Send Topic Print
Dyna Muffler Swap (Read 147 times)
Jayhob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dyna Muffler Swap
05/24/22 at 09:12:46

Just started my muffler swap and I did not realize that the stock mounting bolts are integrated into the stock muffler. Is there any recommendations for what to use for a bolt. I looks like I could use just a regular nut and bolt but it might be a challenge to remove as there would be no way to get a wrench on it. Carriage bolt maybe?

2014 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Dyna Muffler Swap
Reply #1 - 05/24/22 at 10:38:00

Whatever you can make work for you. If you have to take the muffler to a shop and have a nut brazed in the bracket, you don't lose points.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #2 - 05/27/22 at 00:45:50

The harley dyna muffler i used had a rail that accepted two carriage bolts that bolted straight to the bracket on the bike
I cranked the inlet of the dyna muffler 8 degrees by cutting almost right through in a wedge shaped cut and rewelding it up using stainless steel welding rods.  it then fitted like a glove after bushing it down to fit the suzuki header.

Hiko   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/27/22 at 17:42:20

I welded mine on almost right after I bought the bike in 2015, I dont remember all the details on how I mounted it besides the weld.

I never rejet the carb, how much do you think my air/fuel ratio is affected? The bike seems to run just fine, albeit with some decent popping on deceleration, and the fuel mileage is poor, but it runs and accelerates strong.

IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #4 - 05/31/22 at 17:54:59

och wrote on 05/27/22 at 17:42:20:
I welded mine on almost right after I bought the bike in 2015, I dont remember all the details on how I mounted it besides the weld.

I never rejet the carb, how much do you think my air/fuel ratio is affected? The bike seems to run just fine, albeit with some decent popping on deceleration, and the fuel mileage is poor, but it runs and accelerates strong.

Have you tuned the idle mix? I have a Dyna pipe (for now). I tuned the mix and run only pure gas. I get the occasional "pop," but far from excessive. As far as I know, the jets are OEM. I average 60+ MPG.

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/31/22 at 20:56:04

I have never messed with a carburetor in my life, I understand the basic concept of how it works, but I am in no way ready to attempt tuning it.

IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #6 - 06/01/22 at 12:04:57

och wrote on 05/31/22 at 20:56:04:
I have never messed with a carburetor in my life, I understand the basic concept of how it works, but I am in no way ready to attempt tuning it.

Plenty of resources here and YouTube. If you can turn a small screw and listen to the idle speed, you can tune it. I promise. It really is THAT simple. Fairly important, too.

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/01/22 at 12:12:21

And beside the idle mixture adjustment, there's a high speed test and a mid speed test which you have results already... poor mpg due to the white spacer being over trimmed.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/09/22 at 00:59:35

Lately I've been getting a lot of popping on deceleration, and the bike shut down on me a few times at idle. I think it may be my pipe + increased amount of ethanol they have been adding to gasoline.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/09/22 at 05:34:34

It would only be your pipe if you have an exhaust leak.  Stock jetting should work just fine with the Dyna muffler.  I have one and my jetting is real close to stock.

Also, make sure your idle is set around 1100 rpm.  A low idle can lead to backfires and stalling.

Lastly, a failing petcock (or running out of fuel) will cause the symptoms you mentioned.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/09/22 at 07:17:55

ohiomoto wrote on 07/09/22 at 05:34:34:
It would only be your pipe if you have an exhaust leak.  Stock jetting should work just fine with the Dyna muffler.  I have one and my jetting is real close to stock.

Also, make sure your idle is set around 1100 rpm.  A low idle can lead to backfires and stalling.

Lastly, a failing petcock (or running out of fuel) will cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Thank you, you are probably right. I had recently had my cables replaced with longer ones to accommodate my 2" risers - they probably didn't adjust the idle speed screw properly.

Exhaust leak is highly unlikely, I had the pipe tig welded. And my petcock is the genuine Yamaha Raptor.

I'll adjust the idle and see it it gets better.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/09/22 at 08:24:33

The exhaust is famous for leaking at the head. Just snug them up. If you try to get it tight enough so it won't get loose, you'll cause yourself big trouble

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:43:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Muffler Swap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.