Squishy Brakes (Read 109 times)
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Squishy Brakes
06/26/22 at 15:02:34

Howdy,

My front brakes are extra squishy, but firm up after I pump them (sometimes they feel a lot more firm the next day, not sure why).

I bled the brakes yesterday, my fluid was dark amber, like really bad hangover piss (does this really matter? some say it does, some say it doesn't.)

I was hoping this would fix the issue but they still feel squishy and pumping still works.

I'm could there still be air in the system? I attached a hose to the bleeder and did it the old head way, pumping and releasing.

Also what could  be causing air to get into the brakes? I noticed my brake line is REALLY taught (was hard to reconnect the caliper due to the line being so taught after replacing my pads). could the line being taught be allowing air in somewhere? I never see any signs of a leak.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket master cylinder options if the cylinder is bad? The OEM is like 400 bucks.

2013 s40 6k miles.

Thanks everyone

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Squishy Brakes
Reply #1 - 06/26/22 at 15:46:48

if the fluid is tinted, it's got water in it.
change it, only a half pt., not hard and might solve the squishy issue too.

Most likely you have air in the lines, but it could be a bad hose too.
get ss braided lines, much less squishy.  I have seen bad lines bulge up like a balloon.

master not likely to be bad.

WWW   IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #2 - 06/28/22 at 07:58:41

2nd opinion same as first.

95% chance of still having air.

Brake fluid absorbes water and needs to be changed from time to time. Dirty probably because old.

Air will get trapped in the caliper sometimes.  Sometimes I find on bikes you may have to remove the caliper and hold up higher than the master cylinder and bleed it.  Just a small amount of air will give you the squishy feel.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 06/29/22 at 14:02:20

Brakes are a closed-loop system. If air has gotten into the system it's an indication that something in the system has, or is about to, fail. Most likely is the caliper seals.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/04/22 at 18:04:05

Thanks everyone,

I Will flush them totally once I get time and report back -- it's my daily driver and they are working enough to stop when I need to currently. I just pump them every morning.

IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/13/22 at 05:54:12

Update:

completely flushed the brakes, no air in the lines, new pads installed. At first, it seemed like the problem was solved but the lever got squishy pretty quickly again.

I'm going to upgrade to a SS line, but I think I should replace the MC as well--  does anyone know of any good aftermarket MC replacements? The OEM is listed at an insane $400 dollars from the shop up the street -- I could get a rebuild kit but i suppose but I'm wondering if anyone runs an aftermarket with a cleaner look.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 07/13/22 at 06:21:23

The MC cylinder is rebuildable. It's a 30 minute job and the parts are inexpensive. No special tools required, but compressed are makes the piston come out EASY (put a rag over it so it doesn't fly across the room).

IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/04/22 at 06:06:12

So, parts came in. I may have over shot on the length of the SS brake line I bought by roughly 4 inches or so. Is the extra length problematic as far as brake performance is concerned? I'm hoping to route the line in such a way that the cable wont be flopping around, trying to avoid having to return it.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 08/04/22 at 06:19:14

Extra line will not affect brake performance. You can use up the extra line by having it pass behind the left side of the streeing stem and then routing back in front to the right. Make sure there isn't any binding as you swing the bars from lock-to-lock.

IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/10/22 at 06:15:47

Thanks Gary,

The new SS line and the MC rebuild finally solved the issues, way better performance on the front brake.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:50:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squishy Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.