Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sportiest tires for the S40? (Read 81 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sportiest tires for the S40?
06/12/22 at 08:33:10

I bought my 2013 Savage in 2016, and I only have 4k miles on it, but the stock tires are showing dry rot, so I will have them replaced. I am looking for the grippiest, sportiest tire out there, I'm not necessarily concerned with the thread life since I don't put that many miles on it.

I was looking at the Michelin Commander II tires, I've always had good luck with Michelins, they are the only tires I ever use on my cars. Is this a good choice?

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Sportiest tires for the S40?
Reply #1 - 06/12/22 at 08:37:14

There is also the Michelin Commander III Cruiser Motorcycle Tires, which are more expensive than Commander II, but looking at the thread pattern I am concerned about their rain performance.

Cruiser II

Cruiser III

IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/12/22 at 09:36:03

Totally agree with your concern about wet road performance. I'd favor the Commander II, unless I lived out west.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/12/22 at 10:42:43

Looking at the site, and they are claiming great wet performance. I have just ordered a set of the commander III. They are expensive, which pisses me off, but there are rumors a major tire shortage is coming, so better to get them now.

https://www.michelinman.com/motorcycle/tires/michelin-commander-iii-cruiser?g...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/12/22 at 13:48:33

You put 4k miles on your bike over a 6-year period.  Do you really ever ride in the rain?  

I put more miles than that on my bike a year and I've only been caught in the rain 2 or 3 times ever!!!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/12/22 at 14:04:05

ohiomoto wrote on 06/12/22 at 13:48:33:
You put 4k miles on your bike over a 6-year period.  Do you really ever ride in the rain?  

I put more miles than that on my bike a year and I've only been caught in the rain 2 or 3 times ever!!!

I mostly ride my other bike, this one is for quick local trips only - so no, I don't take trips on it in the rain, but I was just concerned how the tire would perform should I get caught in it. The thread pattern looks like it isn't suited for rain, but looks can be deceiving.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/14/22 at 18:17:11

Received the Commander III tires today, man they look and feel sticky! Bringing them to my shop tomorrow to have them put on.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/16/22 at 17:20:02

Had them put on today, the bike feels like it rides with a lot more authority now, and they look great!

IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 06/20/22 at 19:15:45

I don't know about the Commanders 2/3 on the s40, but I know in the heavey cruisers like my Stratoliner and Vstar 1300 I had before, the Michelines are reknowned for their longevity and performance. The heavy cruiser guys are getting up to 20k on the rears. Wet reaction, from personal experience on my heavey bikes, is top of the line.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:40:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportiest tires for the S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.