Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clutch slips from second to first (Read 112 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Clutch slips from second to first
Reply #15 - 07/16/22 at 18:57:04

This is what the punch mark should look like.  The slot in the lever should line up with the punch mark.  If yours doesn't have a punch mark, try to orient the lever exactly as shown in this picture.

Shift_Linkage_Alignment_Mark_2_003.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 07/16/22 at 19:00:46

You don't want it set up like this.  It will cause the link rod to hit the underside of the alternator cover.  That will prevent the shift linkage from rotating the shift drum on upshifts (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th).  It will downshift OK, but upshifts will be messed up.  The problem will be primarily confined to the 1st to 2nd shift due to the extra detent in the shift drum (neutral detent).

Shift_Linkage_Alignment_Mark_Bogus_2_002.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 07/16/22 at 19:02:29

When it's out of whack, the shift rod hits the alternator cover on the upshifts.  Like this.  Note that the rod is also bent.

Shift_Linkage_Clearance_Bogus_Upshift.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 07/16/22 at 19:03:28

When things are correct, the rod remains well away from the alternator cover on the upshifts.  Note that the rod is straight.

Shift_Linkage_Clearance_Normal_Upshift_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 07/16/22 at 19:06:59

Youa also must be concerned about clearance between the shifter lever and the footpeg/frame.  It gets close on the upshifts.  If the lever on the transmission shift shaft is out of phase, or the rod is too long, the shifter lever will hit the footpeg/frame before the shift is complete.  Again, only on upshifts.

Shift_Lever_Clearance_Bogus_2_003.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 07/16/22 at 19:22:50

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/16/22 at 16:08:40:
The older bikes don't have the punch mark.  My 2016 had it but the 1997 engine I have did not have a punch mark.  I will try and post some pics.

both my 88 and 96 did have the punch mark.

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/21/22 at 18:19:26

Whoa! Great pictures thank you a ton bro!

Just got the rod in the mail, I should have it on tomorrow after work after I change the oil.

I'll upload some pictures of the bend also.

Appreciated!

Justin good point about why it got that way, definitely a lot to consider here... I'll be keeping a spare in my backpack just in case.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 07/22/22 at 11:19:02

If you're having a problem dropping into first from neutral, and it will do that if you sit in neutral with with the clutch pulled in long enough for the transmission to stop spinning, if it does not want to drop in, just let the clutch out enough to make contact and spin the gears, pull it back and gently press down, it's gonna say
Riiikk, and you will be in gear. That operation takes a second once you get it. Best is to Not sit in neutral with the clutch pulled in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/04/22 at 06:18:21

So.

Turns out I'm dumb as hell.

The Rod is not bent -- I think at this point the shifting issue has been poor shifting on my part.

BUT - the previous owner put higher risers and handlebars on the bike -- the clutch cable is routed between the triple tree and the tank, (I'm guessing they did this cause of clearance on the new risers/bars). I think because of this the cable is not adjusted properly -- also when resting on the stand, the cable is being pinched between the tank and the tree -- the rubber on the cable is worn down so much that the wire is exposed/eaten away at.

I think replacing the cable is one option, but i've been thinking about upgrading to either Murray's or Vers's Carb kit -- and I think they include a new cable with the kit. Is this line generic and could it be replaced with something longer?

Edit: Got my cables mixed up -- anyone know where I can get a longer clutch cable?

Thanks

« Last Edit: 08/04/22 at 08:33:03 by Surviving Philadelphia »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:38:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slips from second to first

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.