Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shop upgrade (Read 75 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Shop upgrade
06/25/22 at 21:34:00

I think I have just obsoleted my drill press.  Picking up this bad boy tomorrow.  Mo betta!   Cool

IMG_7975.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Shop upgrade
Reply #1 - 06/26/22 at 03:36:38

Cool!

I got one of those a couple years ago - making parts is now much easier.

Keep your drill press however - they still work great for drilling holes!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #2 - 06/26/22 at 06:39:01

I have both a full size and a bench top drill press.  Not sure I need to keep both after this one is up and running.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/26/22 at 07:27:02

I use the bench top for deburring and polishing parts at high speed and one of the quick change pad holders.

The full size at low speed for drilling holes and I'm still learning what I do with the mill/drill.

So there's quite a bit of convenience in not changing speeds and chucks.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/26/22 at 10:20:57

Yeah, don't get in a hurry to get rid of the drill press.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 06/26/22 at 12:00:52

Ooooooooo Mamma!  That looks good.   Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/26/22 at 18:27:41

Nice!!!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #7 - 06/28/22 at 08:29:11

And now for the best part!  I paid $250 for it.  Yup!  Sometimes life just goes your way.  Even though it was 8 hours away and I spent more on diesel fuel than the machine, it still pencils out quite nicely.  This model goes for $2100 and up when bought new.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #8 - 06/28/22 at 10:54:03

It's home!  It won't be operational until I get a phase converter wired in.  My shop 220v is single phase, this machine is three phase power.  I will have to trickle in the tooling I need as well to keep that under the radar.

20220628_1022581.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #9 - 06/28/22 at 10:54:56

I had to pick up a 2 ton engine hoist to get it out of my truck and into the shop.  A man cannot have too many tools!   Cool

20220623_1529121.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/28/22 at 11:15:51

So, hoist,fuel, and $250.00 for the mill, and the accumulation of tools for it so you can use it,, IDK what a hoist runs,but it's valuable to have,, all I see is
You really got a good deal.
I watch a machinest in Florida
Aboms world, I think,,

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/videos/machine-shop-tours/abom79/amp/

He goes to swap meets and picks up good stuff for cheap, seems like a genuine good guy. You might drop him a line and see if he knows of anything going on in your neck o th woods.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #11 - 06/28/22 at 11:59:45

It is a Harbor Freight hoist.  Retail on it right now is $320.  It was only used a handful of times, so it is like new condition.  I got off of FB Marketplace for $200.

A guy in Florida knowing deals on the other side of the country is a reach, at best.  Since I ran a metal fab shop for 24 years, I know a lot of contacts on the left side of the country.  The drill/mill came with a complete set of hold down clamps, and an almost complete set of collets (only missing the 7/8").  End mills, well, that is gonna cost.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/28/22 at 12:27:59

Since I ran a metal fab shop for 24 years,

Excellent!

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #13 - 06/28/22 at 21:16:24

That is a nice addition to any shop. Something like that is why I peruse Craigslist everyday. It reminds me of an experience I had many years ago.

There was a marine machine shop near me, they also sold props and vast amounts of other boat hardware. For years it was run by an old guy who lived in a house across the street. He was in his 80's and his name was Marvin. The machine shop had long been shut down, but everyday he walked across the street and opened up to sell the props and various parts in the big warehouse attached. He would open at 8:00, come into office in a suit, befitting the manager of a large machining operation and sit in the office waiting on calls and customers.  

Shop had not operated in years, he was just selling down marine hardware inventory. At noon he would close up and walk across street to his house and have lunch until 1:00, when he would come back and sit in office until 5:00 when he would close.

Many days he would not get a single customer, but he would sit there and bide his time. If you came in looking for something, he would spend an hour talking to you, taking you for a tour of the shop and warehouses and telling you the story of how he just shut the place down one day and how the entire operation had been for sale since that day but no one was willing to pay the asking price in cash, they all want credit or financing.

Every time you came in it was the same, the same tour, the same story, as if he had never met or seen you before. At some point he decided to have a full liquidation. Adds went out, signs up, for a 2 weekend complete sale "everything must go".

I went the first weekend, everything was way over priced, I did the tour and story for like the 15th time, the guy Marvin acting like he had never seen me before and had no idea who I was even though I had bought a lot of stuff from him over the years. Everything in the place being priced too high with little sold. I bought some small stiff, taps, wrenches.

During the tour we came across an older Bridgeport bench top mill, very clean and I asked the guy Marvin how much. He gave me a story and how he had to get $800.00. I said it was too much as I had to get it out of there and with moving it and such I needed a better deal and we moved on.

Fast forward 6 weeks and the liquidation sale is still going on, so I stop again. the old guy Marvin is sitting there and we go through the whole 1 hour smooze and tour again, like he has never met or seen me before in his life, and we come to the mill. I ask him, Marvin how much for the mill? He goes, I told you last time you were here 800 dollars.

It just goes to show, you don't ever know.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/28/22 at 22:17:30

He goes, I told you last time you were here 800 dollars.

I would have laughed till I couldn't stand up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 03:29:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Shop upgrade

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.