Send Topic Print
I now have 3! (Read 153 times)
Smerft85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I now have 3!
06/27/22 at 21:08:20

Just picked up my third Savage with good title. One for the wife, one for me to just fix up back to factory and the third will eventually get a weld on hardtail even though the roads around here are terrible. Think I already have the newest one diagnosed with a bad petcock and battery, the one I got a week ago for my wife is a runner, and the first one I picked up somehow ended up with a wd-40 straw weaved under the valves which caused me to strip it down completely just to rebuild the entire thing. Once I get a few more posts done and can add pictures I will do so, still on probation  :'(

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I now have 3!
Reply #1 - 06/28/22 at 11:19:28

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 06/28/22 at 11:19:42

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/28/22 at 11:25:27

Let's get it Done,Duude!

How did anyone get a squirt straw in there and not know it?
If I discovered something like that, I would be concerned about what other moronic crap I might find.

IP Logged
Smerft85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/28/22 at 15:10:59

That's exactly why I tore that one down to a pile of parts and started from scratch, I got it mostly rebuilt now enough that I was able to hear it fire up for a few seconds. I figured $300 for a 90% complete bike with clear title wasn't so bad and it gave me a winter project. The one I just picked up yesterday I think is a simple fix, previous owner said he couldn't get it to run and was acting like it wasn't getting fuel, petcock in the prime position dumped fuel, so now I wait for a good battery to check my theory. I'll post the pictures of the wd-40 straw in the valves once I'm able to post pictures.

IP Logged
Smerft85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/28/22 at 17:34:10

Testing for a picture of the spray straw, hope it works.

20210902_201905.jpg
  IP Logged
Smerft85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/28/22 at 17:35:07

And the other side of the head.

20210902_201848.jpg
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #7 - 06/28/22 at 17:53:33

Just when you think you have seen every kind of engine failure...   Shocked

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 06/28/22 at 20:29:16

Welcome to the club. I have 2 riders an '03' and a 2011, both have been set up differently and make their personalities known. Like you I have a 3rd and a 4th, one titled wreck and another titled frame for a hoped for one day chopper project. Thought I would get started on it last winter, but in late fall bought a Honda Fury and my attention got diverted.

IP Logged
Smerft85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/28/22 at 22:04:43

Understandable, I've got 13 bikes total at my property with a box of parts or maintenance stuff next to each of them. It's never ending but worth it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 06/29/22 at 06:21:19

Smerft85 wrote on 06/28/22 at 22:04:43:
Understandable, I've got 13 bikes total at my property with a box of parts or maintenance stuff next to each of them. It's never ending but worth it.

No way I could handle that.
You da' man... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Smerft85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/29/22 at 06:28:55

My secret to it is being a full time dad, I basically retired at 34 so I like to have something to do.  As a bonus, when I hit a point with one bike that I'm stumped with, I can move onto the next one. Right now I can't figure out my most recent Savage purchase, I pulled the carb, attached a jumper battery and turned it over with a touch of starter fluid in the cylinder but it won't fire, has spark and I forced the air and fuel, confusing me a bit.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/29/22 at 17:20:28

I'd check the valve timing. Turn the thing over, using a socket on the left side, under the screw in plug. Rotate the crank the way the wheels go.

Ohh,yeah, you can get a spark with the plug out,because the battery isn't making compression. If the voltage drops too much it won't spark. I don't remember the critical voltage. But if you have a good, hot battery, it should go.
If you have been cranking on it and not putting a charge to it, you might want to get the battery juiced up.

IP Logged
Smerft85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/29/22 at 20:17:00

Everything sounds right as it turns over so I wasn't leaning toward timing just yet. I did get a small backfire and flame out of the carb side (carb still removed) so I'm curious if the previous owner may have put a plug in it that doesn't reach far enough, not letting the spark be in the cylinder enough to ignite, maybe a long shot but I figure I can barrow parts from the other one that isn't finished yet to test a few things. The one I'm rebuilding that had the straw in the valves is sitting in almost identical condition and will fire right up with a sprits of starting fluid so I'll try that plug in it first and test my theory. Whichever one will fire up and run first will get plated first, will be nice to have an identical ride as the wife to cruise around with her and not feel like I'm babying a bigger bike too much, cruising my 05 victory vegas with her gz250 isn't as fun as it sounds.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/29/22 at 21:28:52

so I'll try that plug in it first and..

Sounds like a good start.
If the plugs are different, yeeHaa!
I use ether any time I'm having trouble getting one to lite.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:51:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I now have 3!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.