Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Murrays Carb kit? (Read 211 times)
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Re: Murrays Carb kit?
Reply #15 - 07/17/22 at 12:19:53

Well, I got one .... sort of. I cancelled the order and got refunded, but a few days later a box arrived. It has the manifold gasket, carb, air intake tube (that's blue), a tube that I'm not sure what it goes to, two mounting bolts, installed throttle cables, but no instructions or paperwork.

Seems, good and the parts are good. Waiting to see what he wants done as far as returning it. Lancer's seems to be a better option. However, Murry's seems to be good/same parts and easy to order, but lacks the info and extras.

IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #16 - 07/27/22 at 16:40:03

Update just for the sake of info. I installed the VM36 and it works great. Pros - Installation was fairly easy, except for one thing (see cons). Didn't have to adjust hardly anything. Even the idle was dead on. Probably a fluke but it was nice. Bike runs fantastic! Virtually all popping/backfire is gone, throttle response is very nice, acceleration feels faster and smoother, and it just feels like the bike is asking to be pushed harder. I like it.
Cons - I was sent the wrong intake gasket bolts. Had to make a run to Lowes and get a couple M7 hex head bolts and washers. The 3 ply silicon connector tube was blue. I knew that from the pictures, so it was expected but why wouldn't it be black? There was no info with the parts, so I don't know what sized jets were used and there was no documentation, install or otherwise included.

All in all, I'm happy with the performance. I ordered a black 3 ply intake connector just to look right. I painted the blue one, but didn't think it would last long term.

Hindsight being 20/20 Lancers would be a much better buy in every regard. Murry's website was a big bonus for him and he was quick to ship, but all that is not enough to outweigh Lancers expertise, attention to detail, and personal touch.  

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 07/27/22 at 18:06:12

So glad you got it runnin Smitty.  Installation looks good.

You might wanna re-route your drain tube.  That tube off the bottom of your float bowl is an overflow, not a vent.  It's intended dump any fuel that leaks past the needle & seat and increases float level to a point where it will overflow into the engine.  It should run down, behind and below the engine.  That way, any excess fuel ends up on the ground.

Smith2_VM36_Drain_Routing.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #18 - 07/27/22 at 18:07:49

Good call. I was aware. I just had it out of the way when I was putting the battery box back in.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 07/27/22 at 18:09:07

From the other side, you can actually see that the line is currently full of fuel.  Re-route the line, turn on the fuel, and observe the drain for ten minutes or so (this assumes you have a Raptor petcock).  You shouldn't have any fuel dribbling out of that overflow line.

Smith2_VM36_Drain_Problem.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #20 - 07/29/22 at 19:47:57

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/27/22 at 18:09:07:
From the other side, you can actually see that the line is currently full of fuel.  Re-route the line, turn on the fuel, and observe the drain for ten minutes or so (this assumes you have a Raptor petcock).  You shouldn't have any fuel dribbling out of that overflow line.

So, after routing the overflow line, it's not dribbling but it is weeping gas. If I leave the raptor petcock on, there will be a little wet spot. I've not had that before. Issue or is that just the nature of the VM36? Do you have to turn the petcock of when not in use?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/30/22 at 11:12:25

While it's good practice to turn the petcock off when not using the motorcycle, (especially if it will be sitting for more than a few hours), your float needle isn't seating.  

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 07/30/22 at 18:40:27

I ALWAYS turn my petcock off when the motorcycle is not running.  The needle & seat in the carburetor is not a stop valve.

The VM carb I got from Lancer does not have an overflow, so I can't comment on how well a VM needle & seat holds fuel, but I can tell you that the three PWKs I have installed all behaved exactly like your VM. Let it sit on the side stand and a very small puddle of fuel forms on the pavement below the overflow tube (like about the size of a twenty-five-cent piece, one or two drops).

The overflow is like a standpipe in the float bowl.  It terminates about 4mm above normal fuel level.  Just the action of placing the bike on the side stand will slosh the fuel around and cause a bit to dribble down the overflow tube.  IMO, as long as you don't have fuel continuously dribbling out the overflow tube, you are OK.

But I suggest you ALWAYS turn off your petcock when the engine is not running.  Buy gas, turn it off.  Get a beer, turn it off.  Run into the house to grab your wallet, turn it off.  Put it to bed for the evening, turn it off.  The needle & seat were never intended to be a stop valve.  If they were, it would have a handwheel.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:40:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Murrays Carb kit?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.