Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Was this justified? - Akron PD (Read 87 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Was this justified? - Akron PD
07/04/22 at 07:22:44

Where were these guys a few weeks ago in Texas?  It appears 8 officers unloaded their magazines and the perp was struck 60 times.  Perhaps someone with LE experience can offer some insight.   I'm curious how they found the shell case that he allegedly shot that precipitated the hail of gun fire.  There are lots of videos, but they really aren't conclusive......

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Was this justified? - Akron PD
Reply #1 - 07/05/22 at 05:15:35

Gee, no takers...

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/05/22 at 06:19:27

What is the acceptable timeframe to respond?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/05/22 at 10:36:32

My second visit to this thread.
IDK what the absolute correct answer is.
Should he have been shot? If he actually did shoot at the cops, yeah.
Sixty times? Seems excessive, but is it somehow wrong? I don't have any feelings or thoughts on the matter. If there were innocents behind him, then shooting at him puts the people behind him at risk. So, as soon as he is no longer a threat they should stop shooting. I'd be interested to know how many shots were fired at him.
But, evil can never be dead enough.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/05/22 at 10:40:39

Eegore wrote on 07/05/22 at 06:19:27:
 What is the acceptable timeframe to respond?

The number of people active here isn't very big. It's been 24 hours. And it shows it's been seen by just about everyone. I only came back because I was hoping someone had expressed an opinion.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/05/22 at 13:01:44

Just an FYI the number of times a post is read is not calculated by unique viewers.  My software alone adds 2 or 3 each time it passes through the site, so using the times read is not an indicator that different people are reading this.

As an example I will add 50 views in less than 20 seconds.  

Either way I don't feel the information regarding Akron is informative enough for me to make any conclusion.  A lot of it has to do with how the questions of use of force are framed.

The Supreme Court has rules that If officers are justified in firing at a suspect in order to end a severe threat to public safety, they need not stop shooting until the threat has ended.

If 8 officers shot 8 times, which takes about 2 seconds on average, a suspect would be shot 64 times.

Things people don't think about is that each officer can not assume someone else will shoot.  What if a gun jammed?  What if the firing angle of your partner became unsafe?

It would be unrealistic to expect any officer to discuss these things before they engage an imminent threat.  

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/05/22 at 13:46:22

Police chased the same car the night before in a brief chase that ended after a minute when the car left city limits. (Which is ridiculous but that’s another story) so when they saw the car again, they pursued and were shot at. Eventually the car stopped the kid got out and ran. Tasers either missed or were ineffective and I’m sure the police were screaming at him to stop but he kept running and eventually turned around. You can see that in the video. Should all of the officers had emptied their clips? No, probably not.

But, my point of view has always been I want the police force to be the toughest and meanest “gang” in a city. I’ve got no problem prosecuting that cop who knelt on that one thugs neck for so long. That was clearly out of line. But otherwise, I gave cops a huge latitude on use of force when dealing with these thugs night after night after night. Remember, it was only a couple of days before this happened two police officers in California were shot at point blank range.

And after last night in Philadelphia, if you’re a cop in an inner city and you go on a call, somebody shoots at you and is running away. You pursue and they turn back towards you. What are you going to do? What are you going to do?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/05/22 at 15:08:34

Pretty much with Web on this one,... cops have to make some tough calls in real time, and cops ain't there to give a fair fight,... and I generally give them the benefit of doubt.
... but,.. this does seem excessive.  Really excessive.

This sounds like movie shootout excess, and turns out the guy didn't have a weapon.  All those shots are theirs.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:30:51

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Was this justified? - Akron PD

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.