Patern parts (Read 56 times)
Grandpa 68
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Patern parts
05/14/22 at 03:38:42

Sometimes they just don`t fit.
I had a starting problem and went for a new starter solenoid. Wasn`t the problem. So I opened up the starter motor. The brushes were really worn down so I ordered a repair kit supposedly for my year of manufacture (1992). It didn`t fit. there was no way it was going to.The plate the brushes sat on was totally wrong. long story short I used the original plate and made the new brushes fit (3mm too wide).
This got the bike working. Very happy.
About a week later I`m riding along very happily when all of a sudden the bike stops. No lights nothing. Tested the battery (I had bought a multi meter by now) The battery was on 2v. The new starter solenoid had failed in the on position and had run the battery down.
Cheap parts aren`t always cheap and I got what I paid for. Put the old one back on. Fine.

Lessons learned - Don`t guess with electrics
                         Start with a multi meter
                          Find better parts (pay a bit more)
Anyway the bikes running and I`m smiling again. Thought I`d share.

IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Patern parts
Reply #1 - 05/14/22 at 07:31:38

Good job Gramps! Thanks for sharing. I am going through the same things with my old, abandoned bike and have also reached the same conclusions! Keep up the good work!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/14/22 at 09:46:08

Grandpa 68 wrote on 05/14/22 at 03:38:42:
About a week later I`m riding along very happily when all of a sudden the bike stops. No lights nothing. Tested the battery (I had bought a multi meter by now) The battery was on 2v. The new starter solenoid had failed in the on position and had run the battery down.

Something to check when you get your battery going... the decomp controller(black box above carb) can fill up with water and corrode causing the starter to run all the time.

WWW   IP Logged
Grandpa 68
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/14/22 at 11:08:52

Thanks. I`ll take a look tomorrow.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 05/15/22 at 21:05:55

Grandpa, I for one always just go for the OEM part, exception being the Raptor Petcock. Regularly riding 2 S40/LS650's, Gary and Shawn, the parts guys at my local dealer have gotten to know me pretty well over the past few years.

You can save a couple bucks and often futz around, but in end we want the ride running ASAP.

And Mr. Verslagen, thanks for the feedback to this. I am currently, finally installing the head plug from you. Tank on '03' went for paint and while it is off decided to do all the service below it. Head plug, valve adjust, new plug (even though old plug with 3K miles looks fine). While I am down there will look at controller and check through connections under the tank.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/15/22 at 21:08:57

I had quite a bit of resistance in my connectors and used Deoxit to clean them up.  good stuff.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 13:33:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Patern parts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.