehicles every year.    And I still drop my speed by close to half when the road gets wet.

Maybe that is one reason I'm still ridding ?    Smiley

I did let my bike slip out from under me one time in 1974 , but I didn't like it so I don't do that no more.  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 03:01:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Nervous newbie, afraid I bought wrong bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.