Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gear indicator? (Read 83 times)
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Gear indicator?
06/20/22 at 08:25:25

Anyone use a great indicator on an s40? I looked all over and can find references but nothing concrete. I've used gear indicator on most of my bikes, Healtech or 12Oclock Labs, and would like to add one to my sons s40. I'm using the s40 to teach my boys how's to ride and it's easier to get feedback on which grear they are in. Anyone used a gear indicator on a s40?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Gear indicator?
Reply #1 - 06/20/22 at 17:54:15

This is my opinion and while it doesn't answer your question I hope it helps you or someone else who is teaching or learning how to ride.

Keep your eyes on the road!  

The sound of the bike will tell you everything you need to know about shifting. (Until you get into 4th and 5th gears because the ratios are so close.)

I would teach your sons to be seen (because loud pipes don't actually save lives).  Make sure your lights work.  Bob-and-weave in your lane and make eye contact with drivers who may be about to pull out in front of you.  

Sure, look at the speedometer to confirm your speed, check your mirrors, and maybe confirm you didn't forget to reset the turn signal switch after that last corner.   Other than that, you have way more important things to be worried about out there.

Think about racers.  Off-road racers don't have tachs or gear indicators.  They ride by sound and feel.  Road races might have some indicators available but they are too busy hanging off the side of the bike to be looking at that stuff.

« Last Edit: 06/20/22 at 22:04:25 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 06/20/22 at 18:14:21

While that is a nice thought, a gear indicator and tac help you learn the sounds of the engine a whole lot faster and safer for the engine and rider. Personally, I use a tac far more than a speedo. I typically only use a speedo when I see cops. My boys are very far from being racers ... yet. Wink

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/22/22 at 08:59:58

I've never seen or heard of one on a Savage.  

I actually never thought to use one since the gears behave so different until as Ohiomoto said you get to 4 and 5.  What are the advantages besides having a visual confirmation of what the bike's feedback is giving you?

IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 06/22/22 at 09:22:20

Solidly knowing what the feedback means. Takes a lot out of the learning curve. For me teaching my boys, its easier to be able to say be in 2nd or 3rd gear, then saying when it feels right, shift to whatever's next, because they don't know what gear it's in. I ride with them and use my Cardo com to communicate.

It's no different than saying you don't need a speedo. Just feel the wind resistance and engine to know your speed. That's true and fairly easy if you've been riding for a while on the same bike and know from using a speedo what those sounds and wind feel like. The speedo helps you avoid a whole lot of speeding tickets, while you are "learning". Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 06/22/22 at 10:11:26

There was a shift/gear indicator feature in a Vapor device I had some years back but they are no longer made.  I liked the device, it did all sorts of things, about 30 separate functions.

It seems like I did see a speedo/tach + that had a gear indicator function.  I’ve looked at DC Motive products recently, perhaps it was there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/22/22 at 13:16:41

I really wanted a tach when I started riding. By the time I figured out how to do it, I realized I didn't need it. Would it have been helpful to have a gear indicator? Yeah, but I just count. And when I tried to accelerate, if it didn't want to, I'd down shift. Acceleration dropping off says upshift. And when I tried to get sixth and nothing happened, I was pretty sure I was in fifth.
I'd suggest just ride them and get comfortable with them. You might find it's workable. The way it feels and sounds will tell when it needs shifted.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 06/22/22 at 13:20:36

It's workable and very doable. I learned by myself and ran my engine too hard on a little Vstar650. Learning it's sounds and feel. A gear indicator isn't a necessity, but I added a tach and I like the gear indicator on my Stratoliner. It's a convenience ... and I'm also trying to get my 10 post! Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/23/22 at 08:13:38

When acceleration starts to wane,it's time to shift.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:39:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gear indicator?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.