Send Topic Print
Second coming (Read 612 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Second coming
07/16/22 at 14:04:33

My tracker has been laid up awhile for one reason or another but I think I’m seeing the end is nearing. It’s been getting upgrades,changes,facelift. The bike was a task to disassemble for a frame / swing inspection & cleaning. I purposely beat the bike to death on and off road with a couple almost full send jumps , it’s been tested and proud to say i found no cracks ( was worried about swingarm ). There was only a few spots on the frame I didn’t use tiny dot of blue loctite , the rear set controls didn’t get any and those were the only 2 things I found a little loose. Goal achieved , I built a durable  dependable cool looking bike. So I’m continuing to clean and reassemble. Did not remove engine or swingarm but the rest of it has been gone thru. Got the sickness it’s hard to walk by it without working on it and all thoughts are of riding it ! Gotta go carb cleaning on the board for today while waiting on gearing to arrive. I think Dave did 101 mph and DBM I believe was 107 mph , good to have goals , achievable goals  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Second coming
Reply #1 - 07/16/22 at 16:03:57

107 mph?  Not me.  Maybe someday.

Good luck with the facelift.  It was already way cool, so I assume it will turn out extra way cool.  Post some pics.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #2 - 07/16/22 at 19:40:45

Yes, pics!!!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 07/16/22 at 22:17:30

What was your top speed DBM ? You had to have wrung out that bike a time or two. My old SR500  would kiss 110 mph with the wind at my back. I’ve fallen just short of the ton but I’m sure with some changes the ton won’t be an issue. Finding suitable gearing for your powerband takes time & money.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 07/17/22 at 10:30:27

TheSneeze wrote on 07/16/22 at 19:40:45:
Yes, pics!!!
-------

Ruttly's Tracker

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 07/17/22 at 12:16:21

The “before” pics , Tanx Moto
Huge list of upgrades & changes , paint not the only change. The noticeable changes are tank , tires , speedo , paint. The rest are performance items and corrections from original build  , things only I would notice/drive me crazy. A list of all things done would take forever , would be easier if it was broken down to engine or chassis. Trying to get all the little items wrapped up. Where it was out of rpms in the 95mph range , now she’s gonna have some longer legs and who doesn’t like long legs. Finished carb yesterday , some cleaning and start some reassembly on the board for today. Gotta get at it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 07/20/22 at 20:17:17

Oooo , New rear sprocket arrived. I hope this one works out , I just hate having to use a half link in the chain. And may need to go back to a 17 tooth counter. I was gonna detune a little but with gearing I got I m gonna need to give it a bumper up. I see the boss gotta go

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/21/22 at 07:20:00

just hate having to use a half link in the chain.

Howcumizzat?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 07/21/22 at 12:01:07

Quite literally the master link is the weakest link and then add another weak link , not me. On a show bike ok , on my bike that takes me places and then takes me back home , absolutely not.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/22/22 at 20:39:58

I was typing out
I don't understand why it would be weaker when I saw it in my head.. Yeah I get it. But you can get a master link that requires riveting. You gotsta put the chain where it goes put the plate on and mushroom the ends of the pins. My SIL brought his Triumph over to use the shop and my problem solving. There is no way one man is doing that job. The
room to get a swing at it just Isn't sufficient. I built a tool and welded it to a busted air chisel tool, he got on the other side and held a four pound hammer on it and I mashed the ends of the pins.
The typical master link with the slotted spring steel clasp ? After I really tried to envision it under load, I can get it. IDK how big your chain is, but the Savage torque might just be an invitation to a failure. IDK if a half link is available that is a riveted link .  If that sounds like something you would consider, maybe you can find what you need to be comfortable riding with it.
Just looked up riveted master and half link. The stuff is out there.
Hope that helps.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 07/22/22 at 22:40:49

Well maybe I’ll find out this weekend if it all works out. Project is moving forward everyday , little by little. Up

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 07/25/22 at 13:39:16

New rear sprocket took care of proper chain adjustment without the use of a half link , only problem is if gearing is too tall I’m stuck with it for now I guess I could go to a 17/51 setup. Rear wheel & shocks on , makes my heart pound thinking about riding it. When I look at it it looks like that square on a Monopoly board “do not collect $200 , go directly to JAIL !
It looks like trouble for sure , it just screams chase me

Old Habits Die Hard

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #12 - 07/25/22 at 21:54:54

You really haven't learned the pics lesson, have you?!   Cool  I learned the hard way and ended up with a 18/52 combo on a 4 speed trans.  The chain won't rub, but I won't know how the gear ratio feels until I get the motor rebuilt and the bike running.  The powers that be says it will work well with my hot rodded motor.  Still anxious!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 07/26/22 at 12:18:34

Oh its gonna rub something somewhere , mine looks good but on a hard decel/brake it will find something to reach out and touch. But I’m happy with it , still have lots of adjustment left. I built it to take abuse , drive chain  is critical to be set up right , at any given moment this this bike might be in the dirt and then back on pavement , I like detours and short cuts , backroads. Works well thru the full range out travel , no binding but then again I installed a chain tensioner , bet you would like SEE that  Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #14 - 07/26/22 at 21:27:39

uh...  YES!  You are clearly slacking.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:17:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Second coming

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!